Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Aug 11, 2018 at 5:24 AM Post #40,711 of 48,561
I think I'm the only person with this problem. It may be my PC causing this too.

What I'm gonna do is not use the USB function on the X7 for awhile. See if the problem arises again. In the meantime I'll just use the Senn GSX1000 for PC use. Well... after the Mobius review is refreshed and done. I won't get a real chance to write until Monday. Audeze caught me at a bad time, as I don't get a day off until my vacation starts on the 26th, and then I'M ON VACATION. Ugh. I'm gonna have to find time.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2018 at 1:23 AM Post #40,712 of 48,561
Just tried Waves Nx vs. OOYH (game demo). Black Ops III multiplayer, 7.1, HD800S.

OOYH was...wow. Rear cues made me jump out of my chair, they were the best I have heard yet vs. SBX, Waves, Razer, Windows Sonic, and Dolby Atmos. (I know I am late to the OOYH party, you guys were discussing it here 2 years ago, I just never got around to trying it as I was satisfied with my X7). I was surprised because sound quality wise I was less than enthused before the matches started. (Everything sounded kind of tinny and far away, bass was anemic.). But rear cues were best I have heard yet. I think I remember reading it uses Realiser A8 recordings so maybe that is why. (So if this is any indication of what my Realiser A16 might sound like if it ever gets delivered...yum. Delicious.)

Waves Nx was definitely second fiddle. I will not be buying it, even though it is cheap. HD800S definitely shows off its crazypants huge soundstage with the Waves software but rear cues are why I came to this party. I will sacrifice many things at their altar. (They were not much better than SBX, frankly, and the SBX doesn't not skimp on sound quality). But OOYH is another tier, even with its generic PRIR that it is using. Too bad I don't game on the PC too much anymore!

I will say OOYH software leaves much to be desired.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2018 at 10:17 AM Post #40,713 of 48,561
Hello,
So I have a pretty high end setup that is great for most things. Sony Z1R headphones, Cavalli Liquid Gold amp, Schiit Gungnir Multibit dac, custom cables etc. Everything sounds great but I'm particularly looking for the best headphones I can get dedicated solely for competitive shooters and nothing else. I am interested in what will have the best imaging, separation, sound stage, etc so I can pinpoint footsteps loud and clear.

Not too concerned about budget. What cans should I be looking at?
Also, should I look into sound mixing stuff?

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2018 at 11:14 AM Post #40,714 of 48,561
Hello,
So I have a pretty high end setup that is great for most things. Sony Z1R headphones, Cavalli Liquid Gold amp, Schiit Gungnir Multibit dac, custom cables etc. Everything sounds great but I'm particularly looking for the best headphones I can get dedicated solely for competitive shooters and nothing else. I am interested in what will have the best imaging, separation, sound stage, etc so I can pinpoint footsteps loud and clear.

Not too concerned about budget. What cans should I be looking at?
Also, should I look into sound mixing stuff?
If you can afford the z1r you can afford hd800

Aug 12, 2018 at 11:26 AM Post #40,716 of 48,561
I said budget is not really a concern but the only point in your comment is about price. That doesn't really help me, sorry.

His recommendation is still spot on. HD800 is the only answer.

Aug 12, 2018 at 12:23 PM Post #40,717 of 48,561
Well there is nothing better than HD800 for gaming. HE-1 maybe but that's just ridiculously overkill

Aug 12, 2018 at 12:37 PM Post #40,718 of 48,561
His recommendation is still spot on. HD800 is the only answer.
Well there is nothing better than HD800 for gaming. HE-1 maybe but that's just ridiculously overkill

I was initially leaning toward the HD800 but then saw someone on reddit say the DT 1990 Pro was better for competitive gaming with better positioning as well as an enhanced vertical plane. Has anyone compared the two?

Aug 12, 2018 at 2:35 PM Post #40,719 of 48,561
I trust my people, and at the very high end, I always see HD800. Knowing them and how they know what to expect, I wouldn't go anywhere if I was looking at the very top end for headphones and gaming.

ONE DAY, ONE DAY I'LL GET THE CHANCE TO REVIEW THEM. @Sennheiser, YOU HEAR ME? :grin:

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2018 at 3:33 PM Post #40,720 of 48,561
I was initially leaning toward the HD800 but then saw someone on reddit say the DT 1990 Pro was better for competitive gaming with better positioning as well as an enhanced vertical plane. Has anyone compared the two?

I just poked around Reddit looking for that comment to see what that person was smoking, and saw a few D1990 vs. HD800 posts . All of the comments I saw said the HD800 had a bigger soundstage and better detail (imaging). I'm not quite sure what enhanced vertical plane means. Some people nonetheless preferred the 1990 for music/fun/whatever but that's not why you're here, right?

I'm a very lucky HD800S owner (basically the HD800 minus the 6k "treble spike") and I can confirm its stage is crazy huge. Couple that with probably the best imaging in a dynamic driver (maybe even of any driver) and you really can create an artificial, wonderful 3D headspace around you in your games with both accurate position and distance. Its bottleneck will only be the quality (or lack thereof) of your game's audio and whatever surround DSP you are using. Look for deals on them used.

As was mentioned you can also look at top end planars or even electrostats. (Stax) I've never tried Stax but IIRC MLE reviewed one, and lots of people gush over their imaging abilities. I have a Koss ESP950 that does do amazing detail but its stage is smaller than the HD800 (and its imaging is still not on par). From memory my HE-560 came closest to the HD800 as far as reasonably priced planars go. But, easier to just call it a day and get the HD800/S.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2018 at 1:41 AM Post #40,722 of 48,561
That I don't know. A lot of people cheaply mod the 800 successfully to get the same effect of the S. I have no idea how that affects the stage or imaging, if at all. (E.g. if the unmodded 800 is actually better purely in terms of positional accuracy or whatever).

My guess would be: no, the price premium is not worth it, if this is more for gaming. I only have the S because I got a decent used deal on it.

Aug 13, 2018 at 3:05 AM Post #40,724 of 48,561
Get the HD800, french mod it. Have a bit less of the resonator effect of the HD800S but slightly cleaner bass. Better tradeoff.

Aug 13, 2018 at 4:30 AM Post #40,725 of 48,561
Thanks for the input. 800 is $1093 usd on Amazon right now..Seems like used ones on eBay don't go for much less than that.

I did get a chance to listen to a pair of HD800 a couple years ago, and they really do sound amazing. I have too many open back headphones that pretty much do the same thing. Would be nice to scale the lot back to one or two and have the 800's be the daily driver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back