Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Sep 24, 2018 at 7:35 PM Post #41,236 of 48,561
Anyone get popping when set to 32 bit on the G6? Either my USB ports are that awful, or something else is happening. I set it to 24 bit and I don't get that anymore.
Mind you, this isn't limited to the G6. I used to have the same issue with Audio GD gear when running too high a bitrate.
I'll have to do more testing, as my USB ports DO have some problems, so I can't for sure blame the G6 here.
Why even set the bit rate to 32-bit?
Chances are most audio you are going to send thru the G6 will be 16-bit.

Sep 24, 2018 at 7:58 PM Post #41,237 of 48,561
Anyone get popping when set to 32 bit on the G6? Either my USB ports are that awful, or something else is happening. I set it to 24 bit and I don't get that anymore.

Mind you, this isn't limited to the G6. I used to have the same issue with Audio GD gear when running too high a bitrate.

I'll hgave to do more testing, as my USB ports DO have some problems, so I can't for sure blame the G6 here.
No matter what any device supports, I always set ist to 24/96. There’s no point on going higher unless you’re a professional music producer.

Tbh I can’t hear the difference between 16/48 to 24/96. Im not really a serious music listener. Im just trying to enjoy it the best that I can.

Sep 24, 2018 at 7:58 PM Post #41,238 of 48,561
I think it's oversampling. I don't know the science. But setting to 16 bit and lowering volume will cause bit loss and theoretically sq loss.

I've always used 24/96. It's always worked fine for me.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2018 at 12:29 AM Post #41,239 of 48,561
Someone is saying that they can't change the chat balance on the G6 relative to game audio on the ps4?

Isn't that related to the sidetone function on the G6 itself (by pressing in the volume knob, the light turns red, and it constrols sidetone volume)? I know what sidetone is, but perhaps the louder the sidetone, the louder your voice is? The Mobius strangely has that issue, where they're tied together. The louder you hear your own voice, the louder it is to everyone is as well.

In any case, I know there is no setting on ps4 to change mic volume when the X6 is connected via usb, but there IS a way to change mic volume on the g6 software itself. It's buried in the bottom under setup, and then the Mixer sub section, and press the gear in "External Mic".

Or is the problem something else?

With sidetone control I can change my mic and sidetone volume (and mute the sidetone), but I can't change how loud I can hear my friends in PS4 party chat.

You can change your mic volume in the PS4 settings also, but I'm just missing the control to change how loud you can hear your friends, like the game/chat balance knob in MixAmp.

If someone can figure out how to do this with G6 that woud be great.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2018 at 3:50 AM Post #41,240 of 48,561
I mean, that sounds like what you can do under the setup in the software. You would likely have to connect to a PC to adjust the setting though.

Sup Yethal, I see you lurking. :wink:

Sep 25, 2018 at 3:53 AM Post #41,241 of 48,561
I get a artefact from time to time when watching movies or during games. Like a mini fraction of distortion. I don't know how to describe it. Using optical out to the DAC.
I'm happy with the G6's SBX but that's a showstopper. I suspected USB issues (latency) but it doesn't matter if it's under very heavy gaming load or just a movie.

I don't get any artefact when doing DEDICATED HARDPANNING STEREO gaming via the DAC. Must be the G6.

I will try switching the USB ports later.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2018 at 3:54 AM Post #41,242 of 48,561
With sidetone control I can change my mic and sidetone volume (and mute the sidetone), but I can't change how loud I can hear my friends in PS4 party chat.

You can change your mic volume in the PS4 settings also, but I'm just missing the control to change how loud you can hear your friends, like the game/chat balance knob in MixAmp.

If someone can figure out how to do this with G6 that woud be great.

If you have the G6 connected via USB and optical I’m pretty sure you’d be able to use the PS4 Sound menu to change the Party Chat/Game balance??

Sep 25, 2018 at 3:55 AM Post #41,243 of 48,561

I'll hgave to do more testing, as my USB ports DO have some problems, so I can't for sure blame the G6 here.

I got popping (vinyl like) using the same settings you describe. Fixed it by changing USB port.

Sep 25, 2018 at 4:35 AM Post #41,246 of 48,561
I mentioned before, that specific setting makes or breaks SBX surround, so if you want SBX on PS4, make sure you're not sending all audio to the G6's USB. Only chat audio.

Fege, like whomever mentioned, unplug your headphone, change to line out/optical, then plug in your headphone. It saves the setting. I know you're not connecting a headphone directly to the G6, but do it at least for this so you don't constantly have to switch. At least that's what worked for me.

As for random pops, I haven't had any since changing to 24 bit/96khz. 32bit just has too many pops. I looked at Amazon and it looks like I'm not the only one that fixed the popping by going to 24 bit.

I will mention this on my next email to Creative. I sent some feedback but I didn't mention this.

I see you Raband. :p

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2018 at 4:40 AM Post #41,248 of 48,561
Interesting. I need to try that. Will report if it saves the headphones setting forever.

Have the windows default setting, never changed the bit depth. Will try another USB port. If this fails too I'm going all in on a dedicated pcie 4x usb card with multiple controllers.

Sep 25, 2018 at 4:45 AM Post #41,249 of 48,561
Primary sound output ‘Digital Out’ (Optical) with a format of ‘Dolby Digital 5.1ch,’ under Audio Format - ‘Bitstream’ (Dolby)

Audio Devices --> Output to headphones’ is on ‘Chat.’

These are my settings.

That seems ok from my understanding. Don’t mean to state the obvious - you are in a party when checking the setting??

Sep 25, 2018 at 4:54 AM Post #41,250 of 48,561
I had a headache today so my effort to write the G6 review was like 2%, but I feel a little better now, and I'm making progress. I hope to get most of it written today.

Timespinner comes out today! I love my Metroidvanias <3

Also on PC.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back