Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
May 20, 2018 at 9:05 PM Post #40,231 of 48,561
I see a lot of people recommend the HD 700 as the best headphones for gaming. Has anyone had a chance to try the HD 660s yet? If so how do they compare? I was thinking about getting one of those but haven't heard anything about how the 660s sound for gaming. I've been going through a lot of headphones since I found this thread and just can't seem to settle on any. So far the HD 598 sound the best from what I have tried. I recently got the GSP 600 but don't like the closed off sound. Bought the GSP 500 and they seem to sound weaker than the HD 598. I use the GSX 1000 for an amp and the volume sitting at 60 seems to not be enough for the GSP 500 but was fine for the 598. Maybe I don't have it set up right.

Just answered this almost exact question in another thread here

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sennheiser-gsx-1000-1200-impressions.824923/page-76#post-14252606

The HD700s are what I usually have connected to my GSX.
I've got HD650's and HD600's but don't use them for gaming.

Haven't tried the 660's though, so can't say for sure.

edit: I'd probably be using my HD598's or PC-37x's before either of the HD6## sets for gaming on the GSX. If the HD660's are closer to the other two 6's then I'd probably keep using the sets you already have rather than switching.

May 20, 2018 at 10:36 PM Post #40,234 of 48,561
So planar's are the best choice for fps 7.1 gaming ?

I have the HD400i's and the LCD2's - both are fine for gaming, but aren't my goto choice.

I do usually throw the HD400i's in my travel bag though and am more than happy to game with them when away from home.

May 21, 2018 at 3:39 AM Post #40,235 of 48,561
Could someone help me to make a decision between these: k701 (bumps or no bump version?), k702 or k712?
The k701 is 185$
Both k702 and k712 is 245$

Also planning on getting the Creative AE-5.

I'm only gonna use it for gaming, pubg mainly right now.

I'm currently using sennheiser pc360 from 2012 or something, plugged in my motherboard asus maximus x hero with the SupremeFX S1220 codec.
With this current setup i cant seem to hear footsteps good enough, so i have been using this method https://forums.playbattlegrounds.com/topic/15386-how-to-guide-for-windowsgame-audio-compression/ which makes hearing footsteps easier at least. But i would rather have something that works as good out of the box, so i would like to try the AKG's and see.

And back to my problem, I'm not really sure how much difference there is between these 3 models when it comes to e.g footsteps in FPS games? From what I've read here it seems to me the k701 is best for this? Are the other two noticeably worse for hearing footsteps?

Thanks in advance for any help:)

May 21, 2018 at 5:03 AM Post #40,236 of 48,561
Footsteps are almost entirely based on how they're mixed in per GAME. For example one call of duty may have good footstep audio, and another one may have really muted steps. You can't buy headphones based on footsteps, as it is up to the game to mix the sound in enough.

I don't know how PubG does with footsteps.

May 21, 2018 at 5:10 AM Post #40,237 of 48,561
Btw RIP to anyone waiting on those Ossic headphones. This is why I'm highly skeptical on stuff like Kickstarters. I've backed a few games that have since released or about to, but I could never sink so much money on a product who is entirely relying on those funds.

I really thought those headphones were being released. Now, millions of dollars gone.

Last edited:
May 21, 2018 at 5:27 AM Post #40,238 of 48,561
Footsteps are almost entirely based on how they're mixed in per GAME. For example one call of duty may have good footstep audio, and another one may have really muted steps. You can't buy headphones based on footsteps, as it is up to the game to mix the sound in enough.

I don't know how PubG does with footsteps.

Thanks for the reply, i guess you're right about that. It might not be that much better from what i already get in pubg right now.
But i still wanna try something new:p and it seems like one of these AKGs is the right choice, i would just like to know if you took one game and tested all three of these, how big of a difference would there be in e.g footsteps between them? Is it noticeable at all?

May 21, 2018 at 6:43 AM Post #40,239 of 48,561
It entirely depends on the frequency of the footsteps. AKG K701 has a peaky upper midrange, so if footsteps are in that register, then they'll be easier to hear. Like I said, it is based entire on the game, and what ranges of frequencies the footsteps are audible in. Now, the K701 is a very detail oriented headphone, so you can rest assured those minute details will sound great off them. They are a more detailed headphone than the Sennheisers. I haven't heard the HD700 so I'm not talking of those, but of the 5xx range.

May 21, 2018 at 6:52 AM Post #40,240 of 48,561
Guys, you think it's better the V Moda Boom microphone or the Samson Meteor?

I need to buy a microphone for the HD559.
With the V Moda Boom i will get headphone+microphone+adapter for 146€
With the Meteor i will get headphone+microphone+cable for having 3.5mm for 162€

So there is a difference of 16€, not a big deal. So, which one is better of the two microphone?
PS: It's better to buy the cable at 19€(this one https://www.amazon.it/dp/B00UOLLFBI...olid=2MVPIK7J09EJ2&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it) or a 6.3mm to 3.5mm adapter is the same thing in term of quality?

