Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jan 12, 2021 at 8:53 AM Post #46,096 of 48,561
I have a general question to all members here about sound volume and permanent ear damage. I'm in my late 40s and been using headphones regularily all my life. I'm pretty sure I'm not using them very loud. Still, I do suffer from a slight tinnitus, that is not too annoying but still is making me aware that I should lower my headphone volume. Now my question: I often hear complain that their headphone are not loud enough, for example BeyerDynamics 80ohms plugged in the PS5. For me putting them at the highest level through the controller sounds ear damaging. So I was wondering how loud are you putting them? I know that it's not really quantifiable, but I've heard that you shouldnt go above the sound of a blender (85dB) .... which frankly is pretty hard to judge comparing a blender to gunfire in Battlefield 5.

I guess I should buy a DB measuring tool or something.

Thoughts?

Jan 12, 2021 at 8:53 AM Post #46,097 of 48,561
Now that The main consoles have built in VSS, and PC has some truly great software VSS like Redscape Audio (which is my next review, and I recommend), I think I'd be more inclined to get an audiophile dac/amp instead.
My g6 has occasional pop/crackle issue with Creative driver so I want to use Microsoft driver instead. But with Microsoft driver I lose the 7.1 functionality. Other than that, the g6 is a great dac/amp so I 'd like to keep it instead of buying another audiophile one. I'm looking at other VSS alternatives. Will you do a comparison between SBX, Redscape and Waves NX? I tried Waves NX in the past and the soundstage was really wide but I felt there was too much echo, and it was only 5.1 channel? I listened to the demo on Redscape website just now and it sounded pretty good, but the $40 price tag is quite high for a software like this.

Jan 12, 2021 at 8:59 AM Post #46,098 of 48,561
My g6 has occasional pop/crackle issue with Creative driver so I want to use Microsoft driver instead. But with Microsoft driver I lose the 7.1 functionality. Other than that, the g6 is a great dac/amp so I 'd like to keep it instead of buying another audiophile one. I'm looking at other VSS alternatives. Will you do a comparison between SBX, Redscape and Waves NX? I tried Waves NX in the past and the soundstage was really wide but I felt there was too much echo, and it was only 5.1 channel? I listened to the demo on Redscape website just now and it sounded pretty good, but the $40 price tag is quite high for a software like this.

My G6 also pops and crackle with the PS5 when using VSS.

Jan 12, 2021 at 1:47 PM Post #46,099 of 48,561
To the few people that showed up for the stream, thanks guys. Was a fail but I'm glad I did it. Next time I'll try on Twitch.

Jan 12, 2021 at 2:38 PM Post #46,100 of 48,561
To the few people that showed up for the stream, thanks guys. Was a fail but I'm glad I did it. Next time I'll try on Twitch.
sorry i missed it, i was just about to ask. yeah twitch should be better, imo

560 would have harsher treble, which they don't want.

Considering the X2 is a $250+ headphone to begin with (only being discounted after being around so long), there is a no clear upgrade, IMHO. You'd have to spend at least $400-$500 to move up the ladder.

All you're gonna get at around $200 is things that sound DIFFERENT, not BETTER. Sidegrades, not upgrades.

Maybe look into planar headphones.

different is fine, and thank you for clarifying.

I am not even sure, as far as sound signature goes, where the X2HR's excel. Bass?

so a planar? again. now that we now that it isn't necessarily an upgrade, but a different sound signature. what might you recommend, given i do not look to buy a stronger amp/dac, and my budget. closed/open backs, either way is fine.

just a reminder about what sound i am looking for when comparing them to the X2HR's. at least as much, more is fine too, but i am willing to sacrifice a little bass for more pronounced mids. mids, maybe not hd598 mids, as imo, i believe you lose too much bass. treble, softer darker.

it's too bad i'm not going for the 6xx's, huh? that would require a stronger dac/amp. sigh

mostly fun gaming, with a little competitive here and there.

also. i was looking at possibly just getting something like a 9 band analog equalizer. playing around with a free eq'ing software, i learning that it doesn't take much to ruin the sound. so now i am reluctant to buy an equalizer. i know that when done correctly, an equalizer can be our friend. the other thing is how exactly i would have to connect it. some only have output. would i need any other hardware to make it work with my own hardware, kind of scenarios sigh

Jan 12, 2021 at 7:16 PM Post #46,101 of 48,561
I have a general question to all members here about sound volume and permanent ear damage. I'm in my late 40s and been using headphones regularily all my life. I'm pretty sure I'm not using them very loud. Still, I do suffer from a slight tinnitus, that is not too annoying but still is making me aware that I should lower my headphone volume. Now my question: I often hear complain that their headphone are not loud enough, for example BeyerDynamics 80ohms plugged in the PS5. For me putting them at the highest level through the controller sounds ear damaging. So I was wondering how loud are you putting them? I know that it's not really quantifiable, but I've heard that you shouldnt go above the sound of a blender (85dB) .... which frankly is pretty hard to judge comparing a blender to gunfire in Battlefield 5.

