Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jan 6, 2021 at 11:55 PM Post #46,067 of 48,561
That dac/amp doesn't have much power, vastly limiting your choices in Headphones. Fire I've, I certainly wouldn't pair the K702 with it.

Maybe a Sennheiser 560S

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2021 at 6:26 AM Post #46,069 of 48,561
Lets imagine then that power is not a issue. What would be your opinion. Aren't the AKG K712 better than the K702?
They're different. And fall under preference.

Jan 7, 2021 at 8:57 AM Post #46,071 of 48,561
Lets just say for immersion. For competitive and so i allready have the ATH-AD700. For games like Assassins Creed, Doom, Wolfstein, etc.

i have the K702

great for open world games like Assassin's Creed, RDR, Witcher, etc

haven't heard the K712, but people say it's a bit fuller sounding, with more bass/mid bass

so, i'd go with that for more linear games like Doom and Wolfenstein, Uncharted, etc

depending on where you live, ofc. they're more expensive on US

also: the stock pads on the K702 are crap. had to mod mine to make them comfortable

the K712 have memory foam pads by default. take that into consideration

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2021 at 9:05 AM Post #46,072 of 48,561
Thank you very much for the reviews! I'm not usually very active on here, but I have to say that your review on the DT990s were the reason why I purchased them a while back.

I've used Creative products for the longest time, I could even say that except for a brief foray with the Astro A50s, I've exclusively used Creative and their CMSS-3D/SBX for the last few years. Currently, I am using the AE-9 with DT990s (600Ohm) connected to the AE-9s ACM (break out box). While the sound is great, I've been having issues with the AE-9, to the point that I am looking for alternatives.

(Long story short: I had to RMA an AE-9 recently because the XLR port was not working, and the card has this tendency to not turn on sometimes when I turn on my PC. I got a new AE-9, thinking of keeping it for another year of warranty while selling my RMA replacement on eBay, but the new card has the same issue: oftentimes, it does not turn on when I turn on the PC. I'm a systems builder myself, so any and all possible troubleshooting steps have been taken to no avail... it just happens randomly. This has happened across three different motherboards on both cards, so I'm basically tired of dealing with it).

That being said: My main usage case is PC gaming, with music on the side. Virtual surround is a must have, for I do not play games in stereo mode. So... I am considering getting the Audeze Mobius for my PC. Your review seems to really recommend this headset, but I'll ask anyway: compared to SBX, would you say I'd notice much of a difference in VSS? Creative's SBX has a lot of "oomph" when it comes to in-game sounds (explosions/gunfire, for example. I recently tried Dolby/DTS Headphone, Spatial Sound Card, and Boom3D, and the sounds on those felt muted in comparison with SBX. I'm no expert! Just what my ears tell me. The best one of those was Spatial Sound Card, at least to my ears. But still not as punchy as SBX)

Alternatively: I've been considering a DAC/AMP combo for my DT990s, then use Spatial Sound Card (or similar) for surround. The Audeze Mobius, however, seem like they tick all the boxes. An excellent all-in-one solution based on what you wrote here :) I should note, that I intend to use them on PS5 whenever I can get my hands on that console. Console gaming is secondary to me, so I do not mind playing only on Stereo on console. PC is the priority.

Edit: What about Penrose + Dolby/Spatial Sound Card? Would that be a viable alternative as well?

What do you think? Thank you!

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2021 at 2:39 PM Post #46,076 of 48,561
i have been using the X2HR's now. curious about what might be considered an upgrade to these without needing to buy any additional amp/dacs, with a budget (figurately) around $200. what i would want to upgrade would be the sound only, as the comfort is acceptable. what i'm looking for sound-wise would be something with as much bass/sub bass but not more, i am even willing to sacrifice a little thump if necessary. the mids would need to be more forward. the treble, preferably softer, or around the same, but no harsher.

with all that being said, is my only real option as far as sound and budget, something like the drop 6xx? are there truly no other options?

thanks

Jan 8, 2021 at 1:37 AM Post #46,077 of 48,561
Is there anyone who could possibly help me.
I've been using the audeze penrose with my ps5 and been very much enjoying the sound,
I was hoping I could use this with the Panasonic ub820 4k bluray player but unsure of the best way to set this up to get the best sound.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

Jan 8, 2021 at 4:04 AM Post #46,078 of 48,561
i have been using the X2HR's now. curious about what might be considered an upgrade to these without needing to buy any additional amp/dacs, with a budget (figurately) around $200. what i would want to upgrade would be the sound only, as the comfort is acceptable. what i'm looking for sound-wise would be something with as much bass/sub bass but not more, i am even willing to sacrifice a little thump if necessary. the mids would need to be more forward. the treble, preferably softer, or around the same, but no harsher.

with all that being said, is my only real option as far as sound and budget, something like the drop 6xx? are there truly no other options?

thanks
560s

Jan 8, 2021 at 8:50 AM Post #46,079 of 48,561
560 would have harsher treble, which they don't want.

Considering the X2 is a $250+ headphone to begin with (only being discounted after being around so long), there is a no clear upgrade, IMHO. You'd have to spend at least $400-$500 to move up the ladder.

All you're gonna get at around $200 is things that sound DIFFERENT, not BETTER. Sidegrades, not upgrades.

Maybe look into planar headphones.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2021 at 6:11 PM Post #46,080 of 48,561
Okay,
I’ve had the G6 about a week now.
I just can’t seem to get on with it.
VSS just sounds too close to my ears and I can’t seem to pinpoint footsteps/boxes/distance of gunfire like I could.
I’ve just reverted back to the mixamp pro 2013.

I don’t want to give up on it so any tips would be great. Do I just need to adjust!?

My reference point is Warzone...

Here’s what I’ve tried so far:

PS5

G6 - USB to back port on PS5
G6 - optical to Samsung Nu8000 (Sound output - HDMI)

PS5 settings
Input: G6
Output: G6
HDMI Device Type: AV - 7.1ch
Output to Headphones Chat
Audio Format (priority) Bitstream (Dolby)

‘Sound Blaster Command

SBX Profile

I’ve tried many combinations during a full game:

- Just Surround on @ 100%
- Just Surround @ 67%
- Just Surround @ 20%
- Just Surround @ 0%

- Surround @ 67% / Crystalizer @ 67% / Bass @ 20 % / Smart Vol - Night

Gaming Preset
Call of Duty Series Preset
FPS Preset

And possibly more but didn’t jot them down.

Equaliser

Have toggled this on/off with all above (prefer on)
Fixed Band EQ

Playback
Headphones: Virtual 7.1 Surround
Direct mode: off
Filters: Fast Roll off - minimum phase
Audio Quality: 32 Bit, 96 kHz

Decoder
Full
Not sure what this does?

Rest of the settings untouched - am I missing something?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back