Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Feb 23, 2019 at 1:07 PM Post #42,046 of 48,561
Hi Clean6eR,

I would truly like to help you and share the files but since it is not a public beta and this is a nice step from Creative to get a feedback from the community, I don't want to ruin anything by sharing the files.

I hope you understand.
ei se mitään, kiitos kuitenkin

Feb 23, 2019 at 7:19 PM Post #42,047 of 48,561
If the g6 performs a simple stereo downmix on hesuvi hrtf signal, the hrtf is preserved, because doing a stereo downmix is just summation, and the other channels are empty.

The contradiction is that you are saying the g6 has vss that is affecting spatial quality, yet not interfering with hesuvi. I don't see how this is possible.

i was saying that lav audio decoder software downmix sounds different spatially then whatever g6 is doing with sbx off.
i recorded a couple samples via "what u hear":
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1pt4NdVytqOFzooOu5ESVh5ZJjNJW8emX

from these to me it seems like:
1. g6 sbx off with hesuvi works good
2. you may be right regarding g6 sbx off being just a downmix (but different algorithm than lav filters)
3. 2 layered hrtfs still allow some postitional accuracy but with degraded quality

however what is not seen with these samples is that g6 sbx off without hesuvi provides decent positional accuracy in games.

edit: i mean that i can also differentiate between front/back.
maybe they are doing something else besides downmix with sbx off.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2019 at 8:17 PM Post #42,048 of 48,561
https://imgur.com/crbE1t7

So I can confirm off the bat, since there are those blank spaces across front left and front right, that those channels don't have virtual surround sound. So it can't interfere with hesuvi.
However, if you look further down, I don't see blank spaces for side left, rear left, side right, rear right. From the image alone, I don't know if that is simply a bug in the mixer, or if it is vss for those channels.

When I do listening tests though, I feel like I am not hearing any difference in depth between any of the channels on g6 no sbx.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2019 at 8:26 PM Post #42,049 of 48,561
When I do listening tests though, I feel like I am not hearing any difference in depth between any of the channels on g6 no sbx.

you mean the rear and side channels? noticed that too with this specific clip i used for testing.
however in gaming i think i can differentiate between those channels with just their "downmix".
maybe they are doing other things like idk maybe modifying spectral content without applying hrtf.

Feb 23, 2019 at 8:40 PM Post #42,050 of 48,561
you mean the rear and side channels? noticed that too with this specific clip i used for testing.
however in gaming i think i can differentiate between those channels with just their "downmix".
maybe they are doing other things like idk maybe modifying spectral content without applying hrtf.

I can't hear a difference in depth between any of the channels on g6 no sbx. The rear and side channels are louder though.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2019 at 3:18 AM Post #42,052 of 48,561
Feb 24, 2019 at 10:41 AM Post #42,053 of 48,561
@ciukacz

So, yea, definitely, the way the g6 downmixes the side and rear channels is different than a regular stereo downmix in that there is less stereo separation for those channels. When you further downmix this to mono, the volume of the rear channels and side channels goes down, indicating what ends up in left and right are opposite phase. I don't know why it is doing this, maybe it is a bug, or maybe it helps with sbx when it is on, I don't know.

Feb 24, 2019 at 9:15 PM Post #42,054 of 48,561
So I've had my SBX G6 for a few weeks now and so far I'm quite happy with it. Now I'm wanting to pick up a set of headphones to use directly out of the G6 for gaming purposes only.

The past few days have been a seemingly endless search with no definitive answer. Of course there never is a definitive answer on the internet, and opinions are always divided to some extent. But it seems most discussion regarding what makes a "good" or "best" gaming headphone approaches the topic with the assumption that "best" means you hear footsteps in an FPS game better than your opponent does. I don't really care about differentiating if someone 7 feet away instead of 6 feet away if it means gunshots sound like BB guns and explosions sound like someone popping bubble wrap. Then there's the whole VSS wildcard, which seems to change everything...

So for use directly amp'd by the SBX G6, with SBX virtual surround enabled, playing mostly single player PC games of all genres (with multiplayer FPS games on occasion), what's good and what's garbage? I'd like to stay around the $200 price point, but I'm open to spend a bit more if needed. So far I've looked at:

HD6xx - I never owned a pair of the legendary HD650s, so that aspect of it is somewhat enticing, but seem to be generally regarded as crap for gaming
HD58x - Cheaper, easier to drive, supposedly have excellent imaging. Some people say they're great, others say they suck for gaming.
K7xx - I had a pair of K701s many moons ago when they were basically AKGs flagship and loved them. Super comfortable IMO. But is the hugely wide sound stage TOO WIDE with VSS? Is that even something I should worry about?
HE-4xx/HE-400i - Seen these referenced a few times as good gaming 'phones, but can the G6 really drive them? My HE-560s are crazy power hungry so I have my doubts...
Then there's all the other "classic" gaming headphones... HD598, AD700x, bunch of other alpha-numeric names...

