Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jan 2, 2020 at 9:45 AM Post #43,591 of 48,561
Hey Everyone, I am not sure I quite understand between competitive and fun headphones. Do they really make a big difference in the means of can a competitive headphones still be used for games that are meant to be more fun. I currently own the dt990 which are more on the fun side, but since I am playing more console I wanted something easier to run. I was looking at the shp9500, x2hr and the audeze mobius.
I am not sure if I can justify the price of the mobius since there are no advantage while playing on console.
The shp9500 are like 150$ with the mic and the x2hr like 250$ with the mic. But I am stuck in will the shp9500 be a bad headphone because I play all different types of games for example at the moment I am playing boarderlands 3 and red dead redemption 2 and they say the shp9500 are only for competitive games. I will also jump back to PC to play any mmo or games not available on console. Any help will be appreciated or if you have any other suggestions on headphone that might fit in between the 2 would be appreciated Thanks in advance and happy new year

Jan 2, 2020 at 10:49 PM Post #43,594 of 48,561
Don't. Xbox one does not support usb audio for any device other than Astro Mixamp so the dac/adc section of Hel would be totally wasted here (unless you plan on using it as an amp only and plugging the usb into a pc for chat)
Thank you so much for your reply.

Am still learning and reading and researching this headphone gaming guide. Any Xbox One X console players in this thread? And if any, any suggestions for a great pair of headphones? Been wanting to ask but am a bit hesitant to ask, as am still learning but would like to know any headphones other than gaming ones that are great and work with my Xbox One X and my astro amp. I would like to experience great everything in a pair of headphones.

Cheers

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2020 at 7:18 AM Post #43,595 of 48,561
Hey Everyone, I am not sure I quite understand between competitive and fun headphones. Do they really make a big difference in the means of can a competitive headphones still be used for games that are meant to be more fun. I currently own the dt990 which are more on the fun side, but since I am playing more console I wanted something easier to run. I was looking at the shp9500, x2hr and the audeze mobius.
I am not sure if I can justify the price of the mobius since there are no advantage while playing on console.
The shp9500 are like 150$ with the mic and the x2hr like 250$ with the mic. But I am stuck in will the shp9500 be a bad headphone because I play all different types of games for example at the moment I am playing boarderlands 3 and red dead redemption 2 and they say the shp9500 are only for competitive games. I will also jump back to PC to play any mmo or games not available on console. Any help will be appreciated or if you have any other suggestions on headphone that might fit in between the 2 would be appreciated Thanks in advance and happy new year

SHP9600 and X3 are soon to be released. If you didn't get a good deal (all these multiple 100 bucks deals in the recent months) on the predecessors you might wanna hope for another round of deals once these release. Who knows if it happens. Between SHP9500 and X2, just get the X2.

HD 559s vs X2hr sound only
Anyone?

Just get the X2. See above.

Jan 3, 2020 at 9:49 AM Post #43,596 of 48,561
SHP9600 and X3 are soon to be released. If you didn't get a good deal (all these multiple 100 bucks deals in the recent months) on the predecessors you might wanna hope for another round of deals once these release. Who knows if it happens. Between SHP9500 and X2, just get the X2.

Just get the X2. See above.

Perfect thanks for advice

Also would the creative sxfi either air or theater headphones be worth it since I am able to use them on both console and PC

[merged]

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 3, 2020 at 5:09 PM Post #43,597 of 48,561
I have the Creative Sound Blaster X3 since 3 weeks now, did not have much time to test it so far. My first finding is that SXFI works best with my Sennheiser HD800SD. It can drive it on a decent level and it creates a very nice out of the head feeling. This goes for music firsthand. Will do some gaming over the4 next weeks. First impression with The Division 2 on PC is a very good enemy location. That is what we all want, right?

Jan 3, 2020 at 5:48 PM Post #43,598 of 48,561
No, we want more detailed impressions and comparisons with other VSS, mein Froind.

Jan 4, 2020 at 5:26 AM Post #43,599 of 48,561
I have the Creative Sound Blaster X3 since 3 weeks now, did not have much time to test it so far. My first finding is that SXFI works best with my Sennheiser HD800SD. It can drive it on a decent level and it creates a very nice out of the head feeling. This goes for music firsthand. Will do some gaming over the4 next weeks. First impression with The Division 2 on PC is a very good enemy location. That is what we all want, right?

