Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jan 19, 2018 at 11:06 PM Post #39,601 of 48,562
Maybe people with SLI + multi-monitor setups can answer this? I remember reading once that a single card with 2x HDMI ports cannot split the audio and video between the two different HDMI ports. Unsure if that inability extends to dual cards.
That would probably be the case with two cards as well but it doesn't really matter, both outputs put out audio and video so you can put them in to an audio or video device.
It's different for the outputs of AV receivers for example. My receiver (other room, living room for movies) has 3 HDMI outputs but wouldn't be adequate in my computer setup as one only passes through video, the othertwo video with stereo sound. The HD audio signal doesn't get passed through.

Jan 19, 2018 at 11:30 PM Post #39,602 of 48,562
Iso your saying the k712's are not the right choice for FPS positional gaming such as pubg and such..

The AKGs K702/712 need a good amp to sound good,so if youre willing to plunk down extra cash for an amp then theyre a great choice,otherwise I'd look into the X1/X2 or DT880 DT990.

Jan 20, 2018 at 1:18 AM Post #39,603 of 48,562
Somewhat off topic here but as I'm not a member of any computer forum and this has to do with PC gaming I would like to ask the experts in this thread a question.
I did find a lot of similar questions on PC forums through none of themmanaged to answer the questions I have for my situation.
Also, my question is about video cards but more soundthan video related.

Here it comes.
I would like to use 2 Nvidia video cards in one PC.
I know that's possible but I'm not interested in using one for Physx or using them in SLI (though I have no problem with it if they have to be configured that way}.
I am also not inetersted in using multi-monitor setup or anything like that.

So why then?
Well, I need multiple HDMI ports (4 or 5 actually) all putting out the same signal.
I would only use 2 of them at the same time though (one for video, 1 for audio) but I really want all of them to be connected so I can switch easily).
I need HDMI for sound output since it's the only way to output HD sound. USBand optical are limited to DD and DTS, they can't output Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Masteror higher.
So what do I want to connect?
- a monitor via Diplay Port (ultrawide)
- a TV via HDMI (4K HDR)
- VR glasses
- a Smyth Realiser (the headphone equivalent of an A/V receiver)
- 2 Soundbars (Atmos or at least TrueHD capable)

So how do I go about getting 4 to 5 HDMI ports? The only good way I know about is two video cards with 3 outputs or so. I tried a bunch of HDMI splitters but they're a real pain and none of them did output all I want, except HD Fury but that one only has two outputs.

Any info you can share with me would be really welcome!
L
O
L

No, USB is not limited to Dolby Digital. Moreover, Both Dolby True-HD and DTS-HD are compressed audio formats, unlike regular LPCM 7.1 or higher which USB fully supports. Even the Smyth Realizer website clearly states that they support 16 channel Atmos over USB connection.

Jan 20, 2018 at 1:35 AM Post #39,604 of 48,562
L
O
L

No, USB is not limited to Dolby Digital. Moreover, Both Dolby True-HD and DTS-HD are compressed audio formats, unlike regular LPCM 7.1 or higher which USB fully supports. Even the Smyth Realizer website clearly states that they support 16 channel Atmos over USB connection.

Why the LoL? :wink:

Indeed for the Realiser it does, forgot about that but I think remembering reading somewhere there was some kind of disadvantage not using HDMI for the Realiser.
In any case it wouldn't output the video then and I also would only be able to input one device using USB. I am planning to use all 4 HDMI inputs for a PS4, Xbox, Mac and PC ... :wink:

For other devices, soundbars in my case, the few interesting ones I found so far didn't support higher that DD/DTS via optical and USB. Would be sweet if they did though.
The one I was most intersted in and that I have tried at home was the Yamaha YSP-5600. It had all I wanted (Atmos, 4k passthrough and wired sub-out) but it didn't have HDR passthrough sadly. I have my hopes up for the new Sennheiser Soundbar that is coming this year. I will be trying out a Yarra 3DX via the analog outputs of the Realiser as well but fear the poor thing might be a bit underpowered. :wink:

Jan 20, 2018 at 1:51 AM Post #39,605 of 48,562
Why the LoL? :wink:

Indeed for the Realiser it does, forgot about that but I think remembering reading somewhere there was some kind of disadvantage not using HDMI for the Realiser.
In any case it wouldn't output the video then and I also would only be able to input one device using USB. I am planning to use all 4 HDMI inputs for a PS4, Xbox, Mac and PC ... :wink:

For other devices, soundbars in my case, the few interesting ones I found so far didn't support higher that DD/DTS via optical and USB. Would be sweet if they did though.
The one I was most intersted in and that I have tried at home was the Yamaha YSP-5600. It had all I wanted (Atmos, 4k passthrough and wired sub-out) but it didn't have HDR passthrough sadly. I have my hopes up for the new Sennheiser Soundbar that is coming this year. I will be trying out a Yarra 3DX via the analog outputs of the Realiser as well but fear the poor thing might be a bit underpowered. :wink:
Try the Creative Carrier-X, might have all the functionalities you need.

