Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Nov 1, 2018 at 1:21 AM Post #41,491 of 48,561
I think that's the issue I have with my Massdrop K7XX that sound stage is to big and i have difficulty in Black Ops 4 hearing footsteps and pin pointing them sometime. I have order the ad900x, HD 598, and pro 990 to see if any of them are better.
Yes I would like to know the same thing about Massdrop's return policy because I want to get the HD 58X and don't want to be stuck with them if I don't like them.
From my understanding, unless the products ships to you defective or damaged during shipment, which Massdrop will deal with for the first 30 days, There is no returning of product.
Massdrop is a one time group buy, on a product, Massdrop is not setup for long term support of any product it deals with, for a group buy (my opinion).

Nov 1, 2018 at 1:24 AM Post #41,492 of 48,561
Do you game with them at all?

Also semi off topic, but.. does Massdrop let you return product you don't like? Not sure I could buy a drop blindly if I couldn't return for a refund if I didn't like the sound.
With Massdrop, no returning of product, unless it's shipped to you defective or is damaged during shipment (covered the first 30 days).

Nov 1, 2018 at 3:40 AM Post #41,493 of 48,561
i took my g6 to work to try out with some grado sr325's.

this is actually a REALLY good quality dac amp combo, to the point i feel it worth praise as just a simple all in one stereo dac amp setup. if only i could get around the mic monitor issue i have with it :frowning2:

Nov 1, 2018 at 7:42 AM Post #41,494 of 48,561
With Massdrop, no returning of product, unless it's shipped to you defective or is damaged during shipment (covered the first 30 days).
So...There's probably going to be some supply on eBay in the near future then.... I don't think I could blind buy something without the ability to return it if I didn't like it after day... 7 days or something.

Edit: HE-XX just dropped... If somebody grabs these please post your review!

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2018 at 12:50 PM Post #41,495 of 48,561
So...There's probably going to be some supply on eBay in the near future then.... I don't think I could blind buy something without the ability to return it if I didn't like it after day... 7 days or something.

Edit: HE-XX just dropped... If somebody grabs these please post your review!

Especially with a Hifiman product I would be weary of buying it from MD. Their resell value is always poor, and you will likely take a bath if you do not like it.

Nov 1, 2018 at 12:56 PM Post #41,496 of 48,561
Yeah I see multiple X00's on eBay for 50% of their new price on Massdrop. With something so subjective... I'd never buy it blind like that knowing resale is poor. I'd just be curious to see how they compare against X and also Sundara.

Nov 1, 2018 at 1:08 PM Post #41,497 of 48,561
I think there are a lot of people that are sensitive the the Fostex treble spike. I recently tried out a pair of the Foxtex th900 blues and really didnt like them compared to my original th900s. They took away some of the bass that makes the headphone work, and left all of the treble. IT does allow the mids to be heard more, but IMO ruins what the th900 is. A fun V shaped sound signature that has a damn good soundstage for a semi closed can.

In fact the Th900 handle virtual surround very well. There have been many times that I have forgot to turn off surround, and have enjoyed listening to music. It just works.

Nov 1, 2018 at 8:24 PM Post #41,501 of 48,561
Anybody order the Super X-Fi yet? Sale page is live for the US.

https://us.sxfi.com/products/sxfi-amp

Yep.

10 weeks for delivery. (They will "endeavor" to ship it in 10 weeks, anyway... whatever that means.) And no refunds or cancellations. A bit risky to pre-order but I did it anyway because I've been waiting so long for this thing. Crossing my fingers Creative does not go bankrupt in the next two months...

Nov 2, 2018 at 3:06 AM Post #41,502 of 48,561
Picked up a G6 a week or so ago and really pleased with it - having tested it with my Game One, HD58x and now K702. Using it on PS4.

Not sure if I need to tweak some settings but the SBX processing didn't seem to play nice with CoD Blackout last night. I have most of the processing (Crystaliser etc) turned off and surround set to 'Wide' rather than ultra wide. In most games this is just right for me, especially with the K702s, Thing is, on Blackout, footsteps sound like they are literally right next to me when in fact the enemy is a long way off, kept turning expecting someone running behind me when in fact they are dots in the distance? I've gone back to turning off SBX on this game and get far better positional cues that way?

Is there the odd game or two where SBX isn't the best option?

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2018 at 5:41 AM Post #41,503 of 48,561
Picked up a G6 a week or so ago and really pleased with it - having tested it with my Game One, HD58x and now K702. Using it on PS4.

Not sure if I need to tweak some settings but the SBX processing didn't seem to play nice with CoD Blackout last night. I have most of the processing (Crystaliser etc) turned off and surround set to 'Wide' rather than ultra wide. In most games this is just right for me, especially with the K702s, Think is, on Blackout, footsteps sound like they are literally right next to me when in fact the enemy is a long way off, kept turning expecting someone running behind me when in fact they are dots in the distance? I've gone back to turning off SBX on this game and get far better positional cues that way?

Are there the odd game or two where SBX isn't the best option?

I had same issue. I also have G6 with massdrop K7XX and I felt like I couldn't pinpoint footsteps in Blackout with any surround options. I dont know if it's because of AKG sound stage is so big to begin with. I'm currently doing test with other headphones(990 pro, ad900x, HD 598) so far for me in plan stereo I seem to get a little better positional ques. I know a lot of people said the footsteps and sounds were bugged. I think they put a patch out the other day and I think footsteps got a little better. I just started the testing so I will let you know in about a week what I find.

Also could you please answer how do you like the massdrop HD 58X for gaming? I'm thinking about picking them up over the HD 598 I bought.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back