Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Feb 21, 2021 at 7:19 PM Post #46,367 of 48,561
I'm honestly surprised Super X-Fi does not get more play on this thread. It is really the best consumer level virtual surround product I have heard, and I have heard almost everything mentioned in this thread. My X7, G6, Steelseries GameDAC, Mixamp... all are sitting in a box on a shelf in my garage (or the digital equivalent for all the software alternatives) while my little Creative Super X-Fi dongle just kills it in every PC game I throw at it.

Everyone's ears are different and all, but I really encourage people to try it.
Wow, I actually have one of these sitting in a box in the garage.

Feb 21, 2021 at 11:14 PM Post #46,368 of 48,561
Quick question! Please help.
What will be better in sound quality?
2) Creative G6 + headphones (Meze 99 classics)
If you can go wired, go wired. Only go wireless is you WANT wireless. That being said, I know nothing about the Meze 99. I KNOW the Penrose sounds phenomenal, though it has its issues that are well documented on the Penrose thread here onn headfi.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2021 at 1:16 AM Post #46,370 of 48,561
I am, just wish it was south of $1k.

I may get a chance to review in the future.

I really do want one, but definitely not in my price range

Feb 23, 2021 at 1:23 AM Post #46,371 of 48,561
Hi MLE,

I'm looking for new headphones for ps5

Currently I'm using wh-1000xm4 wired to the dual sense for playing ps5. I tried to test it by playing hosikawa - bubbles on youtube on PS, and the sound is loud, but it's very muddy and voice breaking in high volume, compared to playing it on handphone via Bluetooth. Is the dual sense 3.5 mm jack on dual sense not worthed for using wired headphones and I should be looking for a wireless headphone?

I also searched for ps5 compatible dac/amp such as jds labs atom & Soundblaster x g6 unfortunately the price on my local online shop is pretty marked up compared to official website so I believe that it's not worthed to buy it.

Thank you for your kind response MLE.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2021 at 1:32 AM Post #46,373 of 48,561
Anyone excited about the Sennheiser/Drop HD8XX for competitive FPS gaming? They say it is based on the HD800S and sells for $1100.
Current HD800S is "on sale" for $1399 and it comes with the balanced cable (which Sennheiser sells for $300!) Massdrop version is $300 cheaper than that. But it does not come with the (exorbitantly priced) balanced cable so it's kind of a wash. That with the different tuning and the fact it doesn't ship until November, makes me feel like if you wanted a new HD800S, I see no reason to wait that long just to save $300 (presuming you had no need for the balanced cable...) If you're willing to spend that money on a new HD800S just buy the real thing now while it's *cough gag* "on sale" for $1399... It's a ton of cash either way why scrimp at this level? Or just buy used and save real money.

If they'd released an HD8XX at like $900 I think they'd have a clear winner on their hands. Or even done a traditional "Massdrop" or group buy for discount of the real HD800S. If the HD800S goes back to MSRP of $1700 and when the HD8XX goes up to $1200 (what drop says it will sell for after this initial drop) it might make sense but for a lot of people the balanced cable not being included won't make it as good a deal.

To me as is this looks like their own little kickstarter for a very expensive new addition to their product line. For stuff like the THX amp or the SDAC they did this too but they were a way more affordable price bracket while still being sleek looking quality "audiophile" components. But for this price range it makes less sense as a buyer, to me. Just get the real thing if you want it now in my opinion.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2021 at 3:41 AM Post #46,376 of 48,561
Hi MLE,

I'm looking for new headphones for ps5

Currently I'm using wh-1000xm4 wired to the dual sense for playing ps5. I tried to test it by playing hosikawa - bubbles on youtube on PS, and the sound is loud, but it's very muddy and voice breaking in high volume, compared to playing it on handphone via Bluetooth. Is the dual sense 3.5 mm jack on dual sense not worthed for using wired headphones and I should be looking for a wireless headphone?

I also searched for ps5 compatible dac/amp such as jds labs atom & Soundblaster x g6 unfortunately the price on my local online shop is pretty marked up compared to official website so I believe that it's not worthed to buy it.

Thank you for your kind response MLE.

Sennheiser HD 599 on sale or 560s if you can spend a little more

The DualSense is good enough to drive the 599

Worry about a dac/amp later

Feb 23, 2021 at 4:21 AM Post #46,377 of 48,561
Sennheiser HD 599 on sale or 560s if you can spend a little more

The DualSense is good enough to drive the 599

Worry about a dac/amp later

Thank you for your response.

What do you think about HD599 or HD560s compared dt990 32 ohm? I see in the front page the fun score for dr990 is 8.5 but I can't find the score for HD599 & HD560s. Btw mostly I will playing single player game/campaign mode.

However price of the headphone of HD 599 & HD 560s is also marked up my country (eqv. $305 for hd599,
HD599, eqv. $230 for hd599 SE, & $300 for hd560s).

Feb 23, 2021 at 4:26 AM Post #46,378 of 48,561
I said in the main page, If it's not on the page, I haven't experienced them. I also don't do scores anymore for the reason that people look at scores and completely ignore everything else, disregarding the fact that the scores are not meant to be compared to one another, and are only there to give you an idea of how I feel about the headphone as it pertains to itself. But since people never, ever listen to me about that, I just stopped doing them altogether. I was going to remove all the scores entirely but some people asked me not to, but the sake of historical preservation of the guide, I guess.

My guide could use a complete restructuring to make it easier for you all, but unfortunately I don't have the patience or time for that. So nowadays I just put up new reviews as they come, with no purpose other than to give you gus my opinions on said headphones, and not how they stack up to others.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2021 at 5:01 PM Post #46,380 of 48,561
Been awhile since I've been on here, but itching to try Super X-Fi. Right now i have a Sound Blaster X7 w/ full set of Sparkos op amps, powering a pair of HD800.

So, what's the better buy: X3 or Super X-Fi dongle?

I use a wireless Modmic, so I'm leaning towards the dongle as I won't need the mic input. Can I double amp the dongle using my X7, or vice versa with the X3? I'd hate to downgrade the sound quality coming from my X7 with Sparkos.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back