Jan 20, 2018 at 2:27 AM Post #39,606 of 48,562
The AKGs K702/712 need a good amp to sound good,so if youre willing to plunk down extra cash for an amp then theyre a great choice,otherwise I'd look into the X1/X2 or DT880 DT990.
Yeah mate,
I plan on buying an Amp/Dac for any headset I buy, but I'm looking to get a decent set so in the future when I decent to ever step up and get a better headphones I should be sweet.
atm I'm looking at the Mayflower ARC or Schiit Jotunheim should be enough. Just need help on the best headphones in the list first.

Cheers

Jan 20, 2018 at 2:42 AM Post #39,607 of 48,562
I honestly was going to add them to the list and completely forget about the Phillips Fidelio X2, they keep popping up aswell
Personally I was learning towards the AKG k712 pro bout have no idea how the soundstage and imaging are on those, so your saying the k712's are not the right choice for FPS positional gaming such as pubg and such.. I know the AD900x are used in the gaming world alot I just don't like the reviews on comfort and how they slide around so thats kinda out for me.
Im guessing if its to bassy i'm loosing in sound elsewhere? i don't really need the extra bass if i loose gaming performance.

I have the X2 now also after previously owning the K702 - the 702s were just fantastic for gaming and great for positional awareness and soundstage. The X2 aren't quote as good in that respect in that area in my opinion but are more suitable for music for me (K702 were just too neutral sounding and needed a little more bass for me) so a better all rounder. The sacrifice on the gaming side is so minor.

Having said that the K712 are supposed to have a little more bass - I'd like to try some to compare to my X2!

Jan 20, 2018 at 3:25 AM Post #39,608 of 48,562
I have the X2 now also after previously owning the K702 - the 702s were just fantastic for gaming and great for positional awareness and soundstage. The X2 aren't quote as good in that respect in that area in my opinion but are more suitable for music for me (K702 were just too neutral sounding and needed a little more bass for me) so a better all rounder. The sacrifice on the gaming side is so minor.

Having said that the K712 are supposed to have a little more bass - I'd like to try some to compare to my X2!

Anyone ran the ATH-AD2000x for gaming along side the AKG k712 pro. Soundstage on the ad2000x seems perfect for gaming but i also hear that the airyness (not sure what that means) makes then not so accurate but gives them that feel.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2018 at 5:09 AM Post #39,609 of 48,562
Try the Creative Carrier-X, might have all the functionalities you need.

Well ....
USD 5700 usually translates to Euro 6000-6500 in Europe, no matter what the dollor to euro rate.
Also, the 50% discount in the US translates to a middle finger in Europe as usual. :wink:
I'm not really trusting a product that isn't even produced yet and gets discounted at half the price already.
On top of that used resale value will probably be magnificent for that one. :wink:

No, seriously, I'm not going to drop 6k on a soundbar and certainly not when it's from Creative Labs.

Jan 20, 2018 at 3:30 PM Post #39,610 of 48,562
I honestly was going to add them to the list and completely forget about the Phillips Fidelio X2, they keep popping up aswell
Personally I was learning towards the AKG k712 pro bout have no idea how the soundstage and imaging are on those, so your saying the k712's are not the right choice for FPS positional gaming such as pubg and such.. I know the AD900x are used in the gaming world alot I just don't like the reviews on comfort and how they slide around so thats kinda out for me.
Im guessing if its to bassy i'm loosing in sound elsewhere? i don't really need the extra bass if i loose gaming performance.

No, the k712 (along with the X2) have very large soundstages, which usually helps with positioning on FPS. The k712's have a slight bass boost, which won't effect the other frequencies. The X2's are even more bassy/warm sounding. They're not as technically as good as the k712's, but they're more enjoyable in my opinion. They k712's are also going to need a better amp to properly drive them.

Here's a thread I found: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/akg-k712-pro-vs-philips-fidelio-x2.839243/

Also the AD900x's can either be extremely comfortable (as they were for me), or they can be problematic depending on your head size.

Jan 21, 2018 at 10:13 AM Post #39,611 of 48,562
Hey everyone!

As a fan and proud owner of Koss Porta Pro should I try some other headphones?
I had other headphones like Cal!, HM2 and some gaming stuff from creative but this is the most epicly comfortable headphones I've ever tried. Allows my ears to breath and not sweat even in summer after long hours. I can easily forget about wearing them.
Pads could be a little bit softer maybe but I would not like then to be any thicker so they are good as they are. The sound quality is just amazing. They have great soundstage and separation at the same time as having very fun bass. So these are great for music and for gaming. Generally they are not flat and this is the reason why I love them. HM5 was way too boring and CAL! bass was lacking.

So, being as it is... should I even remotely continue trying other headphones? Is there anything else that would satisfy nonsweaty long hours comfort and have warm/bassy and yet open/wide sound signature? I need to get ksc75, that's for sure... But I expect them to have less bass anyway.

