Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
May 17, 2018 at 3:37 AM Post #40,202 of 48,560
That price hurts my soul.

I think they really screwed up. They just priced themselves out of most people's budgets. They were already God level pricing before.

It's not that it isn't an amazing product. But bringing in the old (dealer) pricing scheme won't work. Unless they are shifting gears due to lack of sales so far. That would be a mistake on their part. Many people have to save a while to purchase something like this. Schiit has probably sold a lot more Yggys than we think (same price as the A16 was before the hike).

I'm glad I got in, but this really sucks for everyone who didn't.

May 17, 2018 at 3:43 AM Post #40,203 of 48,560
I think they really screwed up. They just priced themselves out of most people's budgets. They were already God level pricing before.

It's not that it isn't an amazing product. But bringing in the old (dealer) pricing scheme won't work. Unless they are shifting gears due to lack of sales so far. That would be a mistake on their part. Many people have to save a while to purchase something like this. Schiit has probably sold a lot more Yggys than we think (same price as the A16 was before the hike).

I'm glad I got in, but this really sucks for everyone who didn't.

Indeed. I got in as well and was planning to buy a second one for the living room after testing my first one, even at the previous full price.
But with the new 100% extra price I’ll just forget about it. I’m not putting over 2k in the pockets of a distributor that ‘d like to get rich quickly.
There probably won’t be much sales anymore after the kickstarter/preorder ones and similar devices/solutions are already on the horizon.

May 17, 2018 at 3:48 AM Post #40,204 of 48,560
"It's dead, Jim"

Well, at least to me. With that price they can forget a lot of customers. Should have gotten in when it was kickstarting, yes, but I'm not mad about it now that they think such a price is ok to them.

May 17, 2018 at 4:09 AM Post #40,205 of 48,560
Other options are coming. They might not be as good, but will most people care when they're saving over $3000, and probably most of the money. In reality.

Maybe they will release a simpler model with cut down features that aren't needed to get the entire experience. Cut the amps, DAC, whatever can be off loaded to something people already own. That makes way to much sense, don't get your hopes up, lol. Initially that's how I was going to use mine. Half the thing I'm buying I'm not even using, just the processor and then sending it to another DAC and amp for playback.

Smyth may be a great sound engineer, but he's messing this up. A ton has changed since the A8 released.

May 17, 2018 at 4:42 AM Post #40,206 of 48,560
Well I hope no one was tossing around the idea of grabbing a Smyth Research Realizer A16 at $2300. It is now $4000, as they have teamed up with a dealer to distribute the A16.
It was prohibitely expensive when it cost 1.5k. Now it's absurd.

May 17, 2018 at 3:40 PM Post #40,207 of 48,560
I chewed off all my fingernails when I bought in at the presale price of $1800 something. $4k is definitely rarefied air territory. Happy I'm getting one but sad this will never be a very popular product.

Cheaper "almost-as-good" products currently in the pipeline are going to eat their lunch, I imagine, unless they make some serious cost cutting steps if/when they offer these for retail purchase.

May 17, 2018 at 4:28 PM Post #40,209 of 48,560
Schiit Vali 2 is pretty solid for the hd800’s... when I had the Vali 2 and Mimby a while back I was really surprised how well it sounded.
Anyone on a budget should strongly consider these.

Edit: also 4K for the Smyth... that’s absolutely hilarious. Guess he’s going with produce fewer and sell for a higher cost. Kudos to those who got in early.

Last edited:
May 17, 2018 at 5:31 PM Post #40,210 of 48,560
I chewed off all my fingernails when I bought in at the presale price of $1800 something. $4k is definitely rarefied air territory. Happy I'm getting one but sad this will never be a very popular product.

Cheaper "almost-as-good" products currently in the pipeline are going to eat their lunch, I imagine, unless they make some serious cost cutting steps if/when they offer these for retail purchase.

Same as you I had to really think about whether I wanted to put $1800 down on a presale product. I never could have justified $4000, it was hard enough to justify the preorder price. I did it because I finally wanted to end the chase for surround through headphones and gaming is a big part of that. It’s clear with the price increase that they aren’t targeting everyday consumers, they must be gearing towards the professional market.

May 18, 2018 at 12:10 PM Post #40,212 of 48,560
Hi guys!

I'm new to the audio world. I would like to change my old Tritton Ax 720 with a new good pair of headphone + mic for around 150€

After a bit of research i found what i think could be a nice pair of headphone + mic

HD 559 with the Foam Mod + V Boom Pro Microphone

But i have some question:

For like 15€ more i can get myself a Samson METEOR MIC instead of a V Boom Pro Microphone, is that better than V Boom Microphone?

Which one of those 2 is better for not taking too much key sound? I have a blue switch keyboard, and i don't want to make too much noise with the keys.

Will they take game audio 'cause HD559 are open back?

Thanks,
Davide!

May 18, 2018 at 1:37 PM Post #40,213 of 48,560
My first step from Trittons was an HD598 and Modmic - best move I ever did.

I don't think the VModa mic will plug into the Sennheisers without mods or adapters, whereas the modmic's are a separate unit.

May 18, 2018 at 1:50 PM Post #40,214 of 48,560
Well, the ModMic is around 70€, it was a bit too high compared to the price of the Samson METEOR MIC or the Vmoda Boom, so i should think about it a bit.
Another question: i will buy an hd559 like i said before, change the cable provided with this one (https://www.amazon.it/aggiornamento...526665772&sr=1-1&keywords=hd558+upgrade+cable) will be really upgrade the sound quality instead of the normal cable with an adapter to 3.5mm?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back