Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jan 28, 2011 at 11:40 AM Post #271 of 48,562

Quote:
Well I seem to have made a blunder. I've apparently been using my motherboard's onboard sound the entire time, which doesn't have an option for Dolby Headphone but rather 'DTS Surround Sensation UltraPC', which gives a very crude effect compared to the Dolby Headphone plugin I occasionally use in foobar. While I do not like Dolby Headphone for music, I cannot comment regarding its use for PC gaming. I feel very silly now. My Xonar DX is currently unusable due to terrible C-Media drivers being terrible.

Heh... glad you figured out what was happening :)

Jan 28, 2011 at 12:26 PM Post #272 of 48,562

Quote:
Quote:
Well I seem to have made a blunder. I've apparently been using my motherboard's onboard sound the entire time, which doesn't have an option for Dolby Headphone but rather 'DTS Surround Sensation UltraPC', which gives a very crude effect compared to the Dolby Headphone plugin I occasionally use in foobar. While I do not like Dolby Headphone for music, I cannot comment regarding its use for PC gaming. I feel very silly now. My Xonar DX is currently unusable due to terrible C-Media drivers being terrible.

I don't think I've ever seen anyone recommend DH for music. This thread is about DH's application and effectiveness in gaming and I envisioned a scenario like this when you came into this thread arguing against its merits. Kudos for owning up to it though, maybe you'll refrain from posting on something you have little knowledge of next time.

DH gives an 'outside the head' soundstage experience that I usually only get from binaural recordings and the like, and I sometimes like it when listening to orchestral pieces. I don't have any 5.1 music to try with it; I imagine it would work better with 5.1 signals rather than stereo.

Chinesekiwi: Thanks, I'll give those a whirl.

Jan 28, 2011 at 12:43 PM Post #273 of 48,562
I've read 3 different reviews on the upcoming PX5 and every one of them says it's for the PS3 and Xbox360. Note a word about it being compatible with the PC. Not saying it won't work with the PC, just didn't see any confirmation that it would. Plus it's wireless...I don't know how a wireless headset, at this present time, can be the "new king-of-the-hill" in gaming headsets. Never know though. Maybe I'm just trying to justify my PC 360 purchase to myself.
redface.gif

Quote:

@igotnojob The PX5 looks interesting but using on a PC it would have to be seriously good to outshine the top wired setups in the same or even cheaper price range saying that  I'd love to try one on a PC with it being fed from optical out from a Dolby digital live enable sound card.

Quote:
If you can wait until March, the Turtle Beach PX5 will be the new king-of-the-hill in gaming headsets and will give owners an unfair advantage in the sound whoring dept.

Quote:
Hey I need some help making up my mind.  I'm trying to decide between the Tritton AX720 that come with the mix amp, or picking up a pair of Creative Aurvana Live and the Turtle Beach Audio Advantage Amigo II for a usb dac.  I would be using these for pc gaming movies and music.

Jan 28, 2011 at 1:25 PM Post #274 of 48,562

Quote:
obazavil said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

heh... maybe i'm deaf or something... in HQ in BO (ps3 version) i get backstabbed more often I would like with mixamp=k702 :frowning2:

i don't thing the audio settings has anything to do... maybe too much noise? or just plain deaf :p

COD: BO has terrible audio and its ancient looking.  only good thing about that game is how they tweaked the killstreaks a 'lil.  i wish they would have stuck with the MW2 engine.  at least the audio on that had some sort of directional queues and was graphically better yet doesn't tax your CPU like BO does...

Jan 28, 2011 at 3:49 PM Post #275 of 48,562
I am not saying that the PX5 will be superior in overall sound reproduction or quality. Turtle Beach's offerings have always been fair to middling in that respect. You are absolutely right that a good PC rig would probably have the PX5 over a barrel when it comes to SQ. The PX5's killer feature is, of course, the one-touch EQ presets that can instantly switch from accentuating footsteps or reloads or shell casings falling while minimizing other game noises to give gamers the advantage of tactical situational awareness without having to crank the volume to hearing loss levels. The best product would combine the PX5's EQ feature with a standalone processor unit like the Mixamp or DSS so you can use your own headphones.

Quote:
@igotnojob The PX5 looks interesting but using on a PC it would have to be seriously good to outshine the top wired setups in the same or even cheaper price range saying that  I'd love to try one on a PC with it being fed from optical out from a Dolby digital live enable sound card.

