Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jun 5, 2011 at 12:18 PM Post #1,396 of 48,562

Quote:
Calpis: Thanks! I was thinking of patching the controller/chat audio into the mixer that way...am I right to say you're using the female RCA to female 3.5 to input mic audio into the mix? But how do you know which RCA cable to patch it into? 

iirc, mic audio is the left channel/first pole. If not, just swap the adapter to the other rca plug. Also I forgot that you'd have to split the headset audio in order to get it to com into your headphones in both ears, the way I have it drawn will only have the chat audio coming in on one side.

Jun 5, 2011 at 1:37 PM Post #1,397 of 48,562

Quote:
I love my KSC75 so much, so I want the best I can get in that form factor. I tend to reach for my KSC75 over my other cans when watching movies, and whatnot because of how ridiculously comfortable they are. My KSC75 is starting to distort the bass every once in awhile, so I think its time to put them to rest. They served me incredibly well.

I'm looking for a beast clip on as my main comfort can.

I was gonna go with the Yuin G1A, then I read that it has a smooth treble. That immediately disqualified it. I hear it sounds like the ESW9 in that department which I owned and absolutely despised.

I'm gonna have to read up on clip ons... probably gonna order another pair of 75s.

I've heard 3 different pairs of KSC75s over time and they've all followed a trend where they eventually begin to distort and make a "buzz" sound with certain bassy notes.  I think all pairs of KSC75's will do this eventually with enough use.  Something about their design.  The bass becomes loose and rattles.  Its not a huge deal for me.

I think another pair of KSC75 will eventually have the same problem I think. 

That "82 portable headphone" review thread has some clip-ons, if you decide on  a different pair be sure to post about it, as I like the clip-ons as well
ksc75smile.gif

Jun 5, 2011 at 2:55 PM Post #1,398 of 48,562
Mitos, the way to connect non gaming amps to game systems is by using their composite or component cables, and attaching only the red/white audio cables to your amps, either straight to the RCA audio in or getting an RCA to 3.5mm cable and connecting it to the 3.5mm line in (as is my case on the E9). I'm not entirely sure but if you have a DAC/AMP combo with an optical audio in, this will work as well.

The only reason why I don't suggest it often is because a gaming amp with Dolby Headphone is still impressive than any other amp that is plain stereo. But that's just me.

For the hard to drive headphones, I just hook up a cable between the gaming amps headphone out to a music amps line in. Works better than you might think.

Shamrock, the lack of bass really helps you focus on all the detail when using the AD700. The HD598 is just better balanced for all purposes, and doesn't lag behind much in just plain sound whoring. The AD700 also has a more boosted treble which gives people the impression that its clearer. All these things make the AD700 such a good competitive gaming can, and why its so popular. I'd still take the HD598 over it for its refinement, comfort, and better balance.

Jun 5, 2011 at 7:54 PM Post #1,399 of 48,562
Thanks mate. Yeah, I was planning on using my HD650, but obviously it's hard to drive than my HD201, which really aren't too great for gaming.

Quote:
Mitos, the way to connect non gaming amps to game systems is by using their composite or component cables, and attaching only the red/white audio cables to your amps, either straight to the RCA audio in or getting an RCA to 3.5mm cable and connecting it to the 3.5mm line in (as is my case on the E9). I'm not entirely sure but if you have a DAC/AMP combo with an optical audio in, this will work as well.

The only reason why I don't suggest it often is because a gaming amp with Dolby Headphone is still impressive than any other amp that is plain stereo. But that's just me.

For the hard to drive headphones, I just hook up a cable between the gaming amps headphone out to a music amps line in. Works better than you might think.

Jun 5, 2011 at 8:12 PM Post #1,400 of 48,562

Quote:
Thanks mate. Yeah, I was planning on using my HD650, but obviously it's hard to drive than my HD201, which really aren't too great for gaming.

I was planning for months to get the HD650 for gaming. Once I eventually got a pair (for music), I did give them a shot with the mixamp, and they are about the worst headphone in existence in combination with DH.

Jun 5, 2011 at 9:27 PM Post #1,401 of 48,562

Quote:
iirc, mic audio is the left channel/first pole. If not, just swap the adapter to the other rca plug. Also I forgot that you'd have to split the headset audio in order to get it to com into your headphones in both ears, the way I have it drawn will only have the chat audio coming in on one side.

What the-...but then--....
Yeah ok, that MixAmp is looking real good right now.

Jun 6, 2011 at 2:49 AM Post #1,402 of 48,562
Hi guys, anyone tried the Sorround Headphone Headzone Home HT lately? I was browsing throught the JH3A Information thread and saw a suggestion coming from @Warp08.

It's a home setup that I want to try also for gaming. I just thought I want to share this info to you and make some impressions.

