Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Dec 17, 2019 at 6:41 AM Post #43,516 of 48,560
The monoprice thx dac/amp has this but it only works as a stereo expander.

Ok, so Dirac Sensaround seems to be just a phase-shift stereo input -> distorted stereo output "stereo image" widener.

Then again, apparently the Dirac 3D Audio is a different software and can take in multi-channel (up to 7.1) input and virtualize it to "3D stereo" soundscape (like CMSS-3D, SBX Studio Pro, Sennheiser GSX, etc).

Can't seem to find any other products for it, other than the Tritton Kunai Pro 7.1 (2019) headset.

Dec 19, 2019 at 12:35 PM Post #43,521 of 48,560
Game/Chat balance for Sound Blaster G6 on PS4

BETA FIRMWARE https://creative.box.com/s/965kkhjhvfn6r19a2log4n1qgxsann5x

Nintendo Switch will be supported in the next beta firmware scheduled next week.

Also:

Does this firmware also adress the problem that on ps4 on every start or quit of a game the microfon stops working until power cycling the g6?

Creative_DevSupport:

No. The microphone issue is still outstanding. We are still looking into it.

The Creative Dev Team has a new firmware that supports Game/Chat balance for Sound Blaster G6 on PS4. This firmware is currently under testing and we would like to offer this firmware to the reddit community who are interested in helping us test it. The interactions are derived based on consideration for the overall usability and to maintain the current UI operations. Please email all of your feedback to socialmedia@creativelabs.com.

Nintendo Switch will be supported in the next beta firmware scheduled next week.

This feature is not supported on PC. Interaction and visual indications are not available when connected to a host computer.

Connectivity/Setup

1. Connect PS4/Pro's Optical-Out to G6's Optical-In

2. Connect PS4/Pro's USB to G6's USB

3. On PS4/Pro setup menu, goto Settings > Sound & Screen > Audio Output Settings, set Primary Output Port to Digital-Out (Optical), you may choose to output either PCM or Dolby Digital for Audio Format

4. Goto Devices > Audio Devices, set Output to Headphones to Chat Audio
The above steps will configure PS4/Pro to output it's game audio through its SPDIF-Out and Voice chat thru USB. This will result in two independent audio stream that the G6 can attenuate individually.

Visual Indication

1. In Game/Chat Mode, Volume Knob LED will become PINK.

2. RGB LED one the "X" logo will be of the following colors and animation
    - GREEN - Both Optical-In and USB Audio are balance at 100% of last set volume
    - CYAN - Chat Audio at max, Game Audio adjusted lower than Chat Audio, if blinking CYAN -> Game Audio adjusted to minimum
    - ORANGE - Game Audio at max, Chat Audio adjusted lower than Game Audio, if blinking ORANGE -> Chat Audio adjusted to minimum
Interaction

1. When connected to PS4, G6 will start up in Master Volume Control Mode.

2. Press and hold Volume Knob to switch to Side Tone Mode (RED Volume LED)

3. Press and hold Volume Knob again to switch to Game/Chat Mode (PINK Volume LED)

4. Press and hold Volume Knob again to switch to Master Volume Control Mode

5. When in Game/Chat Mode:
    - Turn Volume Knob left to gradually lower Chat Audio (ORANGE COLOR)
    - Turn volume knob right to gradually lower Game Audio (CYAN COLOR)
    - Double click on Volume Knob to set to center balance (GREEN), where both game and Chat Audio are balanced at 100%.
    - Single click on Volume Knob to mute master volume (Volume LED will blink)
    - Game/Chat mode will always default to BALANCED (GREEN) when first accessed in PS4.
    - Scout and SBX mode are operational, and will apply on both game audio and chat audio.
Audio Format

1. Audio format supported can be PCM or encoded Dolby Digital stream.

2. If content is Dolby Digital, the Dolby LED indicator on the side of G6 will light up.
Other Fixes

1. Fixed, RGB LED not able to turn off/on in SB Connect

2. Improve power management after inactivity for prolong time

3. Fixed slow boot up on MSI MEG Z390 ACE system

4. Fixed Line-in unable to umute when at maximum level

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2019 at 1:55 PM Post #43,522 of 48,560
Game/Chat balance for Sound Blaster G6 on PS4

BETA FIRMWARE https://creative.box.com/s/965kkhjhvfn6r19a2log4n1qgxsann5x

Also:

The Creative Dev Team has a new firmware that supports Game/Chat balance for Sound Blaster G6 on PS4. This firmware is currently under testing and we would like to offer this firmware to the reddit community who are interested in helping us test it. The interactions are derived based on consideration for the overall usability and to maintain the current UI operations. Please email all of your feedback to socialmedia@creativelabs.com.

This feature is not supported on PC. Interaction and visual indications are not available when connected to a host computer.

Connectivity/Setup

1. Connect PS4/Pro's Optical-Out to G6's Optical-In

2. Connect PS4/Pro's USB to G6's USB

3. On PS4/Pro setup menu, goto Settings > Sound & Screen > Audio Output Settings, set Primary Output Port to Digital-Out (Optical), you may choose to output either PCM or Dolby Digital for Audio Format

4. Goto Devices > Audio Devices, set Output to Headphones to Chat Audio
The above steps will configure PS4/Pro to output it's game audio through its SPDIF-Out and Voice chat thru USB. This will result in two independent audio stream that the G6 can attenuate individually.