Quote:
If you can wait until March, the Turtle Beach PX5 will be the new king-of-the-hill in gaming headsets and will give owners an unfair advantage in the sound whoring dept.

Quote:
Hey I need some help making up my mind.  I'm trying to decide between the Tritton AX720 that come with the mix amp, or picking up a pair of Creative Aurvana Live and the Turtle Beach Audio Advantage Amigo II for a usb dac.  I would be using these for pc gaming movies and music.

Jan 28, 2011 at 3:52 PM Post #276 of 48,562
Yeah, that sounds very enticing. Too bad it's a little to late for me. I'm too happy with my PC360 to care.

Jan 28, 2011 at 3:57 PM Post #277 of 48,562
[size=9pt]Sorry if you have already said this, but what are you gaming on PC, PS3 or Xbox?[/size]

[size=9pt]In the case of Xbox the line out for the headphones handles that mic as well. When using a headset, that is not the Astro A40 or A30, with a built in mic or separate mic, you have to use a Y splitter that comes with the mixamp that you plug the green headphone and pink mic line into.  then there is a line out to the controller as that is where the game chat comes from. So if you use a set of dedicated bad-a phones and a clip on mic you would plug them in like that. Below is a diagram my friend Neks made to help people visualize this set up with all components that would make the best set up. You can remove the amp if you have a 32 ohm set up.[/size]

[size=9pt][/size]
Quote:
Is there a usb mic you can recommend? I think that one you need to have a mixamp for it don't you? I'm just not sure when I'm getting my mixamp so unless you can connect it somehow without the mixamp I'm going to need a usb mic.

Jan 28, 2011 at 3:57 PM Post #278 of 48,562

Quote:

Quote:
obazavil said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

heh... maybe i'm deaf or something... in HQ in BO (ps3 version) i get backstabbed more often I would like with mixamp=k702 :frowning2:

i don't thing the audio settings has anything to do... maybe too much noise? or just plain deaf :p

COD: BO has terrible audio and its ancient looking.  only good thing about that game is how they tweaked the killstreaks a 'lil.  i wish they would have stuck with the MW2 engine.  at least the audio on that had some sort of directional queues and was graphically better yet doesn't tax your CPU like BO does...

This. The audio on Black Ops is pretty bad. Unless you have Ninja Pro, you can kiss relying on footsteps goodbye, and even with Ninja Pro, people can STILL sneak up on you. The footsteps just aren't accentuated enough.

Jan 28, 2011 at 6:46 PM Post #280 of 48,562

Quote:
[size=9pt]Sorry if you have already said this, but what are you gaming on PC, PS3 or Xbox?[/size]

[size=9pt]In the case of Xbox the line out for the headphones handles that mic as well. When using a headset, that is not the Astro A40 or A30, with a built in mic or separate mic, you have to use a Y splitter that comes with the mixamp that you plug the green headphone and pink mic line into.  then there is a line out to the controller as that is where the game chat comes from. So if you use a set of dedicated bad-a phones and a clip on mic you would plug them in like that. Below is a diagram my friend Neks made to help people visualize this set up with all components that would make the best set up. You can remove the amp if you have a 32 ohm set up.[/size]

[size=9pt][/size]
Quote:
Is there a usb mic you can recommend? I think that one you need to have a mixamp for it don't you? I'm just not sure when I'm getting my mixamp so unless you can connect it somehow without the mixamp I'm going to need a usb mic.

Fantastic diagram...did he happen to make one for the PC?

Jan 28, 2011 at 8:46 PM Post #282 of 48,562

Quote:
It would be identical except USB instead of optical... or both if you have them.

Yeah I figured that out as soon as I posted. It was a pretty dumb question on my part. I have a X-Fi XtremeGamer soundcard and I don't believe it has optical out so I think USB will have to do. Unless there is some kind of adapter but then again it probably wouldn't make a difference.

Jan 28, 2011 at 9:27 PM Post #284 of 48,562
There's a controller port next to the headset jack. I don't own a 360, but if I remember correctly I believe the 360 headsets plug into the controller. I'm not sure how this fits into the equation though.

Jan 28, 2011 at 9:29 PM Post #285 of 48,562
To allow voice monitoring through your headphones so you don't feel like a retard when talking and to allow you to control the mix of voice comms vs game audio via the balance dial.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back