Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jun 5, 2019 at 7:18 AM Post #42,496 of 48,562
Something like the Fidelio X2? I dunno if that's still around. Oh it is. I'd look into that.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2019 at 12:37 PM Post #42,497 of 48,562
Something like the Fidelio X2? I dunno if that's still around. Oh it is. I'd look into that.

I have been looking into (obsessing) over this for this past week. I sort of narrowed onto the DT 990s(250 ohm). How are those compared to your suggestion of the Fidelio X2 for the music/gaming use I'm interested in? Both of these should work with the Astro mixamp I have too I imagine?

Jun 5, 2019 at 12:59 PM Post #42,498 of 48,562
I have been looking into (obsessing) over this for this past week. I sort of narrowed onto the DT 990s(250 ohm). How are those compared to your suggestion of the Fidelio X2 for the music/gaming use I'm interested in? Both of these should work with the Astro mixamp I have too I imagine?
I can’t listen to the dt990 for more than 5 mins or else I’ll get tinnitus. The treble is just so god damn sharp it physically hurts me. It’s unfortunate because the mids and bass is much cleaner than the X2. And the mixamp can’t drive dt990s.

Jun 5, 2019 at 1:03 PM Post #42,499 of 48,562
Sennheiser GSP 670 Headset releasing soon with built in GSX Engine and Blue Tooth

• low latency wireless 16 hours
  • standard wireless 20 hours
  • 7 min charging time means 2h gaming

63e2afa0c34d746cb1e5fnoj4d.png
I really hate their complex “gamer” headset design.

Jun 5, 2019 at 2:02 PM Post #42,500 of 48,562
I have been looking into (obsessing) over this for this past week. I sort of narrowed onto the DT-990s (250 ohm). How are those compared to your suggestion of the Fidelio X2 for the music/gaming use I'm interested in? Both of these should work with the Astro mix-amp I have too I imagine?
The Astro Mix-amp is just powerful enough to drive 250-Ohm Beyer (DT770/DT880/DT990) headphones somewhat decently.
I would try and talk you into getting the Soundmagic HP200 headphones, over the DT990.

Jun 5, 2019 at 2:05 PM Post #42,501 of 48,562
Any suggestions where to go from here?
Currently have AD700x + Astro Mix-amp 2013. I really like the ability to game and hear my pc at the same time, I have a Blue Yeti mic separate as a mic solution on PS4(I had a bad experience with Modmic).
I game on PS4 and have the mix-amp plugged to a desktop with the optical going into the mix-amp from the PS4. I originally did this setup for competitive fps games like R6. Nowadays I have gone a bit more casual and more into cinematic/story-driven games and more into critical listening of music on my desktop.
I want to upgrade because I feel like mainly I'd want something not bass light(which was great for fps, but a negative for music), something great across the board. They have to be open-back and I'm hoping whatever I end up with is able to be driven by my current mix-amp. Something of a significant bump is what I'm looking for without having to break the bank, right now I'm looking at ~$300 CAD as a budget. I don't know enough about DACs and mix-amps and ultimately don't know whether an upgrade is recommended in order to drive higher end stuff, I'd be open to it and might be willing to raise the budget by saving more.
A thread like this was a nice read but because the many options and not exactly understanding what matters, I'm ultimately lost and indecisive to just pick something on my own. Would appreciate some help.
Soundmagic HP200 open headphones.
Massdrop/Sennheiser HD58X open headphones.

Jun 5, 2019 at 2:50 PM Post #42,503 of 48,562

As long as you understand that the DT990 has some pretty prolific treble, it's a greatheadphone otherwise. Personally I think the X2 is a better headphone and is easier on the Mixamp as well.

I see Philips has updated the X2 with removable pads and whatnot. Definitely a great headphone. Highly recommend it to anyone.

As always, I don't comment on headphones I've never heard, so I can't say anything about other's recommendations, but I'd listen to them as well. My tastes may not be the same as yours.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2019 at 9:06 PM Post #42,504 of 48,562
As long as you understand that the DT990 has some pretty prolific treble, it's a greatheadphone otherwise. Personally I think the X2 is a better headphone and is easier on the Mixamp as well.

I see Philips has updated the X2 with removable pads and whatnot. Definitely a great headphone. Highly recommend it to anyone.

As always, I don't comment on headphones I've never heard, so I can't say anything about other's recommendations, but I'd listen to them as well. My tastes may not be the same as yours.

Is X2 worth it compared to DT 990 if I have to shell out $120+ more? Also I'm confused as to the Astro mixamps ability to drive 250 ohm DT 990, I'm hearing it can and also that it can't based on many sources. I also heard the mixamp would drive better if it's not used for a mic as well(in my case it isn't). If I do go with it(which seems to be the most convincing choice based on price and everything I've looked at altogether), what would be a recommend map/dac to pair with my mixamp to maximize my headphones?

