Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jan 19, 2011 at 2:47 PM Post #91 of 48,561
Just bought myself a pair of AD700's for £70, brand new off a website. They were listed as B-Stock and apparently it's because they don't come in their original packaging which if they work fine (they should, can return them anyway) is no issue to me whatsoever.

They cost £110 roughly proper brand new, so if it's just the case of a box then I have no issues! :D

Can't wait for them to get here.

Jan 19, 2011 at 3:35 PM Post #92 of 48,561

a gpu can cost less then a console. it comes down to what you want. do you want to play at resolutions 4x of 1080p(1920x1080) with lots of AA and AF everything maxed? or do you just want to do casual gaming at 1080p with decent amount of aa and af and close to everything max settings. there is ton of options. also have to take in mind that even low-budet gpus such as the gtx 260/ ati 5770,ect. is more then 10x the horse-power the ps3 or 360 can offer and are more for then just gaming. you can use it for photo-shopping or 3d rendering like 3ds max,video/audio decoding and encoding,physic caculations and so forth. gpus used in computer rigs are more then just for gaming. 
Quote:
Quote:
you can do all that on pc too...also the whole pc thing always falling back in time is a load of crap. yes technology is always advancing but do you always need the latest and greatest? no. it can also be as cheap or cheaper then console gaming if you build your rig and know what parts your looking for and can last well over few years. building is not hard at all. everything is color coordinated so special people can do it too.

you can play from a coach with controller of choice and most games if not all nowadays being devloped has full support for the 360 controller. i use my 360 controller on my pc or m/k it depends. people think console gaming is always cheaper but the people that say that never include there big ol' hdtv price in the equation. so yea.... 

i been gaming since the NES days and day of when the first doom hit windows 95 on the  computer so i had experience and love for both console and pc gaming. just do reaserch and ask around. that's all it takes. don't go by what ''he say she say'' thing or mainstream media especially shows like G4. they don't know crap and get paid what to say.

For the price of a GPU you can buy a console. That, and as I stated before, I can't record gameplay if my PC is being used to game itself. And as I also stated, I do use a controller on some PC games.

Jan 19, 2011 at 4:58 PM Post #93 of 48,561
Peace and love :p

I play now only on consoles (ps3), but If I find a game that is amazing on pc, and not available on a console I may start playing there.

I think is just a matter of everyone's preferences.

I have friends that play on PC and everybody agrees that steam is amazing.

The peace of mind of buying a console every 5+years (now 10 yrs cycle) vs gaming pc is a endless debate IMHO

Jan 19, 2011 at 5:14 PM Post #94 of 48,561

Quote:
For the price of a GPU you can buy a console. That, and as I stated before, I can't record gameplay if my PC is being used to game itself. And as I also stated, I do use a controller on some PC games.

You can buy a video card for about $60-70 bucks that will outpeform anything consoles can do.  You can also easily spend $500 on GPU.  It's all comes down to your gameplay preferences.  You can even hook your PC up to your video capturing device you're using so nothing needs to happen on your CPU.  

The new intel CPU's actually have an onboard GPU on them that can give you the same level of detail and resolution as an xbox 360 for under $200.  That's for both your CPU and GPU.  Sure the visuals won't be that great at less than 720p with NO AA or any other eye candy, but that's what most console games give you anyways.  I remember how pissed I was when I found out that my HD console (ps3) played most games at 640p.  I thought my head was going to explode.  It looks like absolute garbage to my eyes on my 1080p screen.

Also, games are so much cheaper on PC thanks to steam.  I have recently bought just about every star wars game that has been made on PC for under $20.  Assassins creed 2 I got for like 5 bucks.  You have to wait a while for console titles to even get down to $40.  That extra money to buy a game for your console adds up too.  Even brand new a PC game usually costs $10 less than it does on consoles.  blah guess I can stop derailing this great thread and go back and drop bombs on black ops.  

Jan 19, 2011 at 6:18 PM Post #95 of 48,561
That's great and all guys, but I already know this and I keep stressing that visuals are not the most important thing for me. regardless of price of hardware and games, it still doesn't change the fact that I still need my PC to be free in order to record, and that I already use my PC occasionally the way you guys are suggesting. At the end of the day consoles are still cheaper, and you underestimate how many people do not spend money or even own an PC capable of gaming at all. I am the only one out of my friends that has a PC that can run games on playable settings that have been released in the past 3-4 years, but they own consoles. Do you really think I am supposed to convince each and every one of them to upgrade their PC's instead? Or that I even care? No.

