Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jan 31, 2018 at 10:52 AM Post #39,646 of 48,561
Still paying 5+ times the price for budget level hardware isn't exactly sensible.
While you can get Sound BlasterX AE-5 with pretty much absolute top level D/A-converter and high end headphone output (+ lots of other connectivity) for clearly less than GSX.
And for less work in installation (or no space inside case) Sound BlasterX G5 would be pretty comparable to AE-5 at same price.

Realiser's BoM certainly wouldn't look "nice" for buyer.
Lets hope that in some day there's measurement standard for personal HRTF, which you could get measured in say shop and could then use that measurement result for adjusting devices and sound cards.

SB is coming with a Realiser like product as well. I wonder how it will compare.
Will take a look at that G5, thanks.

Jan 31, 2018 at 11:05 AM Post #39,647 of 48,561

Am tipping BoM for anyone reading this forum vs what they are using would not look nice.

Lets hope that in some day there's measurement standard for personal HRTF, which you could get measured............

blah, blah, blah - cure for cancer, world peace, equality, clean drinking water and hrtf for all.

Jan 31, 2018 at 11:11 AM Post #39,648 of 48,561
Still paying 5+ times the price for budget level hardware isn't exactly sensible.
While you can get Sound BlasterX AE-5 with pretty much absolute top level D/A-converter and high end headphone output (+ lots of other connectivity) for clearly less than GSX.
And for less work in installation (or no space inside case) Sound BlasterX G5 would be pretty comparable to AE-5 at same price.

Lets hope that in some day there's measurement standard for personal HRTF, which you could get measured in say shop and could then use that measurement result for adjusting devices and sound cards.

I took a look at the G5.
- weird that this one works with a console and the Senn doesn't?
- the G5 seems to need software while the Senn doesn't? No simple plug in and use for the G5? I thought that was the case for the Senn.
- how can the G5 work on a console when it needs software? An app running on the console?

Jan 31, 2018 at 11:25 AM Post #39,649 of 48,561
When I tick the hdmi/ optical option in Dolby Atmos for headphones, I understand the signal gets mixed by the box and send via hdmi/ optical.

As this is technically still a stereo signal, the tv should just pass it through without having any issues right?

Also, what are recommended sound options in games when I have the choice of stereo or surround?

Is the box downmixing/ upmixing to Dolby Atmos for headphones according to choice of sound?
Dolby Atmos for Headphones is binaural sound simulation.
So it gives two channel output signal which should be passed on as standard PCM without any processing.

For binaural simulation to work it needs surround/5.1 sound as input.
If game outputs only 2.0/stereo mix it has only left-right information.

If Xbone games commonly have own sound options with speaker set up etc then that's better than most Windows games...

Jan 31, 2018 at 11:29 AM Post #39,650 of 48,561
SB is coming with a Realiser like product as well. I wonder how it will compare.
Will take a look at that G5, thanks.
Creative's algorithms (like those of Dolby and others) use some averaged/standard HRTF.
This post has links to some recordings you can use.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/mad...game-one-added.534479/page-2643#post-14011047
Can't say for certain if latest cards use fully same algorithm as SB Z-serie.
People keep using using too much of those Crystalizer etc settings to mess things.

I took a look at the G5.
- weird that this one works with a console and the Senn doesn't?
- the G5 seems to need software while the Senn doesn't? No simple plug in and use for the G5? I thought that was the case for the Senn.
- how can the G5 work on a console when it needs software? An app running on the console?
G5 likely has some defaults for its DSP without software.
But it doesn't support Dolby Digital/DTS decoding like expensive Sound Blaster X7 so can't be used for doing binaural-simulation from such source:
http://forums.creative.com/showthread.php?t=741493&p=609906&viewfull=1#post609906

Though looks like it can work also as headphone amp using analog input so could be used to "buffer" headphone's if console's own headphone output isn't enough.
Even feeding the ODAC into the G5’s line-in, and using it purely as an amp, sounds the same as if I was using the O2, minus the analog volume control.
https://techgage.com/article/creative-sound-blasterx-g5-external-soundcard-headphone-amp-review/

Jan 31, 2018 at 2:43 PM Post #39,652 of 48,561
So I ordered the Turtle Beach DSS2 ($20) and the Astro Mixamp 2013 ($50) while I wait for the Smyth A16 to get finished and shipped.
My sources are listed below. I plan to use the optical output from each to feed to each. (Im ok manually switching back and forth)
I will be using the USB to my laptop to do any custom configuration. Output from DSS2 and Mixamp..Im using the headphone out to my amp and then out to AKG 712 headphones.