I guess I should buy a DB measuring tool or something.

Thoughts?
There's no real way for you to accurately measure the SPL of your headphones unless you have ~£15k to spare for the relevant equipment from B&K. Unfortunately sound meters are inaccurate for measuring sounds emitted from headphones due to the nature of how they're placed on the head forming a seal and emit sound directly at the ears.

What you could try, iirc iphones are able to give you an indication of your listening volume in db. Though you'll likely be restricted to the air pods or the apple beats, but you could use them and try to achieve a volume that sounds comparatively as loud as you would normally game at, at least that way you would have a vague idea of listening levels.

And I also am of the mind that people in the hifi community listen at staggeringly high levels. All too often I see things online about headphones I own - for example that they need external amplification to get to an appropriate listening volume, which is complete nonsense as I can get them to painful listening levels without.

You're generally not supposed to listen to 85db for more than 8 hours a day. And iirc every 3db above that cuts the safe listening time by half

Jan 12, 2021 at 7:23 PM Post #46,102 of 48,561
There's no real way for you to accurately measure the SPL of your headphones unless you have ~£15k to spare for the relevant equipment from B&K. Unfortunately sound meters are inaccurate for measuring sounds emitted from headphones due to the nature of how they're placed on the head forming a seal and emit sound directly at the ears.

What you could try, iirc iphones are able to give you an indication of your listening volume in db. Though you'll likely be restricted to the air pods or the apple beats, but you could use them and try to achieve a volume that sounds comparatively as loud as you would normally game at, at least that way you would have a vague idea of listening levels.

And I also am of the mind that people in the hifi community listen at staggeringly high levels. All too often I see things online about headphones I own - for example that they need external amplification to get to an appropriate listening volume, which is complete nonsense as I can get them to painful listening levels without.

You're generally not supposed to listen to 85db for more than 8 hours a day. And iirc every 3db above that cuts the safe listening time by half
Thanks I’m gonna check that IPhone suggestion. I did ordered a little sound meter just to at least get a sense of what 85db represents in the real world.

Edit: for what it’s worth, I plugged the stock iPhone EarPods and turned on that health’s hearing app, put on the theme from Spider-Man Morales at a relatively uncomfortable high level and it reached about 86dB. I’ll never listen at that level.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2021 at 4:32 AM Post #46,103 of 48,561
Hi guys,

1st time poster and a complete audio novice so please bear with me. I'm patiently awaiting my Pc38x delivery which I plan to use on PS5 to play FPS like Cold war etc..

I'm looking at buying a G6 to pair with them and I'm after some advice

Firstly, I will be powering it via USB and then plugging my pc38x straight in as I do not have the option for optical because my monitor has no such connection to pass through, does this mean that I have to disable the 5.1/7.1 surround sound on the G6 and solely use tempest and just have the G6 in direct mode? If so, will the only benefit be volume?

Also I find the whole settings side of the G6 slightly daunting, do you have any tips for how to set it up to optimise audio for FPS games? Would you just select the FPS preset and play in direct mode?

Any feedback and knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

Jan 13, 2021 at 8:07 AM Post #46,104 of 48,561
Hello guys.

I have a Mixamp Pro TR (2019), which is better, K712 or DT990?

Can Mixamp Pro TR (2019) can drive the DT990?

I want something that is sturdy and can be worn for a long time.

sorry my english is not good.
but im japanese.
arigato.

Jan 13, 2021 at 10:00 AM Post #46,105 of 48,561
Hi guys,

1st time poster and a complete audio novice so please bear with me. I'm patiently awaiting my Pc38x delivery which I plan to use on PS5 to play FPS like Cold war etc..

I'm looking at buying a G6 to pair with them and I'm after some advice

Firstly, I will be powering it via USB and then plugging my pc38x straight in as I do not have the option for optical because my monitor has no such connection to pass through, does this mean that I have to disable the 5.1/7.1 surround sound on the G6 and solely use tempest and just have the G6 in direct mode? If so, will the only benefit be volume?

