Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Feb 21, 2020 at 1:13 AM Post #44,026 of 48,561
Sounds like I really need to get a GSX 1000!

Re SBX VSS THX:

TBH, I’m not entirely convinced that SBX is any different to THX other than in branding. I have both the original THX Soundblaster Recom 3D usb dac/amp and the later SBX-rebadge version of the very same unit and they sound the same for everything, VSS included.

I suppose it’s possible they may have refined SBX with newer devices but back when those two Recon 3D units were my go-to audio devices (had one for bedroom, one for living room), in surround testing with a variety of content, I couldn’t tell the difference from A/B comparison and neither could my friends.
My experience with THX TS was through a Recon 3D USB which sounded a little rough with some audible distortion and wonky positional cues. So I dunno. You might be right, but from my experience, it was different enough for me to feel placing them in two separate categories. Even HeSuVi's presets sound different for both. Though I don't account for HeSuVi because its unofficial, and definitely didn't sound exactly like the real deal.

Feb 21, 2020 at 4:17 AM Post #44,027 of 48,561
One of the reasons are actually the mic, i'm looking to get a desktop mic and i don't really like to have a mic attached

I was also thinking about the HD6XX since a lot of people are talking about it right now.
How would you say the HD6XX compares to the AD900X and DT 990?

From what i've read is the Sennheiser is more well rounded but how about the soundstage? I'm also upgrading from the Game Zero, do they have a similiar sound characteristic?

Thanks!

As i stated earlier, i have DT 990 and beign using them for gaming and music for 10 years and i ordered HD6xx few days ago so i can give You my impressions when they arrive and differences between them in games.

Feb 21, 2020 at 5:51 AM Post #44,028 of 48,561
The 6XX arrived, and holy smokes, I forgot just how damn good the 650 was/is. It might be slightly driver variance or bad memory, but these sound even clearer than the 650 I reviewed back in the day. And even now, I'd say people would be CRAZY to NOT go for the 6XX in the $200 range.

I think the 6XX/650 is one of those headphones anyone even remotely invested in audiophilia needs to get at least once before moving on to more expensive stuff. You may find that it's all you can ask for and more. I think these would be my #1 recommendation in the price bracket. More than the 880/990/K702/etc.

Back in the day it was in a tier above in price. NOW? Come on. These are a steal.

I know I'm someone who can't live with just one headphone, but man, if I had to, it'd be these. Koss clip ons aside.

Are you recommending the 6xx for gaming or general use and music specifically? Soundstage + imaging is superb?

Feb 21, 2020 at 6:29 AM Post #44,029 of 48,561
My experience with THX TS was through a Recon 3D USB which sounded a little rough with some audible distortion and wonky positional cues. So I dunno. You might be right, but from my experience, it was different enough for me to feel placing them in two separate categories. Even HeSuVi's presets sound different for both. Though I don't account for HeSuVi because its unofficial, and definitely didn't sound exactly like the real deal.
Another thing that made me suspicious was that the THX unit worked with the SBX version of the control app, VSS adjustments included (had the THX version of the app installed on one machine and the SBX version installed on the other).

Feb 21, 2020 at 6:39 AM Post #44,030 of 48,561
Are you recommending the 6xx for gaming or general use and music specifically? Soundstage + imaging is superb?
My HD650 Review sorta already answered all that though my opinions aren't exactly the same. And yes, VSS offsets whatever limitations the headphones have. Wouldn't be my top choice for gaming, but it does so very well. Definitely enough that I wouldn't cry if it was my only headphones for that.

I will be re-reviewing then since the 650 review was before I found my "real," review style, but most of the things probably remain true. I do have some opinions that have changed. I think if I had to choose between the 6XX and the HE400 today, it'd be the 6XX. Since other things have also changed, and I think they're better for gaming than I initially thought on that review.

In short, some things may have changed. By re-review, I mean I'm replacing the old review, though I'll keep it as a footnote or something.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2020 at 10:10 AM Post #44,031 of 48,561
I am trying out dts headphone x 2.0 now, from the windows 10 app store. It has equalization filters for a bunch of headphones, including for my hd 650, so that is convenient. I will say though, it doesn't sound great on stereo sources, if you force it to process them. But I believe in using the same processing on everything, so one trick I have found is to use software dolby prologic II decoding in my media player - that creates 5.1 audio that helps trigger the processing (since it only works on surround sound), but also moves a lot of the stereo channels into the center channel, which seems to prevent comb filtering problems.