Feb 24, 2019 at 10:48 PM Post #42,055 of 48,561
HD598 if you want a well rounded headphone with some warmth. Responds great to VSS DSP's. HE400i if you want something more neutral. Can't say re: HD58x as I have never tried it. Not a huge fan of the 7xx but some here swear by it.

Feb 24, 2019 at 11:58 PM Post #42,056 of 48,561
So I've had my SBX G6 for a few weeks now and so far I'm quite happy with it. Now I'm wanting to pick up a set of headphones to use directly out of the G6 for gaming purposes only.

The past few days have been a seemingly endless search with no definitive answer. Of course there never is a definitive answer on the internet, and opinions are always divided to some extent. But it seems most discussion regarding what makes a "good" or "best" gaming headphone approaches the topic with the assumption that "best" means you hear footsteps in an FPS game better than your opponent does. I don't really care about differentiating if someone 7 feet away instead of 6 feet away if it means gunshots sound like BB guns and explosions sound like someone popping bubble wrap. Then there's the whole VSS wildcard, which seems to change everything...

So for use directly amp'd by the SBX G6, with SBX virtual surround enabled, playing mostly single player PC games of all genres (with multiplayer FPS games on occasion), what's good and what's garbage? I'd like to stay around the $200 price point, but I'm open to spend a bit more if needed. So far I've looked at:

HD6xx
HD58x - Cheaper, easier to drive, supposedly have excellent imaging. Some people say they're great, others say they suck for gaming.
K7xx - HE-4xx/HE-400i -
Then there's all the other "classic" gaming headphones... HD598, AD700x, bunch of other alpha-numeric names...
I really like the HD58X for just about any kind of audio, but have never used them for FPS gaming (not really into any FPS gaming).

The Audio Technica ATH-AD700X headphones are very bass light, but usually get great reviews for FPS gaming.

You also might check out the Soundmagic HP200 open headphones, very lively sound, but see what overs say about them for FPS gaming.

Feb 25, 2019 at 12:12 AM Post #42,057 of 48,561

HD6xx - I never owned a pair of the legendary HD650s, so that aspect of it is somewhat enticing, but seem to be generally regarded as crap for gaming
K7xx - I had a pair of K701s many moons ago when they were basically AKGs flagship and loved them. Super comfortable IMO. But is the hugely wide sound stage TOO WIDE with VSS? Is that even something I should worry about?
HE-4xx/HE-400i - Seen these referenced a few times as good gaming 'phones, but can the G6 really drive them? My HE-560s are crazy power hungry so I have my doubts...

Wait what? You have HD800S and you are looking for a good headphone for gaming? :beyersmile:

Have you tried them with G6 and how did you like/dislike the sound?

Feb 25, 2019 at 1:04 AM Post #42,058 of 48,561
Wait what? You have HD800S and you are looking for a good headphone for gaming? :beyersmile:

Have you tried them with G6 and how did you like/dislike the sound?

They sound great with the G6, but two things annoy me with using them for gaming:
-Comfort wise I've always had a bit of love/hate relationship with the HD800S. They're light weight and don't clamp down on your head like a vice, but something has always seemed 'off' with how they fit my head. It feels I can never get them to sit just right. I'll periodically get annoyed, adjust them all over the place on my head, and basically make no improvement.
-Having to switch DAC inputs back and forth is a pain, as is having to power on an amp just to play a game. Yes, I'm that lazy. Would be nice to just toss on a pair of headphones, switch output devices in Windows, and go.

Maybe I'll just snag a pair of K7xx since I know they're comfortable (yes, I know some people would strongly disagree with that statement, maybe I just have a weird head)...

Feb 25, 2019 at 2:08 AM Post #42,059 of 48,561
They sound great with the G6, but two things annoy me with using them for gaming:
-Comfort wise I've always had a bit of love/hate relationship with the HD800S. They're light weight and don't clamp down on your head like a vice, but something has always seemed 'off' with how they fit my head. It feels I can never get them to sit just right. I'll periodically get annoyed, adjust them all over the place on my head, and basically make no improvement.
-Having to switch DAC inputs back and forth is a pain, as is having to power on an amp just to play a game. Yes, I'm that lazy. Would be nice to just toss on a pair of headphones, switch output devices in Windows, and go.

Maybe I'll just snag a pair of K7xx since I know they're comfortable (yes, I know some people would strongly disagree with that statement, maybe I just have a weird head)...

I'm sure you can find nice headphones for gaming from AKG. HD598 is a nice option too.

Mar 1, 2019 at 6:49 AM Post #42,060 of 48,561
Does anyone have a link to the G6 beta firmware? I know it's a closed beta, but Ryan was seemingly messaging it out to anyone on Reddit, so I personally can't see the harm in sharing it through private messages here. Just means not having to wait for Ryan to check his DM's, but understood if no one wishes to share. Just thought I'd check to see if I could have a play around with it over the weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back