I've looked extensively at DT series (990, 880, 770), AKG K702, AD900x and some others. This is harder than I thought, I'm basically just getting into this sort of thing so the sheer volume of options and concepts to take in is admittedly overwhelming.

Also it's hard to say if I'd have a problem with DT 990 treble, I might just end up appreciating it and adapting.

Jun 6, 2019 at 3:10 AM Post #42,505 of 48,562
you have selected excellent headphones: X2, AKG702, AD700 / 900X, DT990.
No one can tell you which of these 4 headphones is best for you.
You have to try them ... Amazon.ca/.com gives you the chance to try on headphones for a month.
Just keep in mind that the DT990s are difficult to drive and are as special as sound. The AKG 712 Pro are great headphones but if you don't live in the UE they will cost you a lot.
Choose between the AD900 / 700X and X2

Jun 8, 2019 at 4:32 PM Post #42,506 of 48,562

After combing through basically all your reviews as well as others, asking around, reading articles and reviews, I went with your suggestion(I found ones at a more appropriate price). I wasn't too sure I'd be able to like DT 990s and I've been returning stuff at amazon and didn't want to push it. Thanks for your help(as well as everyone else who suggested things), I really hope I do enjoy the X2's.

I'm considering getting the SoundblasterX G6 to replace or pair with my Astro mixamp. I am interested in the idea of "immersive" gaming through surround sound and wanted to see if the SBX would be better than whatever the mixamp has.

Jun 8, 2019 at 6:39 PM Post #42,507 of 48,562
After combing through basically all your reviews as well as others, asking around, reading articles and reviews, I went with your suggestion(I found ones at a more appropriate price). I wasn't too sure I'd be able to like DT 990s and I've been returning stuff at amazon and didn't want to push it. Thanks for your help(as well as everyone else who suggested things), I really hope I do enjoy the X2's.

I'm considering getting the SoundblasterX G6 to replace or pair with my Astro mixamp. I am interested in the idea of "immersive" gaming through surround sound and wanted to see if the SBX would be better than whatever the mixamp has.

The G6 is a much cleaner sounding dac amp, so sound quality will be improved. It's also quite a bit more powerful. X2 will be driven fine by the G6. As for the virtual surround, the G6 implementation is less processed sounding, though Dolby Headphone has a better sense of immersion and surround 'feel', IMHO.

Both are very good, so if you're fine with the Mixamp, you should be fine with the G6.

Jun 8, 2019 at 9:45 PM Post #42,508 of 48,562
edit: I'm an idiot. I've had the Creative Air for a month, and just TODAY noticed there is a Creative Air app on Android. I've been using only the SXFI app. Apparently you need TWO apps to get all the functions working... along with a PC app as well when using the USB mode. Lol. 3 apps...

Anyways, old post below, still relevant to all of you.

Can someone download the SFXI app to their mobile device and tell me if you are able to calibrate your head mapping as well as use Super X-fi through that music player?

I ask because if so, it at least let's you try out SXFI at the very least with whatever music files you have in your mobile device. So long as you create an account and are logged in.

I was confused as to why you need the SXFI amp or SXFI headphones if the app already allows you to use the dsp, but then again, you're limited to just that specific music player, and if you don't have a headphone in their list, you won't get an 'ideal' preset either, but at the very least you can test out how SXFI alters the sound to mimic a really spacious theater. It's worth trying.

Spoiler: it works INCREDIBLY well on the Creative Air particularly when gaming on PC.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2019 at 8:30 AM Post #42,509 of 48,562
I was confused as to why you need the SXFI amp or SXFI headphones if the app already allows you to use the dsp, but then again, you're limited to just that specific music player, and if you don't have a headphone in their list, you won't get an 'ideal' preset either, but at the very least you can test out how SXFI alters the sound to mimic a really spacious theater. It's worth trying.

Spoiler: it works INCREDIBLY well on the Creative Air particularly when gaming on PC.

I'd be interested in a comparison between Audeze Mobius WaveNX, Sennheiser GSX1000 and Creative's new SXFI solution. Is this possible?

Eagerly awaiting your Audeze GX for this reason also ^^

Jun 10, 2019 at 3:50 PM Post #42,510 of 48,562
I'll make a broad comparison in that I'll talk about what makes the SXFI stand iut from the normal virtual surround dsps, but I won't go to in depth as there isn't all that much that separates virtual surround dsps from one another. They all more or less sound like you're transported into a room with a full surround speaker setup.

How effective they are varies, but I will say that SXFI sounds slightly different from those. I'll get around to talk about it in the review.

The review would've been done by now, but the software section of the review went to hell after I introduced the third app, so I went and redid the entire thing yesterday. It wasn't a good day for me. The software section made up about 75% of the review before. It was massive and felt like it took away from what I'm supposed to be doing: reviewing the headset, not the attached programs. Now it's only a small section of the review. Looks better.

Today I'll hopefully be finishing up the sound sections and doing final editing. I think at latest, the Air SXFI review will be coming no later than Wednesday, depending on how I progress today and tomorrow.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back