Jun 6, 2011 at 4:25 AM Post #1,403 of 48,562

Quote:
Hi guys, anyone tried the Sorround Headphone Headzone Home HT lately? I was browsing throught the JH3A Information thread and saw a suggestion coming from @Warp08.

It's a home setup that I want to try also for gaming. I just thought I want to share this info to you and make some impressions.

I saw this before, looks ridiculous and pointless.

Jun 6, 2011 at 8:29 AM Post #1,404 of 48,562

Thanks for the heads up. I dont really want to buy anymore equipment for the time being tbh. I don't think LCD2 is viable idea, cause of the weight. I guess I'll have to stick to my HD201s.
Quote:
I was planning for months to get the HD650 for gaming. Once I eventually got a pair (for music), I did give them a shot with the mixamp, and they are about the worst headphone in existence in combination with DH.

Jun 6, 2011 at 10:55 AM Post #1,405 of 48,562

To offer another perspective.. its the mixamp that is not up to the job amping the HD650 not its combination with Dolby Headphone.

I used a Xonar DX and or STX with Dolby headphone with a Matrix M-stage with good results ( BFBC2, L4D2 etc). Adding an amp after the mixamp would see similar benefit as would be for any power hungry headphone.

IMO the HD650 is a nice semi casual gaming headphone, the soundstage and imaging are fine and the open back helps with positioning when using DH.

Saying that I would not recommend it if your are primarily a competitive FPS gamer but as an all rounder leaning to the music listener I still rate it.

Quote:

Jun 6, 2011 at 11:59 AM Post #1,406 of 48,562
The Beyer headzone is just stupidly expensive for what it does.  I can see using it if you're loaded and want an easy all in one solution, but most people would be better served by cobbling together some manner of software or hardware solution.

The HD650 does quite well with the surround virtualization/HRTF built into ffdshow for movies.  The best point of comparison with MLE's list is probably the DT990/600s which I used to own.  The stage with those was noticeably bigger but I don't remember how the imaging compared.

Something that might be worth a try is the Fostex T50RP.  My modded pair has a larger soundstage than my HD650s with almost pinpoint imaging, even with plain stereo.  Ffdshow's HRTF (with movies) and Isone (with music) improve this immensely.  They really put the stage in front of you.  The bass is easy to tune as well.  A piece of tape can easily change it from a single player, bass-light, detail whoring can to an immersive single player can full of deep and powerful bass.

That's just based on its movie performance though.  I don't know how much of that is transferable.

Jun 6, 2011 at 3:35 PM Post #1,407 of 48,562
The Beyer headzone has been posted a couple of times. In any case the one posted ISN'T the one made for gaming. That's the one with head tracking which is USELESS, as it changes the sound relative to where your head is current fixated on. Unless you are planning on gaming while looking away from the screen, this contraption mainly works just for music concerts and other things where you don't have to look at the screen. Who's gonna do that WHILE gaming? Lol.

The Headzone GAME (not pictured above), is the one that sounds like a glorified Dolby Headphone DSP, where it will give you a home theater setup in your headphones, and SHOULD in theory do better than said DH, CMSS, Silent Cinema, and other virtual surround DSPs. I'd love to try it, but that is one prohibitively expensive gaming amp.

Jun 6, 2011 at 7:03 PM Post #1,408 of 48,562

Quote:

Did you use them with the stock cord?  I have a Blue Dragon V3 cord or something like that and I'm told it makes a big difference.  Overall, I didn't find my 650s to be horrific, but my other headphones are AKG 701 and Beyer 990s so maybe I have crappy ears. 

Jun 6, 2011 at 7:58 PM Post #1,409 of 48,562

Quote:
To offer another perspective.. its the mixamp that is not up to the job amping the HD650 not its combination with Dolby Headphone.

I used a Xonar DX and or STX with Dolby headphone with a Matrix M-stage with good results ( BFBC2, L4D2 etc). Adding an amp after the mixamp would see similar benefit as would be for any power hungry headphone.

IMO the HD650 is a nice semi casual gaming headphone, the soundstage and imaging are fine and the open back helps with positioning when using DH.

Saying that I would not recommend it if your are primarily a competitive FPS gamer but as an all rounder leaning to the music listener I still rate it.

Not true my friend. The T1 and HD800 both sound phenomenal through the 5.8 mixamp alone.

Jun 6, 2011 at 7:59 PM Post #1,410 of 48,562

Quote:

Did you use them with the stock cord?  I have a Blue Dragon V3 cord or something like that and I'm told it makes a big difference.  Overall, I didn't find my 650s to be horrific, but my other headphones are AKG 701 and Beyer 990s so maybe I have crappy ears. 

That's kind of a neat situation actually, 650 fits almost perfectly between those two cans. No I didn't recable it, I returned them pretty fast, not my kind of sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back