Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Nov 21, 2015 at 11:41 AM Post #33,001 of 48,562
I emailed creative and got an answer which agrees with what someone else said earlier in the thread, sorry cant remember who! Creative said that they are releasing before Xmas in the UK. Clearly this is not a guarantee and unless they have somehow fixed the issue with windows only recognising this as a stereo only device and many games rely on the surround setting being enabled in windows I certainly will be staying away from the G5. :mad:

I said the timeline was looking like the X7, so release probably at the end of November/first half of December. They tend not to peg down a release date.

I think you missed the whole point of the difference between the G5 and E5. The E5 cannot decode Dolby... The G5 is supposed to connect to a game console's optical output and decode at least Dolby.

Nov 21, 2015 at 12:47 PM Post #33,003 of 48,562
I said the timeline was looking like the X7, so release probably at the end of November/first half of December. They tend not to peg down a release date.

Gosh, I just keep waiting and waiting for the G5 (since the MixAmp is too weak to power my K7XX without extra amping) but I'm going to be so let down if I find out I can't even daisy chain the G5. I feel like I might just be wasting time...

Nov 21, 2015 at 1:08 PM Post #33,004 of 48,562
Hello guys!

So I was about to get the HD 650s for gaming pretty much exclusively ( since I can get them for 8 payments of $37 dollars instead of one payment without fees) but reading this it seems that is not the best choice for me.
I do listen to music but at work and in bed so I cannot use an open headphone for that.
So...if the HD 650s are out of the race...is the HD 600 a better option or should I go back to my original plan of the Superlux 668B, Fidelio X1 or the one that was at the top of my list recently, the SHP9500 ?
I always wanted the 650s but perhaps for my needs and for the money, it will be a bit of a waste just for gaming.
What you guys think?

Nov 21, 2015 at 1:22 PM Post #33,005 of 48,562
Hello guys!

So I was about to get the HD 650s for gaming pretty much exclusively ( since I can get them for 8 payments of $37 dollars instead of one payment without fees) but reading this it seems that is not the best choice for me.
I do listen to music but at work and in bed so I cannot use an open headphone for that.
So...if the HD 650s are out of the race...is the HD 600 a better option or should I go back to my original plan of the Superlux 668B, Fidelio X1 or the one that was at the top of my list recently, the SHP9500 ?
I always wanted the 650s but perhaps for my needs and for the money, it will be a bit of a waste just for gaming.
What you guys think?
though I have not personally heard the hd600's, I hear their sound stage is non existent. I'd personally like the hd650 though it had it set of issues. I am actually planning on repurchasing them again soon. I have a huge review in this thread of you like to look up my name as it might give you some better clarity.

Nov 21, 2015 at 9:38 PM Post #33,006 of 48,562
The HD650 is an amazing headphone, it's just not the best for gaming due to it's quite warm sound signature which hampers the soundstage quite a bit, and we all know that soundstage is a necessity for a great gaming experience.

So Stillhart, being the good friend he is, sent me a Noble Audio BTS, which you can get HERE.

It's a very small wireless bluetooth receiver that you can basically clip on, and transforms all your IEMs to wireless.

You guys know I'm not an IEM guy, but I wanted to try it out with the Koss clip ons. The Koss KSC35 can actually go louder with the Noble than just out of my Nexus 6. I'll probably have to do a small writeup for the guide. It sounds very good and loud, and I don't hear any artifacts or anything. Not as clean as wired, but I'd say it's still very, very good. I'm impressed.

The Ultrasone HS-15G which is a quite hard to drive due to low volume being an issue with it, needs to be maxed out as I expected but I'd say the volume gets moderately loud, so I would still use it with the Noble with the 15G for TV shows, which is surprising. Definitely starved for power though, it sucked out the bass big time, and the 15G isn't a slouch in bass, lol. That being said, I'm betting that the Noble BTS wouldn't be limited to just IEMs, and some super sensitive over ears would sound good with it, like perhaps the Beyer COP. I definitely recommend warm headphones, since cold/bright ones may lose some meatiness through wireless.