I'm glad PC gaming fits your needs. Consoles, fit mine for what I like and use it for. Why can't we respectfully disagree, instead of you trying to make me convert to what you think is best?

Jan 19, 2011 at 6:57 PM Post #96 of 48,561
it's cool. i still do still prefer my old super metroid on the snes or Zelda:link to the past to lot of today releases. it is matter of preference and naw you don't have to go to everyone you know and be like ''you have to upgrade''. just if they ever ask just be honest and let them know to the best of your knowledge suggest something what you personally feel that'll be the best option within their budget.

Jan 19, 2011 at 11:29 PM Post #98 of 48,561

Quote:
That's great and all guys, but I already know this and I keep stressing that visuals are not the most important thing for me. regardless of price of hardware and games, it still doesn't change the fact that I still need my PC to be free in order to record, and that I already use my PC occasionally the way you guys are suggesting. At the end of the day consoles are still cheaper, and you underestimate how many people do not spend money or even own an PC capable of gaming at all. I am the only one out of my friends that has a PC that can run games on playable settings that have been released in the past 3-4 years, but they own consoles. Do you really think I am supposed to convince each and every one of them to upgrade their PC's instead? Or that I even care? No.

I'm glad PC gaming fits your needs. Consoles, fit mine for what I like and use it for. Why can't we respectfully disagree, instead of you trying to make me convert to what you think is best?

Already said I was done.  I'm not trying to convert anyone I just don't think people understand the the actual cost of PC gaming versus the perceived cost, and are missing out on a great platform to play games on because they think it is too expensive.  

I'm not trying to be argumentative, but informative.  I personally find it weird that everyone in this thread is here because they want the absolute best audio quality they can possible get for games, and at the same time do not care about the visual fidelity of said games.  

Jan 19, 2011 at 11:32 PM Post #99 of 48,561
Quote:
Already said I was done.  I'm not trying to convert anyone I just don't think people understand the the actual cost of PC gaming versus the perceived cost, and are missing out on a great platform to play games on because they think it is too expensive.  

But that's just it. I do play games on the PC. I just prefer console most of the time, for the said reasons.

Jan 19, 2011 at 11:50 PM Post #100 of 48,561

Quote:
I personally find it weird that everyone in this thread is here because they want the absolute best audio quality they can possible get for games, and at the same time do not care about the visual fidelity of said games.  

Not a fair statement. What if the games in question are Halo or Killzone? And what if we want to play single-player, non-FPS games with great audio, like Uncharted (as I believe you play too)? 

Jan 20, 2011 at 12:21 AM Post #101 of 48,561
Quote:
Quote:
I personally find it weird that everyone in this thread is here because they want the absolute best audio quality they can possible get for games, and at the same time do not care about the visual fidelity of said games.  

Not a fair statement. What if the games in question are Halo or Killzone? And what if we want to play single-player, non-FPS games with great audio, like Uncharted (as I believe you play too)? 

Ding! We have a winner! Shoot... I'm gonna go play LittleBigPlanet 2 with Dolby Headphone just to say I did.

Quote:
I'm not trying to be argumentative, but informative.  I personally find it weird that everyone in this thread is here because they want the absolute best audio quality they can possible get for games, and at the same time do not care about the visual fidelity of said games.  

Your information is appreciated. I find it strange though that the person concerned about the best possible audio and video quality is the same person who is "perfectly fine" gaming competitively in stereo? Or am I mistaken?

Jan 20, 2011 at 1:21 AM Post #104 of 48,561

Your information is appreciated. I find it strange though that the person concerned about the best possible audio and video quality is the same person who is "perfectly fine" gaming competitively in stereo? Or am I mistaken?

Do you use your PRO 900's with Dolby Headphone?  I tried DH with mine, but the results were inconsistent and not as precise as straight stereo.  I've only tried it with a couple of PC fps (Bad Company 2 and Team Fortress 2), but I wasn't impressed with the precision of the sound stage/placement.  I chalked it up to the offset drivers, but others have reported positive results with the pairing.  I'm just curious what your experience (and that of others) has been with the pairing.

Jan 20, 2011 at 1:29 AM Post #105 of 48,561

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riku540 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Does dolby headphone sound better than stereo?  Absolutely not.  Does it provide better positional audio.  Probably.  

Any time you subject your audio to some sort of equalizer or digital processing it degrades from the original source.  I use my soundcard in audio creation mode even when I'm gaming, and I refuse to use CMSS3d because it sounds horrible.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back