Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Nov 4, 2019 at 4:17 PM Post #43,156 of 48,561
Hey thanks I was looking at the shp9500 how are they for RPGs or are they mostly for fps

Thanks
shps are pretty good with everything except with action movies. I find them a bit boring especially with the stock pads. I swapped on ZMF micro suede pads on these and now they have a fun v shaped sound signature with a wider sound stage.

Nov 4, 2019 at 7:23 PM Post #43,158 of 48,561
Hi all, I'm a new member on this forum, not really an audiophile but I'm sick of gaming advertised headsets and I decided to get myself a boom mic and ditch a "gaming" headset for some good open-back headphones. I went through the headphones on the first page kindly rated and reviewed by Mad Lust Envy but you see I'm and indecisive person and can't seem to choose one of them. Could any kind soul point me in the right direction for all round headphones for gaming, with slightly more to offer in the single player experience and a good base, I do play competitively in Apex, CS:GO etc but the single player experience is more important to me. My price range would have to be something around €100-150 more or less for the headphones and I don't mind spending a bit extra on an amp if the headphones would last me a good while.

So far my list to choose from contains these headphones :

- AKG K-702
- beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro
- Audio-Technica ATH-AD900x or Audio-Technica ATH-AD700x
- Sennheiser hd 598
- Philips Fidelio X2 (tad bit on the expensive side)
- Seen some people advising one of the HD6XX/650/600/580

I can imagine that some of you are probably tired of people like me but I genuinely never had a proper pair of headphones and I just dont want to make a mistake, so any reply at all with advise from anyone will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Edit: I should probably add that I don't really listen to music outside of a car environment and movies are not as high of a priority as games but it would be a nice addition to the headphones if they played them nicely. Also I game mainly on PC

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2019 at 10:37 PM Post #43,159 of 48,561
Hi all, I'm a new member on this forum, not really an audiophile but I'm sick of gaming advertised headsets and I decided to get myself a boom mic and ditch a "gaming" headset for some good open-back headphones. I went through the headphones on the first page kindly rated and reviewed by Mad Lust Envy but you see I'm and indecisive person and can't seem to choose one of them. Could any kind soul point me in the right direction for all round headphones for gaming, with slightly more to offer in the single player experience and a good base, I do play competitively in Apex, CS:GO etc but the single player experience is more important to me. My price range would have to be something around €100-150 more or less for the headphones and I don't mind spending a bit extra on an amp if the headphones would last me a good while.

So far my list to choose from contains these headphones :

- AKG K-702
- beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro
- Audio-Technica ATH-AD900x or Audio-Technica ATH-AD700x
- Sennheiser hd 598
- Philips Fidelio X2 (tad bit on the expensive side)
- Seen some people advising one of the HD6XX/650/600/580

I can imagine that some of you are probably tired of people like me but I genuinely never had a proper pair of headphones and I just dont want to make a mistake, so any reply at all with advise from anyone will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Edit: I should probably add that I don't really listen to music outside of a car environment and movies are not as high of a priority as games but it would be a nice addition to the headphones if they played them nicely. Also I game mainly on PC

I was in the exact same situation a few years ago and decided to go with the Fidelio X2. It's great for the use you are describing and can't recommend it enough. I own other headphones now and the X2 is still one of my favs.

Nov 5, 2019 at 12:29 AM Post #43,160 of 48,561
I was in the exact same situation a few years ago and decided to go with the Fidelio X2. It's great for the use you are describing and can't recommend it enough. I own other headphones now and the X2 is still one of my favs.
Thank you very much for your reply and your suggestion. I heard many good things about Fidelio's both the original and X2, I used to look for the original ones a while ago since I heard from a similar forum that they're a tad bit better if you can find them but I failed, perhaps it's better for me to just go for the X2s.

