Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jul 27, 2018 at 6:10 AM Post #40,576 of 48,560
Anyone else keen to chip in to help buy MLE a set of Mobius?

I've jumped on his Patreon to sort of try to pay back the effort, inspiration and (probably days or weeks now) time I've spent in this thread and forum.

(not necessarily the Mobius, but some part of gear he really deserves - his choice)

@Audeze, @Sennheiser, @Everyone else etc - this guys is the best salesman you (don't) have on your books.

So many people have bought so many things after being introduced to this thread from a google search.

Any of you guys willing to work out a "dollar for dollar" incentive for anything (or something similar) us people who are looking to show some gratitude to the guy that pretty much introduced us to headphones for?

MLE honestly deserves some honest recognition and acknowledgement from both the community and the manufactures that he was instrumental in bringing together.

@jude - I'd love some acknowledgement from Headfi on the traffic that this thread has driven here - am sure there's a good percentage that found your site/forum via the "MLE Headphone Gaming" thread and stuck around.

Anyone else want to help make sure MLE gets recognition for the crippling addiction he led us to?

edit: creative, mad dogs, AKG, KOSS and others should have been in the above call outs, but they don't link as sponsors.

@Evshrug - anything to add?
@Mad Lust Envy - guess I should tag you too

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2018 at 6:24 AM Post #40,577 of 48,560
Been trying out Windows Sonic and Dolby Atmos for headphones on Xbox One X. Now I'm not sure what to expect from these two, but comparing them to MixAmp Pro (dolby headphones) and X7 (SBX) neither are very close in terms of position cues or immersive experience.

How good should these be when compared to "hardware" solutions?

Jul 27, 2018 at 6:53 AM Post #40,578 of 48,560
I prefer Windows Sonic over Dolby Atmos for Headphones.

Neither come close to the "hardware" solutions for gaming.

For movies they are acceptable (Sonic especially) as they add the extra space to the audio and let you forget you're wearing headphones.

For games - nup from me - they are a step above no DSP, but don't come close to a real solution.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2018 at 7:27 AM Post #40,580 of 48,560
Anyone else keen to chip in to help buy MLE a set of Mobius?

I've jumped on his Patreon to sort of try to pay back the effort, inspiration and (probably days or weeks now) time I've spent in this thread and forum.

(not necessarily the Mobius, but some part of gear he really deserves - his choice)

@Audeze, @Sennheiser, @Everyone else etc - this guys is the best salesman you (don't) have on your books.

So many people have bought so many things after being introduced to this thread from a google search.

Any of you guys willing to work out a "dollar for dollar" incentive for anything (or something similar) us people who are looking to show some gratitude to the guy that pretty much introduced us to headphones for?

MLE honestly deserves some honest recognition and acknowledgement from both the community and the manufactures that he was instrumental in bringing together.

@jude - I'd love some acknowledgement from Headfi on the traffic that this thread has driven here - am sure there's a good percentage that found your site/forum via the "MLE Headphone Gaming" thread and stuck around.

Anyone else want to help make sure MLE gets recognition for the crippling addiction he led us to?

edit: creative, mad dogs, AKG, KOSS and others should have been in the above call outs, but they don't link as sponsors.

@Evshrug - anything to add?
@Mad Lust Envy - guess I should tag you too
+1 on that
My entire audio journey started from this thread

Jul 27, 2018 at 8:23 AM Post #40,581 of 48,560
+1 on that

Would love to see a couple of official names there as subs.

Would probably cost them less than sending him headphones occasionally, while also showing acknowledgement of his effort.

My entire audio journey started from this thread

My whole spiralling into madness and bankruptcy started from this thread :wink:

Hell - look at my sig - if it wasn't for this thread I'd be rocking apple pods (most were bought new, from the brands site or an official distributor - must be a couple of hundred dollars there that they got out of me from this MLE thread?)

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 27, 2018 at 8:40 AM Post #40,582 of 48,560
Would love to see a couple of official names there as subs.

Would probably cost them less than sending him headphones occasionally, while also showing acknowledgement of his effort.

My whole spiralling into madness and bankruptcy started from this thread :wink:

Hell - look at my sig - if it wasn't for this thread I'd be rocking apple pods (most were bought new, from the brands site or an official distributor - must be a couple of hundred dollars there that they got out of me from this MLE thread?)
I think it is as long as mad doesn't post it himself. I'm already a patron btw.
Before I came here I used a steelseries gaming headset plugged straight into my motherboard.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2018 at 9:06 AM Post #40,583 of 48,560
Before I came here I used a steelseries gaming headset plugged straight into my motherboard.

I had a Tritton something with a bloody confusing optical input surround sound break out box headphone with 10?? small drivers that were meant to make a true 5.1 experience.

It's honestly the only regret I have in all my headphone searches.