It comes with a balanced and spacious setting, and the spacious setting is actually pretty spacious. Both seem like a big step up from dolby atmos for headphone in terms of getting a good out of head experience.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2020 at 1:26 PM Post #44,032 of 48,561
I am trying out dts headphone x 2.0 now, from the windows 10 app store. It has equalization filters for a bunch of headphones, including for my hd 650, so that is convenient. I will say though, it doesn't sound great on stereo sources, if you force it to process them. But I believe in using the same processing on everything, so one trick I have found is to use software dolby prologic II decoding in my media player - that creates 5.1 audio that helps trigger the processing (since it only works on surround sound), but also moves a lot of the stereo channels into the center channel, which seems to prevent comb filtering problems.

It comes with a balanced and spacious setting, and the spacious setting is actually pretty spacious. Both seem like a big step up from dolby atmos for headphone in terms of getting a good out of head experience.
That's one thing that I really like with my Creative G6 setup. I can have it in 7.1 mode, but still listen to stereo music without it mutating the L/R into a surround field. Also the reason I use a low setting for Surround. I want it on to give me a correct surround fielld, but my 2.0 music doesn't get molested either.

Feb 22, 2020 at 1:53 PM Post #44,033 of 48,561
That's one thing that I really like with my Creative G6 setup. I can have it in 7.1 mode, but still listen to stereo music without it mutating the L/R into a surround field. Also the reason I use a low setting for Surround. I want it on to give me a correct surround fielld, but my 2.0 music doesn't get molested either.
The windows spatial sound stuff just won't touch stereo audio, so I think you would appreciate that. However, right now, I'm watching the youtube video of Will Ferrell eating Chicken Wings on Hot Ones with dolby prologic II which is forcing dts headphone x on, and I feel the act of seeing people in front of me talking + the dsp projecting the audio in front of me is a valuable experience in learning to interpret what the dsp is doing.

Feb 22, 2020 at 2:26 PM Post #44,034 of 48,561

I was thinking about trying that out last night. How is it for rear cues? Is it "object oriented" like Atmos, i.e. will be work on an Atmos mix like Sonic?

Feb 22, 2020 at 4:07 PM Post #44,035 of 48,561
I was thinking about trying that out last night. How is it for rear cues? Is it "object oriented" like Atmos, i.e. will be work on an Atmos mix like Sonic?
It seems fine for rear cues. My understanding is that if an application supports the spatial sound api, then it will support object based surround sound. I ran a 7.1 speaker test just now, and the center and rear channels sounded good to me, but the other channels sounded a little off when using the balanced setting. Hopefully that goes away over time.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2020 at 1:12 AM Post #44,036 of 48,561
Didn't like DTS Headphone X at all. At least not the W10 version. Rear cues non-existent to me. Instead of you being positioned in a circle, the circle is cut in half and you're positioned on the flat side. Nowhere for rear cues to go but to your sides.

20200223_011702.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2020 at 10:15 AM Post #44,037 of 48,561
Anyone here plays Blair Witch the video game? It’s among the few games that claim to have binaural audio. I'm playing the game on pc with headphone but I don't think I'm getting binaural audio. Sounds very stereo-ish to me (left-right-center) with small soundstage. Any idea why?

Please check out the gameplay video I recorded below. This is what I hear in game. Pay attention to the dog barking. Sounds very close to the ears even though the dog is far away.

Feb 23, 2020 at 10:24 AM Post #44,038 of 48,561
Didn't like DTS Headphone X at all. At least not the W10 version. Rear cues non-existent to me. Instead of you being positioned in a circle, the circle is cut in half and you're positioned on the flat side. Nowhere for rear cues to go but to your sides.

I haven't had issues with the front or rear of dts headphone x. Although that might be because Overwatch, the only game I tested, might support windows spatial sound or rear speakers. A 5.1 game might have that issue more if they get mapped to the side channels.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2020 at 7:49 AM Post #44,039 of 48,561
Audio out via USB and stereo out at the same time needed.

Windows 10

Please help me, this is a tricky one.

I have a set of GSP 670 USB Wireless Gaming Sennhesiers for gaming only

https://en-au.sennheiser.com/gaming-headset-wireless-gsp-670

I also have a set of AURA PRO bass shakers/buttkickers/ tactile transducers

Aura AST-2B-4 Pro Bass Shaker Tactile Transducer

https://www.parts-express.com/aura-ast-2b-4-pro-bass-shaker-tactile-transducer--299-028

on the heavily modified gaming/HOTAS chair

IKEA MARKUS

https://www.ikea.com/au/en/catalog/products/50261151/