This said, I am running it off e10k and I am not sure if that's a good choice. Generally, it's a fantastic product but being usb dac, it creates some "pop" noise when music starts/stops.
At the same time, it's nice having a dac and volume right there on my desk which makes plugging headphones easier. But there is no reason I couldn't have jack cord extension from back of some sound card too.
And Koss PP don't need amp anyway. They play very nicely of ps4 controller too. No issues at all.

Jan 21, 2018 at 11:38 AM Post #39,612 of 48,562
Hey everyone!

As a fan and proud owner of Koss Porta Pro should I try some other headphones?
I had other headphones like Cal!, HM2 and some gaming stuff from creative but this is the most epicly comfortable headphones I've ever tried. Allows my ears to breath and not sweat even in summer after long hours. I can easily forget about wearing them.
Pads could be a little bit softer maybe but I would not like then to be any thicker so they are good as they are. The sound quality is just amazing. They have great soundstage and separation at the same time as having very fun bass. So these are great for music and for gaming. Generally they are not flat and this is the reason why I love them. HM5 was way too boring and CAL! bass was lacking.

So, being as it is... should I even remotely continue trying other headphones? Is there anything else that would satisfy nonsweaty long hours comfort and have warm/bassy and yet open/wide sound signature? I need to get ksc75, that's for sure... But I expect them to have less bass anyway.

This said, I am running it off e10k and I am not sure if that's a good choice. Generally, it's a fantastic product but being usb dac, it creates some "pop" noise when music starts/stops.
At the same time, it's nice having a dac and volume right there on my desk which makes plugging headphones easier. But there is no reason I couldn't have jack cord extension from back of some sound card too.
And Koss PP don't need amp anyway. They play very nicely of ps4 controller too. No issues at all.

What's your budget? I really like planar headphones for gaming. Monoprice M1060 is a great headphone at $300. There's a big modding community here with them. Very good bass and open soundstage.

My favorite gaming headphone is my Hifiman HE-X V2s. Extremely open sounding, good bass, and plenty of details. You can get these used for ~$900. $1,300 new.

I like my Fostex TH-X00 Ebony, which have AWESOME bass, but semi open means a smaller soundstage. I really like these for movies. Mahogany's start at $400 through Massdrop, PH $450, Ebony $500.

I recently gave away my Beyerdynamic DT-990. They were really good for gaming, but I didn't like them for music. Too much treble energy. Good bass, decent soundstage, and a good value at ~$130.

Best value? Massdrop Sennheiser PC37X. For $120, you get a good mic, easy as hell to drive (114db/1mW), and they sound really good with games and music. Huge improvement over the PC360. I can plug these directly into my Xbox controller and get good volume. I still think these are the best value currently for gaming headphones.

Jan 21, 2018 at 11:46 AM Post #39,613 of 48,562
@mbyrnes
No budget really... But since I am happy with Porta pro, it would make no sense to spend like 500$ on new headphones that would be only little bit better. I am just thinking out loud more than anything.
I also don't need mic.

I guess I would be very interested to try planars. I've even emailed monoprice if they sell to Europe(Poland) but even if they did, the shipping and fees would double the price... and M560 at 150$ seems like a great deal. But I would not spend more than 200$.
The massdrop stuff also looks great. senn 6XX for 200$ are probably great... but again... This infuriates me because this does not work in europe/Poland... so 200$ massdrop headphone shipping is close too 100$ with another 20/30% tax on it... Sometimes I hate Europe/Poland and companies totally ingoring this market while I can get free shipping from china.

Jan 21, 2018 at 12:01 PM Post #39,614 of 48,562
@mbyrnes
No budget really... But since I am happy with Porta pro, it would make no sense to spend like 500$ on new headphones that would be only little bit better. I am just thinking out loud more than anything.
I also don't need mic.

I guess I would be very interested to try planars. I've even emailed monoprice if they sell to Europe(Poland) but even if they did, the shipping and fees would double the price... and M560 at 150$ seems like a great deal. But I would not spend more than 200$.
The massdrop stuff also looks great. senn 6XX for 200$ are probably great... but again... This infuriates me because this does not work in europe/Poland... so 200$ massdrop headphone shipping is close too 100$ with another 20/30% tax on it... Sometimes I hate Europe/Poland and companies totally ingoring this market while I can get free shipping from china.

Yeah Europe throws a huge monkey wrench into buying a headphone. Shipping and VAT suck.

I personally think that once you hit the $500 mark, you're getting a pretty damn good headphone. This is the level where you start hitting small upgrades for a lot of money. The $300 level gets you a good headphone as well, but this price range you really need to do your homework. The tradeoffs between headphones is vast.

Maybe check the classifieds here. Someone in Europe may be selling a great headphone, which helps with much of the cost. I'd try to hit a meet if you can. Great hearing dozens of headphones, amps, DACs, and sources. Easy to find a headphone, once you know exactly what you want from a headphone.

You can definitely do better than the Porta Pro. The Hifiman HE-560 has been on sale for $350ish. I thought Monoprice had a European distributor. Good luck my man.

Jan 21, 2018 at 2:43 PM Post #39,615 of 48,562
@mbyrnes
I also don't need mic.

I'll have Shure SRH1840 to sell in a week, reach out via PM if interested.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back