Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jan 24, 2011 at 5:39 PM Post #211 of 48,561

Quote:
The DT990 have bass, granted... but is soooooooooooooooooooo beautiful....

Oh yeah. My fave bass out of all the headphones I have ever owned. Hits hard and quick. So unobtrusive. <3

Quote:
The DT990 Premium 250ohm is available for $180 shipped on Amazon and B&H...is this the normal price on those sites or is this a good deal right now?

That's a good deal if I ever saw one. Just be wary of treble... got to constantly remind people, that it has a very energetic treble to say the least. For gaming, I doubt the treble would ever be an issue though.

Jan 24, 2011 at 7:44 PM Post #212 of 48,561
[size=medium]MLE,[/size]

[size=medium]I just read a review of the PC 360's and they had tested them with games, music and movies.  It faired very well in the review and I now would really love to see them up against the Beyerdynamic MMX 300's. Price point is about the same. I got mine for $250 before this past holiday on a short special on Earphone Solutions. The week later they went back up to $300 on the same site.  [/size]

[size=medium]You spoke before about not really using your mic that much as you like to focus on the game itself. I can understand that and the fact that there are a lot of very immature people on xbox live.  I for one have found a very cool web site thats for older gamers of 25 and over only. They cater to everything from PS3, Xbox to PC. Ill send you the link of you want it.  Having the mic built in or even separate is very important for me as I like to play at a competitive level (as much as I can) and communication is key, and I like the  social aspect I get out of live gaming. I have a few friends that run the Astro Mixamp set up with HD650, 555 and the like with a custom mic set up.[/size]

[size=medium]In the end I think these could be the 2 top sets for a total package that could compared out there for gaming.  If I can pic up the PC 360's anytime soon Ill write something up. I think the comparison is a little different when you mix in dedicated audiophile level phones without a mic. Someone earlier in the thread mentioned pricing around why maybe more high end headphone companies do or don't make gaming sets.  I think if gaming is your hobby the $250 - $300 range is good for a set of phones with mic that have a level of performance you would expect from such companies.[/size]

Jan 24, 2011 at 9:00 PM Post #213 of 48,561
I'm 28. XD

Well, to be completely honest with you, I probably play 5% of what I used to play this time last year. Now that I'm single, my habits have changed, and I don't get the feeling to play much anymore. I AM gonna pick up gaming once again probably at the beginning of next month or so, but my competitiveness has somewhat subsided a bit, and now I play mostly for fun when I DO play.

I do, I guess my heart ain't into it that much anymore.

Jan 24, 2011 at 10:02 PM Post #215 of 48,561
just look for reviews on the beyer dt770, the mmx is the dt770 with a good mic.

I have just sold my hd600, so I will buy the pc360. If I like better my sa5000, by the way These ARE AWESOME, I will sell it here for a good price, lol!

Quote:
[size=medium]MLE,[/size]

[size=medium]I just read a review of the PC 360's and they had tested them with games, music and movies.  It faired very well in the review and I now would really love to see them up against the Beyerdynamic MMX 300's. Price point is about the same. I got mine for $250 before this past holiday on a short special on Earphone Solutions. The week later they went back up to $300 on the same site.  [/size]

[size=medium]You spoke before about not really using your mic that much as you like to focus on the game itself. I can understand that and the fact that there are a lot of very immature people on xbox live.  I for one have found a very cool web site thats for older gamers of 25 and over only. They cater to everything from PS3, Xbox to PC. Ill send you the link of you want it.  Having the mic built in or even separate is very important for me as I like to play at a competitive level (as much as I can) and communication is key, and I like the  social aspect I get out of live gaming. I have a few friends that run the Astro Mixamp set up with HD650, 555 and the like with a custom mic set up.[/size]

[size=medium]In the end I think these could be the 2 top sets for a total package that could compared out there for gaming.  If I can pic up the PC 360's anytime soon Ill write something up. I think the comparison is a little different when you mix in dedicated audiophile level phones without a mic. Someone earlier in the thread mentioned pricing around why maybe more high end headphone companies do or don't make gaming sets.  I think if gaming is your hobby the $250 - $300 range is good for a set of phones with mic that have a level of performance you would expect from such companies.[/size]

Jan 24, 2011 at 11:30 PM Post #216 of 48,561

Quote:

I have just sold my hd600, so I will buy the pc360. If I like better my sa5000, by the way These ARE AWESOME, I will sell it here for a good price, lol!

