Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Aug 29, 2018 at 2:15 PM Post #40,906 of 48,561
Why? GSX is a nice VSS but it's packaged into a low-fi limpy device. Yes, the UI and operation are well made but that's all.
I'd pick one for 49€ and use it with a PC37X, not more. I'd rather get SBX from HeSuVi, a SBZ and go full force (optical out) into a nice Modi stack and rout the mic cable from your onboard audio or anything else to the mic connector of your headset.

It's funny you say that. I think the GSX1000 is my fave sounding gaming amp of ALL gaming amps. I like the sound off it even more than the X7. If Sennheiser made one with a line out/optical out like the G6/X7, I'd go straight for that. It just sucks that it's so limited.

Aug 29, 2018 at 2:22 PM Post #40,907 of 48,561
It's funny you say that. I think the GSX1000 is my fave sounding gaming amp of ALL gaming amps. I like the sound off it even more than the X7. If Sennheiser made one with a line out/optical out like the G6/X7, I'd go straight for that. It just sucks that it's so limited.

Ditto, I like it just as much. I'm happy with the analog out connected to my HDVA600 though.

Aug 29, 2018 at 4:04 PM Post #40,911 of 48,561
Thanks. I'm using 660s and I feel that the GSX's amp is not enough to drive them how they are supposed to sound. Wanted to add a Magni 3 or O2 to see if it improves the sound quality, separation, imaging, etc.

I find it to be still ok with the 660S but not great, it gets a lot better from my amp.
I wouldn't advise the Magni 3 though, I had that amp and it's nice for it's price but that says it all.
Don't know the O2.

Aug 29, 2018 at 8:08 PM Post #40,913 of 48,561
I did a frequency sweep on a virtual channel from dolby headphone from my xonar card and the one from hesuvi, and they were exactly the same, and hesuvi appeared to be lower latency, with ostensibly higher cpu usage since it is cpu based. I'm not sure how the convolution process works, so maybe the snr isn't as good as the real deal, but for gaming purposes, I think hesuvi is fine. The windows sonic and dolby atmos for headphones in hesuvi are, imo, actually more useful than the real ones due to weird windows quirks.

I always thought the biggest hurdle to headphone virtual surround sound becoming more mainstream was lowered cost. But even post-hesuvi, people are still generally choosing to use stereo in games due to misguided beliefs. Gotta spread the word!

Aug 30, 2018 at 4:00 AM Post #40,914 of 48,561
I agree. Most usable are SBX 100, a few CMSS variants for a touch of Beyer sound and DHT/DHP. GSX is not the real deal and while some others are interesting they require tweaking aka wasting your time. Just fire up one of these and you are really good to go.

I actually like the Dolby Access plugin for Atmos movies. Multiplying everything with the Burrito Filter and you are in for a nice treat.

Aug 30, 2018 at 9:02 AM Post #40,915 of 48,561
I definitely prefer the surround sound implementation of the GSX 1000, it is a lot more natural sounding than SBX Pro. I did recently try some software available on Steam called Spartial Sound Card and saying it performs very similarly to SBX Pro is I guess faint praise but it is also a nice simple solution that works simply and cheaply. Hesuvi has all sorts of issues to setup and run so I do find it a more straight forward solution. Doesn't compete with the GSX 1000, nothing I know of does yet.

Aug 30, 2018 at 9:25 AM Post #40,916 of 48,561
I agree. Most usable are SBX 100, a few CMSS variants for a touch of Beyer sound and DHT/DHP. GSX is not the real deal and while some others are interesting they require tweaking aka wasting your time. Just fire up one of these and you are really good to go.

The older builds of hesuvi had mistakenly left on one of the EQ settings on the gsx. Do you find issues with the newer builds still?

Aug 30, 2018 at 10:53 AM Post #40,917 of 48,561
I definitely prefer the surround sound implementation of the GSX 1000, it is a lot more natural sounding than SBX Pro. I did recently try some software available on Steam called Spartial Sound Card and saying it performs very similarly to SBX Pro is I guess faint praise but it is also a nice simple solution that works simply and cheaply. Hesuvi has all sorts of issues to setup and run so I do find it a more straight forward solution. Doesn't compete with the GSX 1000, nothing I know of does yet.
SBX to me sounds the most natural. GSX with the reverb turned off (no + signs) still has way to much reverb. But I seem to be in the minority here.

Aug 30, 2018 at 11:09 AM Post #40,919 of 48,561
I got mine yesterday and had a fun 3 hours rewiring my whole computer/Xbox area where I put it, to get rid of a whole bunch of extraneous audio stuff I don't need anymore. I can't speak to it's amp quality as I am running an iFi Black Label out of it. I will say that its EQ software is pretty nice vs the X7, there is a fun "pencil" feature where you literally draw the EQ you want and it does it. I switched from my ESP950 to my LCD2C so initial sound impressions wouldn't be accurate given these two cans sound super different. And I would like to see MLE's impression/review before I say anything more.

I wish Creative products didn't all have their own software though, why can't they all just use the same program? I am a heavy EQ user and have presets for all my cans and I always have to do it all over again for all their products.

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2018 at 12:14 PM Post #40,920 of 48,561
I haven't had a real sit down to test the Sonic qualities but I THINK it's on the lean/bright side in terms of balance.

I didn't change the phase roll off or whatnot from it's default, so that may make a difference.

That's why I still like the GSX1000 the most. It has a really natural timbre.

The G6 should pair up best with warm headphones.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back