Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
May 22, 2018 at 10:34 AM Post #40,261 of 48,561
Its closed vs open so that introduces way too much contrast in sounds presentation.

One good thing I can say about closed headphones is that when they have large soundstage like the MMX300, the virtual surround accuracy and cues may actually be BETTER than on open headphones due to no interference from external noises.

I can at the very least tell you the impressions on the GSX1000 are mainly positive. GSX surround itself is a definite positive.

If you were going to suggest a closed headphone for gaming, would it be the MMX300? or at least a good place to start?

May 22, 2018 at 10:53 AM Post #40,262 of 48,561
If you were going to suggest a closed headphone for gaming, would it be the MMX300? or at least a good place to start?

It really depends on if you prefer bassier headphones and specific frequency curves. The MMX300 is more focused on bass and treble. Midrange is a little spaced back. This may not be to your liking.

I honestly don't have a headphone in the price range that is closed and would suit a balanced headphones needs. I apologize due to the fact that I mainly review open headphones.

May 22, 2018 at 10:56 AM Post #40,263 of 48,561
Its closed vs open so that introduces way too much contrast in sounds presentation.

One good thing I can say about closed headphones is that when they have large soundstage like the MMX300, the virtual surround accuracy and cues may actually be BETTER than on open headphones due to no interference from external noises.

I can at the very least tell you the impressions on the GSX1000 are mainly positive. GSX surround itself is a definite positive.

Did you ever take the Sony MDR-Z7 into consideration as a closed can for gaming? IMHO it is a great choice. Great bass for immersion, wide soundstage, wider than lots of open cans easy to drive and comfortable like not many others.

May 22, 2018 at 10:57 AM Post #40,264 of 48,561
It really depends on if you prefer bassier headphones and specific frequency curves. The MMX300 is more focused on bass and treble. Midrange is a little spaced back. This may not be to your liking.

I honestly don't have a headphone in the price range that is closed and would suit a balanced headphones needs. I apologize due to the fact that I mainly review open headphones.

Not a problem at all! My tastes favor bassier and midrange over screaming treble.

May 22, 2018 at 11:05 AM Post #40,265 of 48,561
May 22, 2018 at 11:19 AM Post #40,267 of 48,561
Did you ever take the Sony MDR-Z7 into consideration as a closed can for gaming? IMHO it is a great choice. Great bass for immersion, wide soundstage, wider than lots of open cans easy to drive and comfortable like not many others.

Nah. I mean I wouldn't be against reviewing them, but I don't give headphones with leather pafp much thought unless a company approaches me to give them a try.

Not a problem at all! My tastes favor bassier and midrange over screaming treble.

While the MMX300 doesn't have screaming treble, it does have some sizzle up top that probably won't suit your preferences.

Perhaps you may wanna give a Beyerdynamic Custom Game a try. Put some DT770 velours for it for a bigger soundstage and I say they're really nice, and you can adjust bass to your preference. I REALLY like them for the price. Its the same as the Custom Pro I reviewed but with a detachable mic cable very much like the Boom Pro. In fact even the Boom Pro fits it.

The review didn't have the impressions of it with the 770 velour pads, but I assure you, it works well. Sounds clearer and more spacious.

May 22, 2018 at 11:52 AM Post #40,268 of 48,561
Those look awesome! I think that's a bit out of my price range though. If I was going to spring for something like that, I'd end up getting some HD800s possibly :)
You can have them used for 300$

May 22, 2018 at 11:57 AM Post #40,269 of 48,561
Nah. I mean I wouldn't be against reviewing them, but I don't give headphones with leather pafp much thought unless a company approaches me to give them a try.

While the MMX300 doesn't have screaming treble, it does have some sizzle up top that probably won't suit your preferences.

Perhaps you may wanna give a Beyerdynamic Custom Game a try. Put some DT770 velours for it for a bigger soundstage and I say they're really nice, and you can adjust bass to your preference. I REALLY like them for the price. Its the same as the Custom Pro I reviewed but with a detachable mic cable very much like the Boom Pro. In fact even the Boom Pro fits it.

The review didn't have the impressions of it with the 770 velour pads, but I assure you, it works well. Sounds clearer and more spacious.

Got it! Thank you!

May 22, 2018 at 12:36 PM Post #40,272 of 48,561
Quick question...anyone bought Dolby Atmos from the Windows store and tried to use that for VSS?
I got the free trial, but turning on spatial and whatever didn't change the sound. Dunno why.

May 22, 2018 at 12:44 PM Post #40,273 of 48,561
I did.
Preferred the inbuilt Windows Sonic from what I can remember.

Was only with a couple of games and downloaded movies I had on the lappy though, so probably not with the best media to let it show its strengths.

Was only about $10'ish?/

May 22, 2018 at 1:36 PM Post #40,274 of 48,561
I'm here trying it on Destiny 2, and it's 100% not doing anything. It's stereo as stereo comes. This is annoying.

May 22, 2018 at 1:40 PM Post #40,275 of 48,561
Quick question...anyone bought Dolby Atmos from the Windows store and tried to use that for VSS?
I bought it, it works just fine. But it needs Atmos coded material to really shine. The built in sonic is also quite good. For 5.1 or 7.1 material I prefer the GTX solution right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back