It's $99, and honestly, just for the fact that it works with the Koss KSC35/Sportapro, I would have no issues with spending that to cut the cord between my phone/laptop and my headphones. I can tuck in the cable and Noble BTW behind my shirt/over my undershirt, and not have to worry about snags and stuff.

I hope it works with my incoming Senn PMX95.

This defeats the purpose of the Sennheiser MM100 I just got, so I'm gonna have to eat up a restocking fee. The MM100 didn't sound all too good, with the problem again of the drivers not pressing against my ears strong enough and losing so much SQ because of it. I fear the PMX95 is gonna have the same issue. I need a clampy behind the neck headphone that isn't gonna sound thin due to driver distance.

Nov 21, 2015 at 9:52 PM Post #33,007 of 48,562
The HD650 is an amazing headphone, it's just not the best for gaming due to it's quite warm sound signature which hampers the soundstage quite a bit, and we all know that soundstage is a necessity for a great gaming experience.

I have read that there is an older version that was warmer and the newer which is not. Is that accurate or even the newer one is still too warm?
I guess based on your comment that the SHP9500 or Fidelio X1 will be a better option for me or even a Superlux 668B and save a lot of money in the process. :D

Nov 21, 2015 at 10:22 PM Post #33,008 of 48,562
The newer one is still on the warm side compared to the HD600. The HD600 is known to not be great for gaming either. They both lack soundstage.

Nov 21, 2015 at 10:27 PM Post #33,009 of 48,562
The newer one is still on the warm side compared to the HD600. The HD600 is known to not be great for gaming either. They both lack soundstage.

That does it for both of them from my list then.
Thanks for this thread...is a fantastic resource! :)
BTW, I know its a personal preference but out of curiosity., which is one is your favorite at the Fidelio X1 price range (well $150) and lower for gaming?

Nov 22, 2015 at 1:30 PM Post #33,010 of 48,562
Gosh, I just keep waiting and waiting for the G5 (since the MixAmp is too weak to power my K7XX without extra amping) but I'm going to be so let down if I find out I can't even daisy chain the G5. I feel like I might just be wasting time...

I still doubt that the G5 will have that LAN niche feature built-in. I could be wrong. But still, you could future-proof your setup with a sound board or mixer that lets you take multiple inputs and outputs, sound clearer too. But Creative could surprise us.

Hello guys!

What you guys think?

I got to hear the HD600 and HD650 again at a local store, plugged into my own DAC+amp and also Sennheiser's HDVD-800. It is a good headphone, coming from something entry-level the HD6xx are impressive, and many people over time considered it endgame. For me though, I've heard more impressive headphones. It's a bit grainy and not as clear as other choices (almost lends a vinyl sound to music, so it's forgiving but not true to the original performance), and that hurts it's ability to separately hear different sounds and project a sound to seem like it's coming from outside your head. The pads are nicely shaped and velour, but they're just foam... AKG memory foam and other newer pads seem like they'd last longer before becoming itchy or disintegrating.

They're very good for music, and probably enjoyable, but their strengths don't play to gaming unless you're just looking for a sound signature that isn't fatiguing. I'd look at a Fostex T50RP mk3, AKG K612 (better with a good amp!), K7XX, AD700x or AD900x, or maybe a Phillips SPH9500 (haven't heard this one).

Nov 22, 2015 at 2:26 PM Post #33,011 of 48,562
I still doubt that the G5 will have that LAN niche feature built-in. I could be wrong. But still, you could future-proof your setup with a sound board or mixer that lets you take multiple inputs and outputs, sound clearer too. But Creative could surprise us.
I got to hear the HD600 and HD650 again at a local store, plugged into my own DAC+amp and also Sennheiser's HDVD-800. It is a good headphone, coming from something entry-level the HD6xx are impressive, and many people over time considered it endgame. For me though, I've heard more impressive headphones. It's a bit grainy and not as clear as other choices (almost lends a vinyl sound to music, so it's forgiving but not true to the original performance), and that hurts it's ability to separately hear different sounds and project a sound to seem like it's coming from outside your head. The pads are nicely shaped and velour, but they're just foam... AKG memory foam and other newer pads seem like they'd last longer before becoming itchy or disintegrating.

