Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Dec 11, 2019 at 10:16 AM Post #43,486 of 48,560
Well if they sound good to you then keep on enjoying them. But know there is an untapped potential hiding in there.
As for Hel, you can plug both usb cables into your source device, with one used only to provide power to Hel, it doesn't necessarily have to be a wallwart (as long as the usb port provides required power for Hel to operate).
I already acknowledged “untapped potential” in my previous posts when I alluded to having a THX AAA 789 and it being better than the G6, remember? I assume you’re not suggesting that the HEL can unlock (more) untapped potential in the HD800s that the THX cannot. . .!? ;-p

It’s the degree of untapped potential that the HEL might unlock in excess of the G6 that I am not sold on enough to fork out a couple of hundred more.

As for wall wart, pretty sure MLE’s review and if not that then the Schiit product page says it *needs* a wall wart suggesting usbx-only from source device would be insufficient. Are you saying that a PS, Xbox, laptop or whatever could power it with just a second USB cable?

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2019 at 10:26 AM Post #43,487 of 48,560
With the Hel, the usb needs to feed it 2.1amps. I don't know if there are many devices that give out that much through their usb ports.

Most tend to fall under 1.5amps maxed IIRC. I could be wrong.

This is why I stated it needs its specific wall wart. People will try to plug it to anything only to realize it ain't working up to spec.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2019 at 1:19 PM Post #43,488 of 48,560
Magni was a #1 recommendation for an amp here ever since they added variable out and a gain switch

I realize that, and this thread is part of the reason why I owned the original as my first foray into higher end audio gear. I just saw they updated it, and added the Hersey to the line up, and was curious if anybody had tried the latest iteration.

Dec 13, 2019 at 12:29 AM Post #43,490 of 48,560
Just got an Earforce DSS2 out of curiosity and because they can currently be had brand new for just £20 on Amazon.

Gotta say, I’m mighty impressed with it for such a small, light and cheap device that was released in 2012.

Thus far have only tried it with the Fidelio X2s but have been impressed with the sound quality and particularly the holography of its VSS. The multiple speaker angle configs were a first I think for a gaming dac and with 6 possible speaker arrangements, AFAIK, it’s still the most in-line customisable implementation of VSS in a gaming device.

The only real caveats are power (not sure what the impedance range is but given its size and weight, I don’t imagine it will be enough for power hungry headphones) and the fact that it won’t take USB audio so PC users will need optical for any sound and Dolby digital encoding if they want to use its VSS so it’s definitely more suited to console use.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2019 at 6:58 AM Post #43,491 of 48,560
So I am still looking for headphones that will be as comfortable as Sennheiser HD 5xx, if not as comfortable as Beyerdynamic 770 - 990. Comfort is very important. However, sound is also very important. Additionally. If I need any equalization to achieve more of a sound I am looking for. The headphones will need to be able to handle the EQ'ing in the lower frequencies.

I do not recall ever doing a side by side comparison of two headphones. One with forward mids, and the other that favors bass and treble. Unfortunately.

You might be curious about my budget. As a console gamer. I am of the mind that anything over $300 is excessive. This does not include the cost of any amp/mixamp. So, no, the HD 650's are out of the question. Besides, I might be leaning toward a closed-back headphone. However, I am not convinced that a V shaped sound is for me.

A previous poster suggested V moda, though I would be concerned about comfort. I bought the CAL's, though they sound decent, they are uncomfortable. I am afraid I would be getting into the same situation with the V moda headphones.

I have been considering the AKG's. Though, I am wary, as the OP has warned about the downward force of the headband. Also, it's unclear what the mids are comparable to, apart from other AKG headphones he has listed here. Are the mids of AKG's as recessed as Beyerdynamic ?

Dec 13, 2019 at 12:07 PM Post #43,492 of 48,560
Fidelio X2... if you're open to open backed.

Closed... Hmmm so few that I can think of, as in none...

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2019 at 8:53 AM Post #43,494 of 48,560
I wonder why they went with those pads. they look itchy. If they truly sit over/around the ear, I guess it wouldn't matter. Thanks
The X2s are a great recommendation. Velour is common among enthusiast open-backed headphones because of its comfort and audio properties. They tend not to get as hot as leather / pleather pads, and are more conducive to an open sound stage. They won’t be “itchy” unless you have an allergy or skin particularly sensitive to microfibre materials. With the X2, unless you have humongous ears you don’t need to worry about them not sitting “truly over/around the ear”, the cup apertures are very big.

If you are set on closed back, have a look at Sennheiser’s gaming line (GSP300 etc.) or if you want to economise then a Hyper X Cloud will give you great performance relative to a cheap and cheerful price.

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2019 at 11:10 AM Post #43,495 of 48,560
Finally picked up GSP670. So far pretty good. Will post some longer impressions once I spend some more hours with it.
20191214_170436.jpg
@Evshrug is Dekoni going to release pads for GSP 670 anytime soon?

Dec 14, 2019 at 1:02 PM Post #43,496 of 48,560
Interesting, looking forward to your impressions.

Dec 14, 2019 at 4:22 PM Post #43,497 of 48,560
Finally picked up GSP670. So far pretty good. Will post some longer impressions once I spend some more hours with it.

@Evshrug is Dekoni going to release pads for GSP 670 anytime soon?

Never say never!
... but not in the next few months.

I wonder why they went with those pads. they look itchy. If they truly sit over/around the ear, I guess it wouldn't matter. Thanks

Hey PlayStation!
Not to tell you which headphone to buy, but we thought we’d chime in since we know a thing or two about headphone pads. Those Phillips (and many others) use Velour material on the surface, which feels similar to a blanket on your skin, fortunately not prickly with stuff hairs like Velvet. The Philips pads are indeed large enough to fit around most people’s ears to rest on the head without putting any pressure on the ears themselves. It’s a fine option, but full disclosure: we don’t make pads for them (but a couple other accessories!).

If you do decide to go for the AKGs mentioned earlier, we do make a number of accessories meant to help those: Velour pads with a tighter weave and higher thread count than the stock pads (think again about blankets and sheets, and how a higher thread count is usually softer, which was our goal!), or alternative materials like Sheepskin or Protein Leather. One of our colleagues is also a gamer with a long history with the AKGs, and he uses our Nuggets to solve the hard-headband discomfort. So, if you did go that route, those are a few things which might “complete” the package and suit your preferences.

Last edited:
Dekoni Audio Stay updated on Dekoni Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Dekoni Audio @dekoniaudio http://www.dekoniaudio.com sales@dekoniaudio.com
Dec 14, 2019 at 6:41 PM Post #43,498 of 48,560
Question: On my laptop, if i use USB port>DAC>AMP>Headphone, will i still be able to activate windows sonic, or Dolby atmos for headphone by right clicking on the sound icon in the taskbar? Disaster if not.

Dec 15, 2019 at 10:22 AM Post #43,500 of 48,560
I just recently bought a Soundblaster G6 and I'm a bit confused as to whether or not it's actually set up properly. I'm using it on my PC with SBX turned on and 7.1 enabled in the Creative settings, but the Dolby light never comes on. In Resident Evil 2, I've tried using all of the different options (Dolby Atmos, headphones, TV, 7.1 surround sound) but I never get any indication that it's actually giving me proper virtual surround. Am I just out of luck if the game doesn't give me a proper Dolby signal?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back