Visual Indication

1. In Game/Chat Mode, Volume Knob LED will become PINK.

2. RGB LED one the "X" logo will be of the following colors and animation
    - GREEN - Both Optical-In and USB Audio are balance at 100% of last set volume
    - CYAN - Chat Audio at max, Game Audio adjusted lower than Chat Audio, if blinking CYAN -> Game Audio adjusted to minimum
    - ORANGE - Game Audio at max, Chat Audio adjusted lower than Game Audio, if blinking ORANGE -> Chat Audio adjusted to minimum
Interaction

1. When connected to PS4, G6 will start up in Master Volume Control Mode.

2. Press and hold Volume Knob to switch to Side Tone Mode (RED Volume LED)

3. Press and hold Volume Knob again to switch to Game/Chat Mode (PINK Volume LED)

4. Press and hold Volume Knob again to switch to Master Volume Control Mode

5. When in Game/Chat Mode:
    - Turn Volume Knob left to gradually lower Chat Audio (ORANGE COLOR)
    - Turn volume knob right to gradually lower Game Audio (CYAN COLOR)
    - Double click on Volume Knob to set to center balance (GREEN), where both game and Chat Audio are balanced at 100%.
    - Single click on Volume Knob to mute master volume (Volume LED will blink)
    - Game/Chat mode will always default to BALANCED (GREEN) when first accessed in PS4.
    - Scout and SBX mode are operational, and will apply on both game audio and chat audio.
Audio Format

1. Audio format supported can be PCM or encoded Dolby Digital stream.

2. If content is Dolby Digital, the Dolby LED indicator on the side of G6 will light up.
Other Fixes

1. Fixed, RGB LED not able to turn off/on in SB Connect

2. Improve power management after inactivity for prolong time

3. Fixed slow boot up on MSI MEG Z390 ACE system

4. Fixed Line-in unable to umute when at maximum level

Have you tested it - I posted about it here back on the 16th December and have been running with it since. Voice/Game balance works well in my testing so far.

Dec 19, 2019 at 5:13 PM Post #43,525 of 48,560
Hello,

I am using a Astro A40 mixamp pro tr with my Xbox One X. And am wondering how to set up the Schiit hel with this set up that I already have. I have the HD 990 Pro headsets with a boom mic. Cheers.
Don't. Xbox one does not support usb audio for any device other than Astro Mixamp so the dac/adc section of Hel would be totally wasted here (unless you plan on using it as an amp only and plugging the usb into a pc for chat)

Dec 19, 2019 at 7:51 PM Post #43,527 of 48,560
Hello,

I am using a Astro A40 mixamp pro tr with my Xbox One X. And am wondering how to set up the Schiit Hel with this set up that I already have. I have the HD 990 Pro headsets with a boom mic. Cheers.
HD 990 Por headset?
Do you mean Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250-Ohm headphones?
About the only way you could use the Schiit Hel, with a Mix-amp, is as an add-on headphone amplifier.
So connect the Mix-amp's headphone output jack, to the line-input, on the Hel.
And max out the volume setting on the Xbox and the Mix-amp, to feed a strong signal to the Hel.

Dec 20, 2019 at 1:42 AM Post #43,528 of 48,560
Dec 20, 2019 at 3:42 AM Post #43,529 of 48,560
Stereo only and $70 more than Hel so what's the point, optical is not an advantage if it doesn't accept 5.1 DD.

The point is MLE lamented the lack of an optical in for the HEL because it meant that for current console usage scenarios there is no means of using a separate VSS device to push a pre-mixed digital VSS signal to the HEL. An optical in in this scenario allows for that possibility.

3.5mm analog input - for when you want to use the Fulla just as an amplifier. Not sure I see many use cases for this, which is why I would've taken a digital toslink/optical input instead, if possible.

a digital toslink/spdif optical input would've greatly added to the Fulla and Hel's functionality where it counts

For both devices, particularly the Hel, I believe once Schiit revises it and adds an optical input, it will be a serious contender as my most recommended dac/amp for unprocessed stereo gamers, as it will greatly expand its connectivity. Even us virtual surround users will be able to pipe audio digitally to the Hel.

It’s curious that you would dismiss the notion given your own exchange with MLE on the matter . . .

If you guys wanna do me a solid, head on over to the Asgard 3 thread, and let them know what a good idea it would be for the Asgard 3 to have an add in card with an optical/spdif input instead of usb input, considering how we can hook up literally anything and everything we use with optical, as opposed to usb which is much more limited.

I asked Jason Stoddard for an s/pdif card back when Jotunheim was released and he said that they don't want to have another SKU for like ten people that would buy it. Back in Modi 1 when Modi was USB only they made a separate version called Modi optical (which I used to own) and according to Jason they didn't sell at all.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2019 at 5:14 AM Post #43,530 of 48,560
The point is MLE lamented the lack of an optical in for the HEL because it meant that for current console usage scenarios there is no means of using a separate VSS device to push a pre-mixed digital VSS signal to the HEL. An optical in in this scenario allows for that possibility.

It’s curious that you would dismiss the notion given your own exchange with MLE on the matter . . .
Yeah but in order to use optical for that you'd need to have either an X7 or a G6 both of which have console-compaible mic inputs (X7 with a BT-W2) so the Arc's featureset is redundant considering it doesn't have Hel's superior mic input or Asgard 3 power output.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back