They're very good for music, and probably enjoyable, but their strengths don't play to gaming unless you're just looking for a sound signature that isn't fatiguing. I'd look at a Fostex T50RP mk3, AKG K612 (better with a good amp!), K7XX, AD700x or AD900x, or maybe a Phillips SPH9500 (haven't heard this one).

I have decided to go with the SHP9500 then thanks to the help I got here.  I was going to get the superlux 668B but looks like the 9500 is a step above so why not? :)

Nov 22, 2015 at 4:40 PM Post #33,012 of 48,562
Fiio E12, Cayin C5 - both mobile, small, powerful and sound awesome.

I have looked into the E12 a little bit and it really seems to be a viable option based on user reviews. Now, the question I keep asking myself is if the E12 is in fact a good piece of equipment to upgrade my current setup. Would this be a good upgrade from the Fiio E6 that I use roght now with my Yamaha AVR and my mobile devices? Or would something else be a better choice?

With all the different options out there (amps, dacs, stuff like creative x7 etc) I find it kind of hard to figure out wha's the way to go in terms of improving audio quality.

Nov 22, 2015 at 5:14 PM Post #33,013 of 48,562
I have looked into the E12 a little bit and it really seems to be a viable option based on user reviews. Now, the question I keep asking myself is if the E12 is in fact a good piece of equipment to upgrade my current setup. Would this be a good upgrade from the Fiio E6 that I use roght now with my Yamaha AVR and my mobile devices? Or would something else be a better choice?

With all the different options out there (amps, dacs, stuff like creative x7 etc) I find it kind of hard to figure out wha's the way to go in terms of improving audio quality.

I was exactly where you were two years ago, and I'm just now able to articulate what I like, what I don't like, and how to get the best bang for my audio dollar. This is a long process. Honestly, the short answer is, for console gaming, just get an X7. The answer may be the same for pc gaming, but I have no experience there.

Regarding the improvement of sound quality in general, that's a big question, dependent on a host variables, including personal preference, type of use, and as always in tech, budget.

We can point you in the right direction for your audio vision quest, but we wouldn't want to derail this thread.

Nov 22, 2015 at 5:24 PM Post #33,014 of 48,562

For listening to music I really think a good starting point would be the cayin c5dac. Amp and dac, otg USB for your phone and computer, excellent sound quality. Sq for gaming imo not as important as dsp. E12 would be a noticeable improvement to your current setup but would still rely on you computer and phone dac.

Nov 22, 2015 at 5:50 PM Post #33,015 of 48,562
I was exactly where you were two years ago, and I'm just now able to articulate what I like, what I don't like, and how to get the best bang for my audio dollar. This is a long process. Honestly, the short answer is, for console gaming, just get an X7. The answer may be the same for pc gaming, but I have no experience there.

Regarding the improvement of sound quality in general, that's a big question, dependent on a host variables, including personal preference, type of use, and as always in tech, budget.

We can point you in the right direction for your audio vision quest, but we wouldn't want to derail this thread.

I am using it for the 3 things:
1. TV (digital cable, PS4 Blu Ray, Apple TV) - 60 %
2. gaming (PS4) - 30 %
3. music - 10 %, since I mainly listen to music on the go, not at home.

And I should also mention that I already have an Astro Mixamp pro hooked up to my PS4, which I really like. Now, I assume the X7 would be an upgrade in comparison, right?

I wouldn´t mind spending a little bit more on an X7 at all IF it serves all my needs and is the best option going forward. However with my many different sources (at least cable, PS4, Apple TV) and the X7 not having an HDMI port I am not really sure if the X7 is the right way to go for me?!?!
But maybe someone can answer that and paint a clearer picture of what the X7 can and can not do and should be used for and what not.

Sorry for the noob questions and thanks for any help in advance. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back