Also I find the whole settings side of the G6 slightly daunting, do you have any tips for how to set it up to optimise audio for FPS games? Would you just select the FPS preset and play in direct mode?

Any feedback and knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

(Note that I'm not an expert as I have the G6 only since december. Other members, please correct me if you disagree.)

1) If you use only USB you will indeed not be able to use the G6 VSS and be stuck with tempest, which I find is good with some games (Demon Souls, Morales, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Cyberpunk, Ghost of Tsushima) but bad with others (Cold War, Battlefield serie).
2) Even if you disable the surround, you can still benefit from other SBX feature from the G6 like the equalizer, bass boost, etc. I use it to slightly alter the sound signature of my BeyerDynamic and reduces some of the trebble.
3) About the selection of settings in the G6, it's really just a preference matter as far as I'm concerned. Just pick the setting you think sounds the best and makes some adjustments (firstly turning off the Dolby Surround!)

Regarding Tempest (which is the only reason I own a G6), I think it sounds incredible with Demon Souls, but every other game sound as good or better with my old setup ("Dolby Headphone" through optical passthrough with a Harman Kardon receiver). I'm kinda debating if I'm keeping the G6 or not because it's a bit overkill for only one game.

I'm keeping it mostly because I feel confident that it will get better overtime. I want to see more first party studio games before my final judgement.

Jan 13, 2021 at 5:39 PM Post #46,106 of 48,561
Hello guys.
I have a Mix-amp Pro TR (2019), which is better, K712 or DT990?
Can Mix-amp Pro TR (2019) can drive the DT990?
I want something that is sturdy and can be worn for a long time. sorry my english is not good. but I'm Japanese. arigato.
I own the K7XX and DT990, I have not used them in years.
I would suggest the Soundmagic HP200, they are like an improved DT990.
The HP200 may not as be sturdy as the K712/DT990, the HP200 stock ear pads may wear out faster, but you can always get nice leather or sheep skin ear pads, for the HP200.
The cable feels cheap, but it functions just fine.

Jan 13, 2021 at 6:02 PM Post #46,107 of 48,561
Good Day... Even though I have been reading this Forum for months, I have just signed in and this is my first post. I have a doubt that maybe one of you can answer. I have both PS5 and XBOX X Series. Having a Receiver with a 7.1.4 speaker placement (using earc from an OLED C9 LG so as to use 2.1 HDMI in both consoles), and living alone, I dont use Headphones a lot, only for online games and during some nights. With the XBX Series I have an Astro A50 last Gen, which I was using with my old Xbox One X. But for the PS5 I have my old Sony PS Platinum Headset which was used in my PS4 Pro.

I want to buy a new Headset for my PS5 keeping the Astro A50 for the XBOX X Series. I have read the Review of Audeze Penrose and I am interested in buying one of them. I also read that Penrose X also work with PS5 and due to the fact I have both Consoles, it seems a logical move to buy this version. But here are my firsts doubts:

1.- As I understand Penrose X works with PS5 but Penrose "Blue" doesnt work with XBOX X Series.
2.- I know no one has a "crystal ball" but if I buy Penrose X, maybe someday a new Firmware will prevent to continue using it with a PS5?

To make a decision the questions above are very important to me due to the following reason: here in my Country Chile, there is stock of Penrose "Blue", but not of Penrose X. So, I can buy right away the PS5 version. Penrose X can be purchased from Audeze Website. Prices are very similar (around US400), but buying the version sold in my Country gives local warranty (Chilean Customer Warranty protected by inside laws) that I will not have with the interantional purchase of Penrose X.

Please can you give me advice to decide what to do: 1.- Buy Penrose Blue here in Chile or Buy Penrose X from Audeze?

Thanks for your time and you really do a fantastic work in this Forum...

Jan 13, 2021 at 9:02 PM Post #46,108 of 48,561
Good Day... Even though I have been reading this Forum for months, I have just signed in and this is my first post. I have a doubt that maybe one of you can answer. I have both PS5 and XBOX X Series. Having a Receiver with a 7.1.4 speaker placement (using earc from an OLED C9 LG so as to use 2.1 HDMI in both consoles), and living alone, I dont use Headphones a lot, only for online games and during some nights. With the XBX Series I have an Astro A50 last Gen, which I was using with my old Xbox One X. But for the PS5 I have my old Sony PS Platinum Headset which was used in my PS4 Pro.