Is it correct to assume that neither DSS2 nor the Mixamp does decoding internally?
On the DirectTV receiver, it just has the option to turn Dolby Digital ON or OFF. If I have it ON, I assume its sending the already decoded surround to the DSS2 and Mixamp, right?
On the F7500, I should set the output to PCM, Bitstream (Unprocessed..reciever decodes), Bitstream (reencoded to DTS), or Bitstream (reencoded to Dolby Digital)?
Toshiba XA-2 HD DVD Player.. Digital Out SPDIF to PCM or Bitstream?

Let me know your thoughts

Jan 31, 2018 at 3:18 PM Post #39,653 of 48,561
So I ordered the Turtle Beach DSS2 ($20) and the Astro Mixamp 2013 ($50) while I wait for the Smyth A16 to get finished and shipped.
My sources are listed below. I plan to use the optical output from each to feed to each. (Im ok manually switching back and forth)
I will be using the USB to my laptop to do any custom configuration. Output from DSS2 and Mixamp..Im using the headphone out to my amp and then out to AKG 712 headphones.

Is it correct to assume that neither DSS2 nor the Mixamp does decoding internally?
On the DirectTV receiver, it just has the option to turn Dolby Digital ON or OFF. If I have it ON, I assume its sending the already decoded surround to the DSS2 and Mixamp, right?
On the F7500, I should set the output to PCM, Bitstream (Unprocessed..reciever decodes), Bitstream (reencoded to DTS), or Bitstream (reencoded to Dolby Digital)?
Let me know your thoughts

S/PDIF (optical or coaxial) can pass 2-channels of PCM digital audio or up to 6 channels of encoded/Bitstream digital audio.
Encoded audio (thru optical/coaxial) is limited to 24-bit/48k, PCM (thru optical/coaxial) can be up to 24-bit/96K or 24-bit/192K

The DSS2 and Mix-amp do process headphone surround sound internally
The DSS2/Mix-amp take in an encoded/bitstream signal, will de-coded the signal into separate audio streams (separate PCM signals), before processing the signal into headphone surround sound..

I would set the Toshiba to Bitstream/Dolby Digital, when sending audio to the DSS2/Mix-amp (thru optical), for headphone surround sound.

Jan 31, 2018 at 3:49 PM Post #39,654 of 48,561
S/PDIF (optical or coaxial) can pass 2-channels of PCM digital audio or up to 6 channels of encoded/Bitstream digital audio.
Encoded audio (thru optical/coaxial) is limited to 24-bit/48k, PCM (thru optical/coaxial) can be up to 24-bit/96K or 24-bit/192K

The DSS2 and Mix-amp do process headphone surround sound internally
The DSS2/Mix-amp take in an encoded/bitstream signal, will de-coded the signal into separate audio streams (separate PCM signals), before processing the signal into headphone surround sound..

I would set the Toshiba to Bitstream/Dolby Digital, when sending audio to the DSS2/Mix-amp (thru optical), for headphone surround sound.

Im confused. The Toshiba doesnt have a Bitstream/Dolby Digital option. Only PCM or Bitstream.
So I assume you are saying I should set all devices below to Bitstream?

Jan 31, 2018 at 3:53 PM Post #39,655 of 48,561
I downloaded the sound samples from Youtube but what exactly is their purpose? Not listening with a stereo amp I guess?
They should be listened exactly in stereo without any kind effect processings to avoid messing spatial cues.
(neutral amplifier is harmless)

Jan 31, 2018 at 7:09 PM Post #39,657 of 48,561
Im confused. The Toshiba doesnt have a Bitstream/Dolby Digital option. Only PCM or Bitstream.
So I assume you are saying I should set all devices below to Bitstream?
So, with the Toshiba, use Bitstream, if you want more then 2.0 channels of (PCM) audio (Bitstream will carry up to 5.1 audio).
With the Direct TV, if you want to send more then 2.0 channel of audio, thru the optical, then set Dolby Digital to ON.
If set the Direct TV to Dolby Digital OFF, then only 2.0 channels (stereo audio), with pass thru optical.

Jan 31, 2018 at 8:01 PM Post #39,658 of 48,561
So, with the Toshiba, use Bitstream, if you want more then 2.0 channels of (PCM) audio (Bitstream will carry up to 5.1 audio).
With the Direct TV, if you want to send more then 2.0 channel of audio, thru the optical, then set Dolby Digital to ON.
If set the Direct TV to Dolby Digital OFF, then only 2.0 channels (stereo audio), with pass thru optical.
Thank you!

Feb 3, 2018 at 6:21 PM Post #39,660 of 48,561
I have the Sennheiser HD650's but wondering if i should just keep them for music and invest in Sennheiser GSP 350 which comes with virtual surround software. I guess its the same as the one used in GSX 1000? What you guys think? Would i sacrifice alot of sound quality by dropping the HD650's?
It just seem to be the easiest way to get a good set of headphones with Sennheisers good surround software.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back