Thanks for the first impression. Questions, if you have time/willigness to answer:

- do you hear reverb/echo/phase shifting artifcats (artificial "space feeling") in the surround algorithm? I.e. feeling like in an echoic room, when the game is in open-air
- how is the front-to-back localization differentation? This is the major pitfall of almost ALL VSS algos? If you close your eyes, and have sound come from directly front or diretly back in the 3D audio space, can you actually hear and distinguish the direction of the sound (i.e. localize it to front or back) without looking or thinking about it?
- are distant sounds attenuated/amplified (like further away footsteps in 3D FPS games) compared to other VSS? I.e. does it try to artifically enhance distance sounds or completely fade them to non-existance?

Thanks for any/all impressions!

For me the blue-light constant LED alone is a reason NOT to buy the unit. Creative really screwed up on that one (they should have understood the basics of biologically compatible lighting, everybody and their grandma is trying to reduce blue light, and Creative puts in it a blue light that can NOT be turned OFF).

Jan 4, 2020 at 9:13 AM Post #43,600 of 48,561
Regarding the blue light, let me assure you it is very dim. I have the X3 underneath my monitor and is does not bother me at all. But I am on the safe side anyways, I wear glasses for PC work and gaming lenses made by Zeiss with a blue light filter inside. So my monitors run on standard mode blue light filter off. Double blue light filtering looks kind da off to me.
Regarding the sound I will come back later.
1578148723324395295305189968049.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2020 at 12:55 PM Post #43,601 of 48,561
due budget + issues in regards to headphone availability i am stuck between the AKG K371 (closed), SHP9500 (open) and the HD599 (open). Can anyone tell me how much of an upgrade they will be over the HyperX Cloud II?

I wanted to get the 58x jubilee at first, but shipping would be expensive. After that the akg k702 but i have no option to use a dac/amp with my PS4 cause i have the ps4 slim and the soundcards go ver yfar over my budget. So i stick with something that doesnt need a dac/amp and can run both well on my pc and ps4.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2020 at 10:35 AM Post #43,602 of 48,561
Hi all, I've been on the fence in getting a Sound Blaster X3 just for the SFXI and SBX features.

I do have a particular question about it for those folks that have tried it out with tv & movie viewing. I usually stream shows or download mkv movies with 5.1/7.1 Dolby/DTS encoding in them.

Does SFXI or SBX work well with Dolby/DTS encoded formats in providing convincing Virtual Surround Sound through headphones?
I've read about complaints with SFXI that dialogue in movies become hard to distinguish when there are other sound effects going off in the background. Is there a way to adjust this?

Jan 5, 2020 at 1:51 PM Post #43,603 of 48,561
Just took Ghost is a Shell to check for you. Atmos for Headphones enabled plus SXFI sounds much more out of head than with SXFI disabled. Atmos for Headphone disabled and SXFI on sounds very good too, but less dynamic. But honestly PC Bluray sound is still a miracle to me. I use Power DVD 17 for this task. So there is nothing off sounding, both effects on sounds simply amazing to me.

Jan 5, 2020 at 5:33 PM Post #43,604 of 48,561
@Mad Lust Envy Just wanted to share my current laptop setup:

Creative SoundblasterX G6 (using Line-Out w/ Virtualization, prefer Fast Roll-off Linear Phase filter, sounds more lively)
iFi iDefender3.0 + Rosewill USB Powerbank (laptop USB power proved to be noisy and had some ground hum on amp)
Monoprice 3.5mm to dual RCA Premium 22AWG cable 1.5 ft.
Schiit Asgard 3
Beyerdynamic DT-1990 Pro (Balanced Pads + EQ APO/AutoEQ settings) Utter overkill gaming headset :)

y4mgE689_RnCEqxBNihYByx6Lulai7rGZV5RPu_yu9AqXlHuNYSmP9v2C42ElMNCWsKi25f4ZSxCjii06zjtJTUE9VsteQumA9stJN6byqze3nAx-p-HPwZXJjhZX0YYFLfGoSMCR-ic3RLaInYBRb_8ot7cD9U81Qracv_m8MnkcPu3hX-aQmIzSIGuyUdG_lgX22q0HlJeiPt4aze8cOcwg

No mic yet, haven't decided which I want.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2020 at 5:40 PM Post #43,605 of 48,561
Atmos for Headphones enabled plus SXFI sounds much more out of head than with SXFI disabled. Atmos for Headphone disabled and SXFI on sounds very good too, but less dynamic. But honestly PC Bluray sound is still a miracle to me. I use Power DVD 17 for this task. So there is nothing off sounding, both effects on sounds simply amazing to me.
Ok so you actually paid for an Atmos surround license for headphones and you use it in conjunction with SFXI? It never occurred to me you could use both. Interesting.

Too bad the X3 doesn't have a line out. I have a better headphone amp than what the X3 can provide. :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back