I want to buy a new Headset for my PS5 keeping the Astro A50 for the XBOX X Series. I have read the Review of Audeze Penrose and I am interested in buying one of them. I also read that Penrose X also work with PS5 and due to the fact I have both Consoles, it seems a logical move to buy this version. But here are my firsts doubts:

1.- As I understand Penrose X works with PS5 but Penrose "Blue" doesnt work with XBOX X Series.
2.- I know no one has a "crystal ball" but if I buy Penrose X, maybe someday a new Firmware will prevent to continue using it with a PS5?

To make a decision the questions above are very important to me due to the following reason: here in my Country Chile, there is stock of Penrose "Blue", but not of Penrose X. So, I can buy right away the PS5 version. Penrose X can be purchased from Audeze Website. Prices are very similar (around US400), but buying the version sold in my Country gives local warranty (Chilean Customer Warranty protected by inside laws) that I will not have with the interantional purchase of Penrose X.

Please can you give me advice to decide what to do: 1.- Buy Penrose Blue here in Chile or Buy Penrose X from Audeze?

Thanks for your time and you really do a fantastic work in this Forum...

If you want it for the playstation mainly and want to be sure it will always work for it buy the blue. Warranty is a big deal too I think too many things stack for you and buying the blue makes sense. If you were in the US it would be easier to sell it if later on the xbox one didnt work for playstation but you already have xbox headphones so I'd not gamble if I was you and just buy the blue.

Jan 13, 2021 at 11:11 PM Post #46,109 of 48,561
Yeah I'd say just get the Blue Penrose. I doubt anything will happen with the X sypporting ps5, but you already have an A50 for the X, so focus on the PS5 support first.

It's also annoying having to move the usb stick between systems for the Penrose.

Hey guys, so I was thinking, in order for me to grow... what do you guys think of me making at the very least, a go pro style impression review of the things I write reviews for?

I NEED to have a Youtube video presence. I KNOW others like Zeos do that style of review, but I wanna do them in my own way, not be as ranty. I love his reviews, of course, but I wanna do reviews my way, just in a similar camera point of view.

It would be easier for me, because:

1. I don't know how to edit.

2. I'm really good at talking to myself n when it comes to headphone impressions, so much it scares me. I say so much that I leave out of reviews.

3. I'm very self conscious and camera shy, so a go pro view would particularly suit me well.

What do you guys think? I'd be more inclined to make videos of I could do them this way.

I would structure them kinda like my written reviews, like in sections, talking about build first, comfort next, sound, etc.

Your thoughts?

I'm just scared people think I'm just copying, but I've wanted to do that since before I even knew of Zeos. I have been doing this a decade, you know.

Not like I could do a review every day like him. I like to take at the very least a week, optimally two weeks to listen to gear before I review. To let my opinions settle and get a good grip on the product.

I'll be looking to purchase a new desk, a camera and headmount, and lighting.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2021 at 11:47 PM Post #46,110 of 48,561
Hey guys, so I was thinking, in order for me to grow... what do you guys think of me making at the very least, a go pro style impression review of the things I write reviews for?

I NEED to have a Youtube video presence. I KNOW others like Zeos do that style of review, but I wanna do them in my own way, not be as ranty. I love his reviews, of course, but I wanna do reviews my way, just in a similar camera point of view.

It would be easier for me, because:

1. I don't know how to edit.

2. I'm really good at talking to myself n when it comes to headphone impressions, so much it scares me. I say so much that I leave out of reviews.

3. I'm very self conscious and camera shy, so a go pro view would particularly suit me well.

What do you guys think? I'd be more inclined to make videos of I could do them this way.

I would structure them kinda like my written reviews, like in sections, talking about build first, comfort next, sound, etc.

Your thoughts?

I'm just scared people think I'm just copying, but I've wanted to do that since before I even knew of Zeos. I have been doing this a decade, you know.

Not like I could do a review every day like him. I like to take at the very least a week, optimally two weeks to listen to gear before I review. To let my opinions settle and get a good grip on the product.

I'll be looking to purchase a new desk, a camera and headmount, and lighting.

My humble opinion... That is really a way to grow, and surely an audiovisual point of view is what present days seems to demand. But you said you wanted a Go Pro Style due to the fact that you are shy. Well, even without video, can you be able to produce a good review talking about your voice? I mean, one thing is being shy in front of cameras, but another one is being able to mantain a fluid and clear voice in front of one. Obviously nothing can be said without trying... But dont forget that this Forum, as it is, shows plenty of knowledge and seriousnes not because of the way it is presented, but more important, for the people who make the posts.

By the way, thanks both Ted23 and Mad Lust Envy for your advice about Penrose Bue or X. You are right...I will go for the Blue. I always later can buy the X version, selling the A50, but even that, the Astro is also a good Headset.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back