Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Feb 4, 2019 at 6:39 PM Post #41,926 of 48,562
I’ve got a question, if I want to use the G6 solely as a dac paired with another amp, what volume level should the G6 be set at?
The line out on the g6 is a preamp so it is not ideal to connect a headphone amp as you can run into clipping and/or distortion issues. Preamps are designed for powered speakers only as far as I know. But if that is your only option then you want the g6 to be at full volume. I've tested this with my external amp and the output seems to be perfectly fine.

Feb 4, 2019 at 7:02 PM Post #41,927 of 48,562
The line out on the g6 is a preamp so it is not ideal to connect a headphone amp as you can run into clipping and/or distortion issues. Preamps are designed for powered speakers only as far as I know. But if that is your only option then you want the g6 to be at full volume. I've tested this with my external amp and the output seems to be perfectly fine.
I find this wierd, as I’ve heard multiple people say that one of the pros of the G6 is the ability to hook it up to a high grade amp and use it only as a dac for its VSS effects. Is there no better way to hook it up to an amp?

Feb 4, 2019 at 7:14 PM Post #41,928 of 48,562
I find this wierd, as I’ve heard multiple people say that one of the pros of the G6 is the ability to hook it up to a high grade amp and use it only as a dac for its VSS effects. Is there no better way to hook it up to an amp?
You can still do that and have no issues like I said before. With the g6 you can connect a better dac to the optical port and you’ll still get to use the features but I would actually only do that if you plan on using a balanced dac amp. People have ran into issues with their headphone amps when plugged into pre outs but with the g6 I didn’t run into any issues.

Feb 5, 2019 at 12:29 AM Post #41,929 of 48,562
I've been using the G6 with a pair of Audio Technica ADG1X. I've just about ran every configuration I can think of, USB into PC, into PS4, and every combination of options with audio out settings and also Creatives software options and different buttons on and off. I have come to the point where I think I've found the best settings for myself to replicate the best positional audio for playing CoD. 5.1 Dolby via optical to the G6. USB to PS4 and chat only function to G6. SBX turned on. Low gain on. Playing with high gain is painful with harsh highs. Playing with low gain allows me to hear a wide range without being fatigued. I'm going to now switch between the G6 and the Astro Mixamp to see how they compare and I'll try that over a few weeks. But playing hard core search with a friend with the Astro and AD700X combo, we both tend to hear the correct directions from my observations. If you had to buy a mixamp / dac for PS4, I'd have no trouble recommending the G6.

Feb 5, 2019 at 12:51 AM Post #41,930 of 48,562
The G6 line out is a mini toslink out combo jack. If you connect it with optical cable (mini toslink) to the external dac/amp, there is no issues. No clipping, no distortion and balanced dac/amp is not needed altough I have one.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2019 at 10:31 AM Post #41,931 of 48,562
Logitech announced new DTS Headphone:X 2.0 surround sound gaming headsets in their "Logitech G" lineup:

DSC01801_%281%29.jpg

RGB
  • Logitech® G935 7.1 LIGHTSYNC Wireless Gaming Headset
  • Logitech® G635 7.1 LIGHTSYNC Gaming Headset (wired version of above)
Basic (same 50mm drivers, less customization)
  • Logitech® G432 7.1 Surround Gaming Headset (wired)
There is also Logitech® G332 Stereo Gaming Headset (not surround). More at:
https://news.logitech.com/press-rel...d-science-new-lineup-gaming-headsets-are-buil

Feb 5, 2019 at 10:35 AM Post #41,932 of 48,562
I've been using the G6 with a pair of Audio Technica ADG1X. I've just about ran every configuration I can think of, USB into PC, into PS4, and every combination of options with audio out settings and also Creatives software options and different buttons on and off. I have come to the point where I think I've found the best settings for myself to replicate the best positional audio for playing CoD. 5.1 Dolby via optical to the G6. USB to PS4 and chat only function to G6. SBX turned on. Low gain on. Playing with high gain is painful with harsh highs. Playing with low gain allows me to hear a wide range without being fatigued. I'm going to now switch between the G6 and the Astro Mixamp to see how they compare and I'll try that over a few weeks. But playing hard core search with a friend with the Astro and AD700X combo, we both tend to hear the correct directions from my observations. If you had to buy a mixamp / dac for PS4, I'd have no trouble recommending the G6.

Thanks for the clear answer. Which Mixamp does your friend use? Cause if it's the TR, I'm curious to know which EQ he has...

Feb 5, 2019 at 12:46 PM Post #41,933 of 48,562
Logitech announced new DTS Headphone:X 2.0 surround sound gaming headsets in their "Logitech G" lineup:

DSC01801_%281%29.jpg

RGB
  • Logitech® G935 7.1 LIGHTSYNC Wireless Gaming Headset
  • Logitech® G635 7.1 LIGHTSYNC Gaming Headset (wired version of above)
Basic (same 50mm drivers, less customization)
  • Logitech® G432 7.1 Surround Gaming Headset (wired)
There is also Logitech® G332 Stereo Gaming Headset (not surround). More at:
https://news.logitech.com/press-rel...d-science-new-lineup-gaming-headsets-are-buil

DTS Headphone:X? Intersted in that G935.
Seems like it will work with PC, Mac, IOS, Android, Xbox and PS4?
The DTS on all htose platforms as well?

Feb 5, 2019 at 2:58 PM Post #41,935 of 48,562
Yes, should be DTS Headphone:X v2.0, whatever that means. G935 is wireless only.

Should be DTS Headphone:X v2.0 7.1 surround on all of those, except the G332 model.

I meant do you get DTS:Headphone X on all OS platforms: MacOS, Windows, IOS, Android, PS4, Xbox.
Or is it like with the Mobius, stereo on all platforms and surround only on Windows.

Feb 5, 2019 at 5:46 PM Post #41,937 of 48,562
I’ve got a question, if I want to use the G6 solely as a DAC paired with another amp, what volume level should the G6 be set at?
Set the volumes as high as possible, that does not add noise into the signal.
You want to feed the strongest signal possible.

Why use a separate amplifier with the Creative Labs G6?

Feb 5, 2019 at 5:51 PM Post #41,938 of 48,562
Guys I have a question .. if I buy for example a AKG 712 pro and put a Modmic on it and put the two in to a y adapter and connect to the Xbox command the chat on xbox will work?
Thanks
If the jack on the Xbox Command is a TRRS jack and the input on the Y adapter has one input for stereo headphones and the other input is a line-input (mic), then it should work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back