May 21, 2018 at 7:05 AM Post #40,241 of 48,561
My Beyerdynamic MMX300 Gaming Headset Review is up over at www.headphone.guru! Please make sure to drop by and give it a read. Lemme know what you think! I had a lot of fun using this headset.

http://headphone.guru/beyerdynamic-mmx300/

I'll be adding it to the guide today (hopefully, lol). edit: Done.

----------
----------

Beyerdynamic MMX300 2nd Gen (*headset*)
mmx300carpet1.jpg

Under $300 (as of May 2018)
Where to buy: Amazon
The full review of the Beyerdynamic MMX300 2nd Gen gaming headset can be found over at Headphone.guru. Here's a snippet of the review about its gaming performance:

Marketed for gamers all over the product page for the MMX300, you better believe it better deliver. The MMX300 is undeniably a very strong gaming headset with fantastic immersive qualities in its bass and soundstage.

The bass faithfully excecutes explosions and other ground shaking impacts with ease. This is one fun gaming headset.

The MMX300 may not be the most detailed headphone in terms of midrange focused sounds, but it is still good and beyond satisfactory here. Unless you are the most hardcore gamer who needs 100% focus on just micro details, I don’t see many complaints here especially for gaming needs.

Treble details is a highlight for nitpicky gamers looking for the sharpest of pindrops, which the MMX300 excels in. There is plenty of sparkle and vibrancy to be found.

The large soundstage paired with its amazing virtual surround capabilities, makes the MMX300 one of the best closed gaming headphones/headsets for accurate positional audio cues that I’ve heard.

The MMX300 can do all forms of gaming well, with a lean towards fun, casual gaming, though is more than capable as a competitive gaming headset. As it is, this is one of those “Multi-purpose” headsets, more than a specialty headset that is focused on one thing or another.

I think the Vmoda BoomPro has a REALLY good microphone. I posted an example on the first page.

Last edited:
May 21, 2018 at 7:02 PM Post #40,243 of 48,561
The trade-off with adding compression to hear footsteps better is that, although it can make them louder, the ability to determine how far away they are becomes reduced. I suppose panning would also end up being more aggressive, so that would reduce imaging quality also.

Last edited:
May 21, 2018 at 11:32 PM Post #40,244 of 48,561
Well....the rabbit hole has lead me to you all.

Here’s how I got here. I put together a new PC, abd selected a SoundBlaster AE-5.

My rig wont recognize it in cold boots, ONLY on the subsequent reboot. Super annoying. No word from Creative Support so far. Blah. I might have it for sale shortly.

So in my quest for a solution, I stumbled across someone asking me why I wanted an internal sound card anyway, that an external DAC and Amp was the way to go.

For the next few hours I researched Schiit, Fiio, Sennheiser GSX, CMSS-3D, Dolby Headphone, etc. etc.

I know a few things for sure:

1. I like positional audio in games.
2. I like/need closed back headphones.

With that in mind, for equipment I’m thinking of going with either the 598 closed back w/added mic paired with a Magni 3, or the Game Zero paired with a Magni 3.

From your descriptions, you like Dolby Headphone over SBX Pro/everything else, correct?

What about the Sennheiser GSX or Razer VSS?

Maybe I get a Sennheiser GSX to pair with my headphones and Magni 3?

Or grab a Modi Multibit, Magni 3, run the Razer VSS for positional audio and either pair of phones?

I’ve heard the 598s are great for VSS and positional audio...how do the Game Zero compare? 598 little light on bass? Game Zeros?

Any help is appreciated!

May 22, 2018 at 1:41 AM Post #40,245 of 48,561
Well....the rabbit hole has lead me to you all.

Here’s how I got here. I put together a new PC, abd selected a SoundBlaster AE-5.

My rig wont recognize it in cold boots, ONLY on the subsequent reboot. Super annoying. No word from Creative Support so far. Blah. I might have it for sale shortly.

So in my quest for a solution, I stumbled across someone asking me why I wanted an internal sound card anyway, that an external DAC and Amp was the way to go.

For the next few hours I researched Schiit, Fiio, Sennheiser GSX, CMSS-3D, Dolby Headphone, etc. etc.

I know a few things for sure:

1. I like positional audio in games.
2. I like/need closed back headphones.

With that in mind, for equipment I’m thinking of going with either the 598 closed back w/added mic paired with a Magni 3, or the Game Zero paired with a Magni 3.

From your descriptions, you like Dolby Headphone over SBX Pro/everything else, correct?

What about the Sennheiser GSX or Razer VSS?

Maybe I get a Sennheiser GSX to pair with my headphones and Magni 3?

Or grab a Modi Multibit, Magni 3, run the Razer VSS for positional audio and either pair of phones?

I’ve heard the 598s are great for VSS and positional audio...how do the Game Zero compare? 598 little light on bass? Game Zeros?

Any help is appreciated!
To get help with the soundblaster card you should go to special hardware forums. Tell them your complete hardware and software configuration and you will receive many advises. Else go get the GSX and a Sennheiser Game One connect and set it up as the manual says and you have all you need.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back