Edit: Spelling

Nov 5, 2019 at 2:15 AM Post #43,162 of 48,561
Thank you very much for your reply and your suggestion. I heard many good things about Fidelio's both the original and X2, I used to look for the original ones a while ago since I heard from a similar forum that they're a tad bit better if you can find them but I failed, perhaps it's better for me to just go for the X2s.

Edit: Spelling
I’d look out for some fire-sale prices on the X2s during Black Friday period. The X3 is incoming (Q1 2020) and retailers will be looking to clear X2 inventory.
You could wait for the X3s but word is they’ll launch in the 3-400 price range, if not more, so you’d likely be paying at least 3 times more for the X3s at least until they’ve been on the market long enough to see significant discounts.

Nov 5, 2019 at 2:25 AM Post #43,163 of 48,561
Your situation mirrors mine! I have the HD800S now but still love the X2s. Can’t wait to see what they’ve done with the X3s although am tempering my optimism for now given some early hands-on impressions from a French AV site. They were positive about it but suggested that the improved clarity and air on the high end came at the expense of the low end presence that the X2s are famous for (relative to open backed dynamics, that is).

Nov 5, 2019 at 2:28 AM Post #43,164 of 48,561
@Mad Lust Envy can you get Astro to send you the newest iterations of a40 and a50? Who knows, maybe they've gotten better over the years and we could actually have a nice clean wireless setup for vss on console instead of the pile of hacks/workarounds we have now.

Nov 5, 2019 at 4:28 AM Post #43,165 of 48,561
@Mad Lust Envy can you get Astro to send you the newest iterations of a40 and a50? Who knows, maybe they've gotten better over the years and we could actually have a nice clean wireless setup for vss on console instead of the pile of hacks/workarounds we have now.

I recently installed and tried the latest A50 setup. It might sound slightly better than 10+ years ago but I would not want to use it. My nephew is happy though.

If you must have a wireless setup I might even recommend it. If wireless is not needed... G6 + something like HD598 + modmic is way better

Nov 5, 2019 at 4:54 AM Post #43,166 of 48,561
I recently installed and tried the latest A50 setup. It might sound slightly better than 10+ years ago but I would not want to use it. My nephew is happy though.

If you must have a wireless setup I might even recommend it. If wireless is not needed... G6 + something like HD598 + modmic is way better
I already have the X7 I'm not concerned about the wired setup but I'm not going to run a 5m long xlr from the amp to my couch if there is a wireless solution available.

Nov 5, 2019 at 8:23 AM Post #43,167 of 48,561
I don't think the rep I was in contact with works there anymore. I haven't heard froim them in years. Maybe my A50 review didn't sit well with them. Or how I basically had to not review the A30 because... it was... not great. Things may have changed since then, and I'm certain Astro have improved their gear from all those years ago.

Nov 5, 2019 at 8:29 AM Post #43,168 of 48,561
I don't think the rep I was in contact with works there anymore. I haven't heard froim them in years. Maybe my A50 review didn't sit well with them. Or how I basically had to not review the A30 because... it was... not great. Things may have changed since then, and I'm certain Astro have improved their gear from all those years ago.
Maybe it'd be worth reaching out to them. Aside from them only turtle beach manufactures wireless console compatible vss solutions so it's not like we're drowning in options here.

Nov 5, 2019 at 8:31 AM Post #43,169 of 48,561
I’d look out for some fire-sale prices on the X2s during Black Friday period. The X3 is incoming (Q1 2020) and retailers will be looking to clear X2 inventory.
You could wait for the X3s but word is they’ll launch in the 3-400 price range, if not more, so you’d likely be paying at least 3 times more for the X3s at least until they’ve been on the market long enough to see significant discounts.
That's a brilliant advice, I had no idea X3's are around the corner. I'll look out for some X2 sales, thank you very much.

Nov 5, 2019 at 1:28 PM Post #43,170 of 48,561
Just received both the Fulla and Hel from Schiit. Looks like I'll be a busy bee for bit, not including dealing with the LCD-1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back