Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Dec 2, 2019 at 2:18 AM Post #43,366 of 48,562
Well, I have a wifey-lemma (wife-dilemma) as of last night.

I currently have a pair of Audeze Mobius that I've been using for gaming. She apparently was talking to me while I was playing some MW yesterday, and I didn't reply at all. Short story is she told me to find some headphones to game with so that I can hear her while I use them. I sold off all my headphone gear about 1-1.5 years ago and used a Corsair Void Pro and sometimes my Mobius. I ditched the Void Pro because it, frankly, sucked for everything (except a cheap wireless set). I will use these almost exclusively on PC.

I'm debating between the following cans:

Philips Fidelio X2HR
Shure 1840
Audioquest Nighthawk Carbon
AKG 712 Pro

I have had a K702 65th anniversary (that I purchased off of MLE way back in the day), and a Fidelio x2, and I had a Shure 1540. All 3 were comfy, but the original Nighthawk was possibly comfier. The Shure that I had for a while was nice and sounded great, but my ears touched the inside of the cups.

Any opinions? I'd like to purchase today or tomorrow. But I'd also need an AMP/DAC as I don't have those anymore either. I need suggestions, quickly.
As a former SRH1840 owner, get Fidelio X2. It accepts VModa BoomPro mic and is more comfortable to use over long periods of time.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2019 at 3:47 PM Post #43,367 of 48,562
Anyone here have experience with the HD700s? I'm about to pull the trigger on some. I currently have the Beyerdynamic MMX300 which are very similar to my old DT770 pro 80s. I love the fact that they're fun and also pretty damn accurate for competitive gaming. Would the HD700s disappoint me because of their neutrality?

Also, I use the creative omni 5.1 external soundcard which claims to have a 600ohm headphone amp. Should I purchase a different DAC with vss? (I'm a huge VSS fan and always have been). I could get a separate amp as well if you guys think I need it.

Dec 2, 2019 at 3:53 PM Post #43,368 of 48,562
Anyone here have experience with the HD700s? I'm about to pull the trigger on some. I currently have the Beyerdynamic MMX300 which are very similar to my old DT770 pro 80s. I love the fact that they're fun and also pretty damn accurate for competitive gaming. Would the HD700s disappoint me because of their neutrality?

Also, I use the creative omni 5.1 external soundcard which claims to have a 600ohm headphone amp. Should I purchase a different DAC with vss? (I'm a huge VSS fan and always have been). I could get a separate amp as well if you guys think I need it.
HD700 aren't neutral, they're as bright as the sun.

Dec 2, 2019 at 3:55 PM Post #43,369 of 48,562
HD700 aren't neutral, they're as bright as the sun.

Interesting. Are they "fun" like the beyerdynamics? Cinematic games like Battlefield are a blast to play with them, and they're still good enough to give me an advantage when I need to hear footsteps etc. I'm also pretty sensitive to treble, should I steer clear?

Dec 2, 2019 at 3:59 PM Post #43,370 of 48,562
Interesting. Are they "fun" like the beyerdynamics? Cinematic games like Battlefield are a blast to play with them, and they're still good enough to give me an advantage when I need to hear footsteps etc. I'm also pretty sensitive to treble, should I steer clear?
No, they're bright headphones. You may want to try ModHouseAudio's HD700 modkit if you're too sensitive to treble and still want to own HD700.

Dec 2, 2019 at 4:01 PM Post #43,371 of 48,562
No, they're bright headphones. You may want to try ModHouseAudio's HD700 modkit if you're too sensitive to treble and still want to own HD700.

From what you're saying then it sounds like the HD700s aren't for me. Any other fun but accurate headphones you can think of that are an upgrade to the dt770 pro 80s?

Dec 2, 2019 at 4:02 PM Post #43,372 of 48,562
For competitive gaming I’d go for dt880 instead unless you find a pair of hd700 for under $200

Dec 2, 2019 at 4:07 PM Post #43,374 of 48,562
For competitive gaming I’d go for dt880 instead unless you find a pair of hd700 for under $200

I was gonna buy the HD700s for $300 which seemed good to me. As for the DT880, they seem like more of a sidegrade than an upgrade. I suppose this will be the case for most headphones I want to purchase to replace my MMX 300s. I've seen people recommend the X2HR, which seem like they're fun but also good for gaming?

Dec 2, 2019 at 4:08 PM Post #43,375 of 48,562
From what you're saying then it sounds like the HD700s aren't for me. Any other fun but accurate headphones you can think of that are an upgrade to the dt770 pro 80s?
higher end beyers

Dec 2, 2019 at 4:12 PM Post #43,376 of 48,562
I was gonna buy the HD700s for $300 which seemed good to me. As for the DT880, they seem like more of a sidegrade than an upgrade. I suppose this will be the case for most headphones I want to purchase to replace my MMX 300s. I've seen people recommend the X2HR, which seem like they're fun but also good for gaming?
X2 would be just like the Mmx 300. The m570 are a good upgrade and are also $300. It’s got a slight vshaped sound signature with good bass extension and very detailed treble. Some of the best I’ve used for gaming.

Dec 2, 2019 at 4:14 PM Post #43,377 of 48,562

When I was demo’ing headphones a few years ago I had the chance to try the HD700. They were way, way too bright for my tastes. I sold all my gear a year ago (give or take). I didn’t love the dt770 either. The x2HR are on sale for 100 from Amazon right now. I liked the original x2 well enough so grabbed the x2HR (and another can).

Dec 2, 2019 at 4:15 PM Post #43,378 of 48,562
X2 would be just like the Mmx 300. The m570 are a good upgrade and are also $300. It’s got a slight vshaped sound signature with good bass extension and very detailed treble. Some of the best I’ve used for gaming.

Wow, monoprice headphones I had no idea these were a thing. And planar magnetics too? How hard are they to drive?
Also, do you have any experience with Massdrop's offerings? They have some really good deals going on right now, so if you recommend any of them I'd probably pull the trigger.

Dec 2, 2019 at 4:28 PM Post #43,379 of 48,562
Wow, monoprice headphones I had no idea these were a thing. And planar magnetics too? How hard are they to drive?
Also, do you have any experience with Massdrop's offerings? They have some really good deals going on right now, so if you recommend any of them I'd probably pull the trigger.
They’re pretty efficient. They run off my phone pretty well

Dec 2, 2019 at 5:15 PM Post #43,380 of 48,562
The 4XX is also a good choice but has rolled off bass which is disappointing considering that it’s also a planar headphone. But for $130 it’s a steal. A pad swap would help with the bass though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back