Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
May 10, 2019 at 3:53 PM Post #42,436 of 48,561
Audeze reveals a new headset, it's purely analog

https://www.audeze.com/products/lcd-collection/lcd-gx

ADZ_LCD-GX-Banner_1.png

Last edited:
May 11, 2019 at 3:43 AM Post #42,438 of 48,561
May 11, 2019 at 10:00 AM Post #42,440 of 48,561
Audeze reveals a new headset, it's purely analog

https://www.audeze.com/products/lcd-collection/lcd-gx

ADZ_LCD-GX-Banner_1.png

I have thoughts on this. First of all, this headset is going to be a ground loop nightmare for people. If you plug the headphones into your dac/amp, and the microphone into your motherboard, you are going to need a dac with galvanic isolation or you have to use optical.

"the LCD-GX is strictly analog – no digital processing – just for the real purist who wants the best possible sound"

I hate when people bring up purity. Games take place in a 3d environment and internally have object based audio. Playing them the "pure" way means converting that to stereo and losing a bunch of spatial information in the process. Digital processing, in the form of an hrtf setting, or virtual surround sound for headphones, allows you to replace that conversion with something better.

Last edited:
May 11, 2019 at 12:52 PM Post #42,441 of 48,561
If you make headphones it is silly to not take advantage of the "g4m3r" market, but jesus christ $900? I wonder if they will eventually just sell us an Audeze mic cable, although they'd probably still charge like $199 for it or something silly.

May 11, 2019 at 12:58 PM Post #42,442 of 48,561
If you make headphones it is silly to not take advantage of the "g4m3r" market, but jesus christ $900? I wonder if they will eventually just sell us an Audeze mic cable, although they'd probably still charge like $199 for it or something silly.

If these are some LCD2 with added mic, I certainly can see the value proposition.

May 11, 2019 at 1:24 PM Post #42,443 of 48,561
Quick question (possibly dumb) I use the Soundblaster x7 and have RCA cables running to a Schiit Jotunheim to give a little more juice to my HD800-S. As far as I'm aware the RCA cannot carry more than two channels.

So am I only able to use this configuration in stereo mode if I want all the information? And do I need to plug my headphones directly into the X7 to get multichannel support? Or does the x7 downfold all of that information into a stereo mix anyways and I'm not losing any info

May 11, 2019 at 3:30 PM Post #42,444 of 48,561
Quick question (possibly dumb) I use the Soundblaster x7 and have RCA cables running to a Schiit Jotunheim to give a little more juice to my HD800-S. As far as I'm aware the RCA cannot carry more than two channels.

So am I only able to use this configuration in stereo mode if I want all the information? And do I need to plug my headphones directly into the X7 to get multichannel support? Or does the x7 downfold all of that information into a stereo mix anyways and I'm not losing any info

If the X7 is anything like the G6, which it most likely is, the audio that goes to the amp comes already preprocessed, meaning that the stereo downmix have all 7 channels information within the channela output.

May 12, 2019 at 12:38 AM Post #42,445 of 48,561

The X7 outputs processed stereo so you can output your virtual surround to any amp via RCA.

May 12, 2019 at 12:42 AM Post #42,446 of 48,561
If these are some LCD2 with added mic, I certainly can see the value proposition.

Yeah but which ones? I doubt it is the LCD-2 which is $995. If I had to guess it is the classic, which is $799 (and sometimes goes on sale for $599). I guess for the convenience of a single cable rather than a modmic solution it might be worth it, assuming you were willing to pay full boat for the classics anyway.

May 12, 2019 at 2:50 AM Post #42,447 of 48,561
Now that we have you in here, will Dekoni make Mobius earpads?

Not sure, they have what I would call a “cartridge” rather than a mount to connect earcup to earpad. A chunk of orange or blue plastic comes off with the pad, sooo Dekoni would have to either come up with matching paint jobs or one color that compliments both Mobeus variants.

It’s possible, just difficult.

You’re not dumb!
To put it simply, DSPs like the Sound Blaster X7 use Surround information to make a stereo output with the headphone-specific surround effect (which is called Binaural processing).
You have to go into the X7 app and check the settings for “Surround output,” but if you do that, then the headphone jacks, RCA out jacks, and optical out jacks will all have the Binaural processing effect “baked in.” Did you say earlier that you performed the Sparkos opamp upgrade on the X7? Well, opamp upgrades benefit the RCA outputs too, though I don’t think the Jotunheim is the best match for an HD 800 S anyway...

May 12, 2019 at 3:05 AM Post #42,448 of 48,561
Not sure, they have what I would call a “cartridge” rather than a mount to connect earcup to earpad. A chunk of orange or blue plastic comes off with the pad, sooo Dekoni would have to either come up with matching paint jobs or one color that compliments both Mobeus variants.

It’s possible, just difficult.

You’re not dumb!
To put it simply, DSPs like the Sound Blaster X7 use Surround information to make a stereo output with the headphone-specific surround effect (which is called Binaural processing).
You have to go into the X7 app and check the settings for “Surround output,” but if you do that, then the headphone jacks, RCA out jacks, and optical out jacks will all have the Binaural processing effect “baked in.” Did you say earlier that you performed the Sparkos opamp upgrade on the X7? Well, opamp upgrades benefit the RCA outputs too, though I don’t think the Jotunheim is the best match for an HD 800 S anyway...

What option do I check for that in the app?

What Amp would you recommend?

May 12, 2019 at 4:37 AM Post #42,449 of 48,561
Yeah but which ones? I doubt it is the LCD-2 which is $995. If I had to guess it is the classic, which is $799 (and sometimes goes on sale for $599). I guess for the convenience of a single cable rather than a modmic solution it might be worth it, assuming you were willing to pay full boat for the classics anyway.
IF Audeze were to sell the cable separately we could use it to add mic capabilities to other headphones that use dual minixlr connector (Higher Beyerdynamic models, Kennertons, Empyrean) or even use mini xlr adapters to connect it to literally everything. We've had microphones that were used as replacement headphone cables before but we've never had one that was dual entry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back