It was so bad I decided to search for a better option.

Found this thread, got the 2012? Astro Mixamp (when it was current) - was a PITA to get delivered to Australia - and a set of HD598's

Then I got the itch of upgrade-itis, was the start of my downfall.

Tossed the Trittons in the garbage, but still have every single other step along the way sitting on a shelf somewhere.

Lots of people blame Massdrop for their loss of control - MLE is my crack addiction

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2018 at 9:31 AM Post #40,584 of 48,560
I had a Tritton something with a bloody confusing optical input surround sound break out box headphone with 10?? small drivers that were meant to make a true 5.1 experience.

It was so bad I decided to search for a better option.

Found this thread, got the 2012? Astro Mixamp (when it was current) - was a PITA to get delivered to Australia - and a set of HD598's

Then I got the itch of upgrade-itis, was the start of my downfall.

Tossed the Trittons in the garbage, but still have every single other step along the way sitting on a shelf somewhere.

Lots of people blame Massdrop for their loss of control - MLE is my crack addiction

Sounds a bit too familiar alltough it seems that I dodged the worst itch

My first gaming headset was Sharkoon X-Tatic 8 drivers "real" digital surround sound bs thing. Luckily it broke and I got all my money back. After that (2011-2012) it was Astro MixAmp ModMic and HD 598's. Yep. I allso found this thread... :beyersmile:

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2018 at 9:51 AM Post #40,585 of 48,560

Aww common don't be hating on Tritton now.. :) to be honest at the time they had their AX360 there really wasn't anything out that was good in terms of surround and positioning cues.

I have a love hate relationshio with Astro, i utterly detest their hedsets, but I have had many of their MixAmp iterations over the years and been fairly satisfied with them. My old Mixamp 5.8 still works, though unusable for chat due to the nazi noise gate. The lastest Mixamp is excellent, for chat is superior to any of the previous versions by far, surround is the same Dolby Headphone which is quite good for positioning cues but very hollow in sound.

Jul 27, 2018 at 10:09 AM Post #40,586 of 48,560
Aww common don't be hating on Tritton now.. :) to be honest at the time they had their AX360

You're right - I underestimated how long ago Tritton touched me in the bad place.

This was the unit I bought

https://au.pcmag.com/controllers-accessories-products/56446/gallery/tritton-ax-pro

The AX360's were acceptable,

I think I was lucky that I went the
(2011-2012) Astro MixAmp ModMic and HD 598's.
at a time where the MixAmp was the good one.

Thanks to this thread.

Jul 27, 2018 at 12:16 PM Post #40,587 of 48,560
I think we all have a similar story. I'm sure anybody who has gone down the rabbit hole of VSS gaming has found this thread in one way or another. I know I've told a handful of people to check it out if they want a new headset.

I remember having the AX360's..They sounded like doodoo, and fit the same, but I could pinpoint footsteps in CoD2 like nobody's business. Then I upgraded to Turtle Beach HPX, which are still one of my favorites in terms of positional cues. I then got a mixamp paired with Razer Orcas, and used those for a long while before finally grabbing a pair of AD700's..It just goes on and on and on.

Thanks MLE!

Jul 27, 2018 at 12:41 PM Post #40,588 of 48,560
Lol, I also had a Mixamp (2011 and 2013) paired with HD598. Is this the most popular surround sound combo here?

Jul 27, 2018 at 1:00 PM Post #40,589 of 48,560
Lol, I also had a Mixamp (2011 and 2013) paired with HD598. Is this the most popular surround sound combo here?

It's still an honest, legit solution

Whatever anyone thinks of Astro - the MixAmp they had back then still cuts the cheese. Maybe more than the newer ones do.

The HD598's will be the last headphones I ever get rid of - and never hesitate to recommend them to anyone looking to move up from wherever they are now.

ModMics though - spent more time trying to get them sorted than I want to admit.

Love the idea, but damn they caused me pain.

Have got a PC37X?? (whatever the massdrop version is) now that just works - pick that up now if I ever need to chat and play.

Jul 27, 2018 at 1:02 PM Post #40,590 of 48,560
It's still an honest, legit solution

Whatever anyone thinks of Astro - the MixAmp they had back then still cuts the cheese. Maybe more than the newer ones do.

The HD598's will be the last headphones I ever get rid of - and never hesitate to recommend them to anyone looking to move up from wherever they are now.

ModMics though - spent more time trying to get them sorted than I want to admit.

Love the idea, but damn they caused me pain.

Have got a PC37X?? (whatever the massdrop version is) now that just works - pick that up now if I ever need to chat and play.
I miss the Mixamp a lot. It sounded so much worse than the X7 but damn was it easy to use and convenient. And everything just worked straight out of the box. No random volume spikes, no finicky app to control game/chat balance, it just worked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back