Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Nov 21, 2018 at 12:16 PM Post #41,581 of 48,562
Do you game with them at all?

Also semi off topic, but.. does Massdrop let you return product you don't like? Not sure I could buy a drop blindly if I couldn't return for a refund if I didn't like the sound.

I game with them constantly. They're awesome for gaming and movies. If you didn't like them I don't think they take returns at Massdrop. You could easily sell them for close to purchase price I'd imagine.

Nov 21, 2018 at 1:23 PM Post #41,582 of 48,562
I am in the market for a pair of fun oriented headphones.

For competitive use I have a pair of K702's but for single player gaming and occasional music listening (ratio around 70/30 in favor of gaming) I would like to complement the K702's with something that has a bit more punch.
Amp and DAC are available (Schiit 3 stack).
Plan to spend up to 350 € - after some initial research I am looking at the X2s, K712s, HE-400s, Pro 900s and the 650s but I am not necessarily locked into those in particular.

Recommendations highly appreciated!

Nov 21, 2018 at 1:58 PM Post #41,584 of 48,562
The VSS it uses is a newer iteration of DTS X Headphone. It's different to Dolby Headphone (however this device doesn't decode DTS signals).

It sounds dramatically better than the iteration used in the Turtle Beach TAC if anyone here has tried that device. The VSS on that device made games literally sound like you were in a cargo container ... with really hollow audio (with VSS on).

Interesting, thanks. So it will do VSS on the Xbox then, but with chat complications. I might try this just because I am curious to try every VSS under the sun...

Nov 21, 2018 at 2:42 PM Post #41,585 of 48,562
Does the gamedac output vss to the line out port like the g6?
hi,
Just hooked it up to a stax srm-006t and my sr-507 via the line out on the gamedac. it does apply surround sound but only when in pc or ps4 mode not in the hi res mode, but this is as expected as the hi res mode is stereo only anyway.

I'm comparing the line out on this to the balanced out on a musical fidelity mx dac, and i must say its much lower output level and also has noise but its acceptable and also an unfair comparison.

Nov 21, 2018 at 3:38 PM Post #41,586 of 48,562
That is my suggestion as well. Make sure your drivers and firmware are updated so your settings stay saved.

Set it to 7.1 speakers as well. This can be done in the setup menu in the software.

I thought you and @Fegefeuer were discussing earlier in the thread that 5.1 sounded better than 7.1 (on console, at least) because those additional 2 channels sounded kinda fake and over-processed?

Nov 21, 2018 at 3:43 PM Post #41,587 of 48,562
It comes with a dongle/adapter which supports mic input. You'll have to use an adapter like the Sennheiser PCV05 if you have a headset/setup has seperate outputs/inputs.

It's on sale at Steelseries for 75USD due to Black Friday/Cyber Monday if you login to an account. Which is why I have one lol.

Thanks for the mention. $64.99, no tax, free shipping. Curiosity got the better of me, so I snagged one.

Nov 22, 2018 at 2:47 AM Post #41,588 of 48,562
I think the GSX1000 died on me. It won't display anything or connect anymore. @Sennheiser needs to have an on/off switch for it next time.

I thought you and @Fegefeuer were discussing earlier in the thread that 5.1 sounded better than 7.1 (on console, at least) because those additional 2 channels sounded kinda fake and over-processed?

I dunno having tested it recently, 7.1 sounds better to me now. I haven't been doing to much testing lately, and have been mostly using the Mobius which you know has its own dsp.

Nov 23, 2018 at 7:53 PM Post #41,591 of 48,562
I have a question of something I just noticed with the G6. The manual says that he middle light on the right hand side is supposed to illuminate if Dolby Digital is input. The light on the far right is really bright for headphone output, but the middle one for DD is very faint. How bright is it supposed to be? I'm trying to figure out if the G6 for some reason not detecting that DD is being input or if it is and the indicator light is just really faint.

Nov 23, 2018 at 9:27 PM Post #41,592 of 48,562
I have a question of something I just noticed with the G6. The manual says that he middle light on the right hand side is supposed to illuminate if Dolby Digital is input. The light on the far right is really bright for headphone output, but the middle one for DD is very faint. How bright is it supposed to be? I'm trying to figure out if the G6 for some reason not detecting that DD is being input or if it is and the indicator light is just really faint.

20181123_182402.jpg

It's the same as the other light. It does bleed through so it's not easy to tell.

Nov 23, 2018 at 9:28 PM Post #41,593 of 48,562
20181123_182402.jpg

It's the same as the other light. It does bleed through so it's not easy to tell.

Thanks. I just realized that I don’t think it’s detecting Dolby over optical and now it’s going to drive me nuts trying to figure out why.

Nov 23, 2018 at 9:47 PM Post #41,595 of 48,562
You’re right. And still I’m not getting it to detect Dolby digital out of either my Xbox One X or PS4 Pro. I know for a fact that they outputting DD, not sure why the G6 isn’t picking it up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back