Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Aug 27, 2018 at 1:39 PM Post #40,801 of 48,561
Wasn't there a difference between the G5's surround vs. the E5's? Maybe the G6 retained that difference.

Edit: Is their FAQ wrong?

Does virtual surround work with consoles like the PS4, Xbox and the Nintendo Switch?
Virtual surround only works when connected to PC.

If this decodes DD does that mean it only decodes it to send it to speakers?? If so then this is actually useless to me. I am assuming the FAQ answer is just incorrect inasmuch as you need a PC to configure surround? The ad copy explicitly states console 5.1/DD compatibility all over the place. MLE can you clarify this?

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2018 at 2:07 PM Post #40,802 of 48,561
So close to being perfect until I read - Xbox Voice not supported?? Once day we'll get someone other than Astro willing to stump up the stupid Microsoft tax :frowning2: . Although Creative offering a free H5 headset with orders which once sold could make this a pretty economical purchase for single player on XB and all PS gaming??
Microsoft tax for this feature is $35 and requires implementing special authentication chip on the PCB. Tbh I'm surprised Astro decided to swallow that.

Aug 27, 2018 at 2:10 PM Post #40,803 of 48,561
f this decodes DD does that mean it only decodes it to send it to speakers?? If so then this is actually useless to me. I am assuming the FAQ answer is just incorrect inasmuch as you need a PC to configure surround? The ad copy explicitly states console 5.1/DD compatibility all over the place. MLE can you clarify this?

Was just about to query the same point

Aug 27, 2018 at 2:14 PM Post #40,804 of 48,561
The Switch is a recent addition, but I don't see that it does anything but plain stereo.

Aug 27, 2018 at 2:26 PM Post #40,805 of 48,561
The Switch is a recent addition, but I don't see that it does anything but plain stereo.

Do you happen to have an Xbox or PS4 to test its decoding on?

If this thing does not do virtual surround on consoles I'd do a huge 180 on this product. It's not a cheaper X7 by any means without that, really. And on Creative's marketing decisions.... other than the FAQ answer it would be pretty misleading to not have virtual surround on consoles when it hypes its "console compatibility" and Dolby decoding and 5.1/7.1 virtual surround all over its ad copy.

The E5 also is "console compatible" inasmuch as you can plug in an optical input (and get stereo sound). If that is all they are basing console compatibility on that's misleading (and, I don't see what purpose this would serve beyond the E5/G5?). I hope the FAQ is wrong....

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2018 at 2:37 PM Post #40,806 of 48,561
'Does virtual surround work with consoles like the PS4, Xbox and the Nintendo Switch?
Virtual surround only works when connected to PC.'

Like you say - this is in the FAQs on their main product page - pretty definitive by the looks of it??

Aug 27, 2018 at 2:42 PM Post #40,807 of 48,561
well, MLE surely tested it and wouldn't call it a lighter version of the X7 (for consoles etc.) if it didn't decode AC3 and virtual surround it.

Aug 27, 2018 at 2:55 PM Post #40,809 of 48,561
'Does virtual surround work with consoles like the PS4, Xbox and the Nintendo Switch?
Virtual surround only works when connected to PC.'

Like you say - this is in the FAQs on their main product page - pretty definitive by the looks of it??

I dunno it just seems like this product serves zero purpose beyond the E5 and G5 and X7 without being console compatible. The marketing seems totally contradictory to that FAQ answer which is why I wonder if it is just incorrect. I mean, is there any reason for DD decoding on this device other than console virtual headphone surround? Wouldn't you have to output optical from this to a receiver anyway (which presumably could decode DD itself without this thing?) It does not have analog outs like the X7 for a 5.1 system.

Aug 27, 2018 at 4:05 PM Post #40,810 of 48,561
I also find the DD decoding and virtual sound processing abilities marketed on the website somewhat contradicting.

Is it possible that it will decode DD, but SBX/virtual surround is only possible if you connect it to a pc and use the control panel to turn it on. (as well as adjusting the different settings) ?

Either way there should be a SBX button or similar to turn it on/off on the unit.

Aug 27, 2018 at 4:21 PM Post #40,811 of 48,561
I also find the DD decoding and virtual sound processing abilities marketed on the website somewhat contradicting.

Is it possible that it will decode DD, but SBX/virtual surround is only possible if you connect it to a pc and use the control panel to turn it on. (as well as adjusting the different settings) ?

Yeah that's basically what I am hoping is the case. Hopefully I can figure this out in the next two days as that is how long I have to cancel my order. :D

Aug 27, 2018 at 4:22 PM Post #40,812 of 48,561
Ok, talked to Creative and they will get back to me. But i seriously doubt SBX is only available on PC, it may be limited if you do not have pc to control it, but i do believe the SBX button on the unit will activate/deactivate SBX on the whole unit, not only on the USB audio.

Aug 27, 2018 at 4:39 PM Post #40,813 of 48,561
Creative Live Chat said the following:-

'If the gaming console is connected via optical in, it will support the Dolby Digital Decoding. If connected via USB (PC/Mac), virtual surround can be achieve via Sound Blaster Connect.'

Aug 27, 2018 at 4:45 PM Post #40,814 of 48,561
Does it support remote control of any kind? Or do the settings need to be first set on PC and then the entire thing connected to the console (like Recon did) or can we adjust them in real time (like on X7).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back