I had read that the MMX 300 were based on the DT770. With that said is there a series of Senns that the PC 360 is based on? I think that would be a good fact to know.

Now that I have entered this new world of head-fi I'm really itching to build a nice set up for my desk at work.  I'm also going to run the Schiit Asgart on my MMX 300's with the Mixamp, I think it will take my gaming sound to the next level.

Jan 24, 2011 at 11:44 PM Post #218 of 48,561
The pc360 is based on hd555/595 series, some say one some the other, but in the end the driver is the same on both models.

Quote:

Quote:

I had read that the MMX 300 were based on the DT770. With that said is there a series of Senns that the PC 360 is based on? I think that would be a good fact to know.

Now that I have entered this new world of head-fi I'm really itching to build a nice set up for my desk at work.  I'm also going to run the Schiit Asgart on my MMX 300's with the Mixamp, I think it will take my gaming sound to the next level.

Jan 25, 2011 at 12:06 AM Post #220 of 48,561
Which version of the Premium DT990 did you use?
The beyerdynamic DT 990 Premium 250 Ohm Headphone version is on sale for $180. Is that a good price?
Also is the mixamp enough for the DT990 when using voice chat also?

Jan 25, 2011 at 12:15 AM Post #221 of 48,561

Quote:
The beyerdynamic DT 990 Premium 250 Ohm Headphone version is on sale for $180. Is that a good price?

He used the 600 amp version.

Jan 25, 2011 at 6:13 AM Post #222 of 48,561

Quote:

No. You will need an extra amp if you plan on voice chatting. The Fiio E5 or E7 will NOT do. Trust me. Needs to be stronger. The E9 has way more than enough. Going by what some of my friends who have owned all three Premium variants of the DT880s, the Mixamp needs about the SAME volume for each of them. I can agree, as my 32ohm DT880 needed as much volume as my DT990 600ohm of the Mixamp.

Jan 25, 2011 at 10:58 AM Post #223 of 48,561
So moded 558 is same as 598 ?   anyone know how to this sound in FPS games ?
as in this review said it is
http://www.headfonia.com/sennheisers-new-hd558-and-hd598/3/

Quoting from this review
Quote:
So how does it sound? Removing the black tape material gives the HD558 the boost in midrange that it didn’t have before. It’s almost similar to the HD598, except that the HD558 now has just a tad more midrange than the HD598. Just a tad more, and it’s probably better in my opinion. The two headphones now sound like they are the same model but offered in different color schemes!

Jan 25, 2011 at 12:59 PM Post #224 of 48,561
The 558 and 598 are just visual refreshes of the 555 and 595 I dont think there is any sonic differences.

Quote:

Quoting from this review
Quote:
So how does it sound? Removing the black tape material gives the HD558 the boost in midrange that it didn’t have before. It’s almost similar to the HD598, except that the HD558 now has just a tad more midrange than the HD598. Just a tad more, and it’s probably better in my opinion. The two headphones now sound like they are the same model but offered in different color schemes!

Jan 25, 2011 at 1:25 PM Post #225 of 48,561
I wish people would stop assuming this without checking reviews first. The HD-555/595 sound nothing like the 598.
There are HUGE differences and i've heard them with my own ears. I've owned the modded 555 for nearly five years.

Just to remind people again..
598 is much brighter than the 555 or 595. It is not laid back or does it have the rolled off highs of the 555 or 595.
It also has a huge improvement of the soundstage. Soundstage of the 555 is rather bad for an open headphone.
The 598 also seems to have very slightly forward mids. Not like say the DJ100, ATH-AD2000 or K601.

I hate to say it but the HD-598 is actually a far better headphone than my old K601. Imaging on the K601 might be a bit better, but it seemed less detailed.
This is actually pretty impressive. It even sounds fine without an amp.

Quote:
The 558 and 598 are just visual refreshes of the 555 and 595 I dont think there is any sonic differences.

Quote:

Quoting from this review
Quote:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back