Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Nov 23, 2020 at 11:32 AM Post #45,646 of 48,561
I’m also new here and find myself both excited and overwhelmed by the information here. I’ve been reading the detailed reviews and am just so impressed by the content here.

I’m coming from a SteelSeries H Wireless headset that sounded pretty good to my inexperienced ears. I’m realizing that I’m one of the victims of console marketing and can get a better headset for the same money or less.

After catching up on mad envy’s latest reviews and discussions in this thread, I’m enticed by both the Audeze Penrose and the PC38X. Here area couple of questions:

1. It sounds like the PC38X is an efficient headset. Is it efficient enough to plug in directly to PS5 dual sense controller or will I need something else to drive it?

2. The Audeze Penrose sounds pretty cool and checks most of the boxes I’m interested in. If I purchased the Penrose X, would I be able to use it for both the PS5 and Series X? I’m assuming it doesn’t say it supports PS5 due to licensing requirements.

Thanks all! Happy listening!

Nov 23, 2020 at 11:58 AM Post #45,647 of 48,561
I’m also new here and find myself both excited and overwhelmed by the information here. I’ve been reading the detailed reviews and am just so impressed by the content here.

I’m coming from a SteelSeries H Wireless headset that sounded pretty good to my inexperienced ears. I’m realizing that I’m one of the victims of console marketing and can get a better headset for the same money or less.

After catching up on mad envy’s latest reviews and discussions in this thread, I’m enticed by both the Audeze Penrose and the PC38X. Here area couple of questions:

1. It sounds like the PC38X is an efficient headset. Is it efficient enough to plug in directly to PS5 dual sense controller or will I need something else to drive it?

2. The Audeze Penrose sounds pretty cool and checks most of the boxes I’m interested in. If I purchased the Penrose X, would I be able to use it for both the PS5 and Series X? I’m assuming it doesn’t say it supports PS5 due to licensing requirements.

Can answer point 1 for you as I've been switching between the PC38x and Tygr 300r via the Dualsense. PC38x gets more than loud enough for me via the controller - that's not to say the quality can't be improved with something like the Creative G6 but the pad should suffice for most :)

Nov 23, 2020 at 2:43 PM Post #45,648 of 48,561

1. It is an efficient headphone, but the controller won't have much headroom. It's worth trying out first, and consider an amp in the future if for some reason it isn't. I'm not able to test as I no longer have the 38X on hand.

2. You hit the nail on the head. Likely due to licensing agreements, Audeze can't officially state that the X which has the USB transmitter with Xbox support toggle switch can support the PS5. However, nothing is stopping general UAC1 devices from working with PS5, and the Penrose X toggle states Xbox on one side and PC on the other. The PC side is likely UAC1 USB mode, because at this moment it DOES work with PS5 as well.

So if you intend on owning both Xbox and PS5, the Penrose X is the logical choice. THAT BEING SAID, it doesn't mean that the ability to work on PS5 will always be there, so just a word of warning. If you plan on getting the Penrose X, consider the PS5 functionality as a nice bonus that isn't OFFICIALLY supported, and may not work down the line.

If you don't plan on owning on Xbox, SERIOUSLY, don't risk it, and just get the non-X Penrose.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2020 at 2:46 PM Post #45,649 of 48,561
@WhiteHartMart !! Thanks for the quick answer about the PC38X!!

I got an answer from Audeze support about the Penrose X that I think is safe to share:
"Penrose X was designed and licensed for Xbox, and Penrose was designed specifically for PlayStation. Since PlayStation currently does not require security protocol for USB headsets, Penrose X may be compatible, but we have no way to know if this will remain the case."

My assumption would be that Sony wouldn't want to make that sort of change post launch, but who knows.

@Mad Lust Envy That makes total sense, thanks for the reply.

Here's a thought though.. Is the Penrose (non x version) presented as a general UAC1 usb or this there something more going on there? If Sony decided to add a requirement for a security protocol, what would that mean for existing devices like the Penrose (non x version)? I guess they could also implement a whitelist of specific usb vendor and product IDs.

Nov 24, 2020 at 6:20 AM Post #45,651 of 48,561
Another newbie :beyersmile:
Thank you for the wealth of information here!

I’m looking for recommendations on new headphones...
  • For use on the PS5 solely.
  • FPS - Competitive only - ie Warzone / Apex / Cold War (use a 5.1 Home Theatre for immersive games/audio/films etc)
  • Max budget £200 UK GBP (happy with 2nd hand and would prefer cheapest option of course)

Currently running Astro A40 & Mixamp Pro 2013 which have done me well for 7 years!
Would ideally like to keep the Mixamp...
But open to suggestions against and alternatives.
I’m so used to the Mixamps surround sound for directional cues and footstep whoring, I’d be worried to lose it.

Thanks in advance to any advice and suggestions.

Nov 24, 2020 at 7:25 AM Post #45,652 of 48,561
Another newbie :beyersmile:
Thank you for the wealth of information here!

I’m looking for recommendations on new headphones...
  • For use on the PS5 solely.
  • FPS - Competitive only - ie Warzone / Apex / Cold War (use a 5.1 Home Theatre for immersive games/audio/films etc)
  • Max budget £200 UK GBP (happy with 2nd hand and would prefer cheapest option of course)

Currently running Astro A40 & Mixamp Pro 2013 which have done me well for 7 years!
Would ideally like to keep the Mixamp...
But open to suggestions against and alternatives.
I’m so used to the Mixamps surround sound for directional cues and footstep whoring, I’d be worried to lose it.

Thanks in advance to any advice and suggestions.

Competitive....

Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro or 880
Sennheiser HD 560s

One of these will do

Nov 24, 2020 at 8:32 AM Post #45,659 of 48,561
Awesome, will look into these.
All good with the mixamp pro?
In all honesty I think the 3D audio on PS5 might have the edge. I've been testing 3D audio vs Dolby headphone (mixamp tr) for the past week.
Been testing on BOCW and MW. Surprised to find the positional cues were accurate on MW, was expecting it to sound pretty much stereo. On BOCW I've found positional accuracy with tempest to be on par with DH with the added benefit of vertical information.

One difference I've found is the dynamic range seems reduced with Tempest cf Dolby headphone. This was particularly apparent with MW, it was slightly easier to discern footsteps, whereas with the mixamp other sounds would mask footsteps more easily

Nov 24, 2020 at 8:40 AM Post #45,660 of 48,561
In all honesty I think the 3D audio on PS5 might have the edge. I've been testing 3D audio vs Dolby headphone (mixamp tr) for the past week.
Been testing on BOCW and MW. Surprised to find the positional cues were accurate on MW, was expecting it to sound pretty much stereo. On BOCW I've found positional accuracy with tempest to be on par with DH with the added benefit of vertical information.

One difference I've found is the dynamic range seems reduced with Tempest cf Dolby headphone. This was particularly apparent with MW, it was slightly easier to discern footsteps, whereas with the mixamp other sounds would mask footsteps more easily

This is great news, I hope it continues to be updated and become the standard.
As of right now I guess I’m lucky to have both.

My follow up question would be;
Will this affect my choice in headphones?
Is there a recommendation that would work well with both the mixamp and Tempest?
What is the best way to utilise Tempest? Through the controller? Or USB?
It is unfortunate that I cannot simply turn off ‘Dolby’ on the mixamp and turn on 3D audio (the option is greyed out - maybe an update soon to come).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back