Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Nov 19, 2020 at 2:47 PM Post #45,631 of 48,560
How does the "headphones though HDMI" work on the XBOX?
I have been away from console gaming for 20 years... but I am getting my son an XBOX Series X for his birthday, so interested to know :wink:

It just allows you to select the encoding method for the output (dolby atmos headphones, windows sonic, or dts headphone x), and then the audio track that is sent over hdmi is encoded with the option you selected.

This means if your xbox is plugged into a home theatre receiver, you should get virtual surround through the headphone jack, as long as the receiver isn't doing its own processing (some receivers do dolby headphone for instance).

If you plug your xbox into a monitor that has a 3.5mm jack output, then again the audio will be processed by the chosen processor.

Someone else may be able to clariftly whether it then sends multiple tracks (i.e. 2ch headphone + dolby digital at the same time)

Nov 19, 2020 at 4:01 PM Post #45,632 of 48,560
It just allows you to select the encoding method for the output (dolby atmos headphones, windows sonic, or dts headphone x), and then the audio track that is sent over hdmi is encoded with the option you selected.

This means if your xbox is plugged into a home theatre receiver, you should get virtual surround through the headphone jack, as long as the receiver isn't doing its own processing (some receivers do dolby headphone for instance).

If you plug your xbox into a monitor that has a 3.5mm jack output, then again the audio will be processed by the chosen processor.

Someone else may be able to clariftly whether it then sends multiple tracks (i.e. 2ch headphone + dolby digital at the same time)

That's exactly how it works.

(It doesn't send multiple tracks, just whatever you select.)

Nov 20, 2020 at 5:44 PM Post #45,635 of 48,560
Vss is encoded in stereo, so only 2 channels, so absolutely
But would you not require an actual 7.1 signal initially? As I thought the DSP downmixes the original full fat surround to a 2-channel vss output to headphones

In other words, I know 7.1 vss would be fine in this setup: Source --USB--> DSP --Optical--> DAC/AMP ---> Headphones

But what I'm wondering is if you can still get 7.1 vss this way: Source ---Optical---> DSP ---3.5mm---> Headphones

Nov 21, 2020 at 3:03 AM Post #45,636 of 48,560
But would you not require an actual 7.1 signal initially? As I thought the DSP downmixes the original full fat surround to a 2-channel vss output to headphones

In other words, I know 7.1 vss would be fine in this setup: Source --USB--> DSP --Optical--> DAC/AMP ---> Headphones

But what I'm wondering is if you can still get 7.1 vss this way: Source ---Optical---> DSP ---3.5mm---> Headphones

Aah gotcha, yeah I think optical only supports 6 channels.

Nov 21, 2020 at 2:03 PM Post #45,637 of 48,560
Would the Philips x3 be a good buy for immersive games like assassin creed Valhalla? They are currently on special for 250 CDN.
Does anyone know if the G6 will work with the series X with dolby atmos for headphones. Since we know it works with the PS5 i am curious if its worth the buy. I would like the penrose but between shipping and duties its crazy expensive.

thanks for the help

Nov 21, 2020 at 11:50 PM Post #45,638 of 48,560
Guys I noticed something with PS5 Tempest 3D Audio.

It distorts bass pretty noticeably. As in game explosions and anything that requires a lot of bass, makes any headphone sound robotic in the bass. It's definitely a 3D audio issue because if you set to stereo, it doesn't occur.

So keep that in mind. It's not your headphones, it's the 3D audio.

I noticed this while playing Black Ops. I tested the Penrose, and tested other headphones connected to the controller. They all exhibited the same issue...

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2020 at 1:58 AM Post #45,639 of 48,560

It distorts bass pretty noticeably. As in game explosions and anything that requires a lot of bass, makes any headphone sound robotic in the bass. It's definitely a 3D audio issue because if you set to stereo, it doesn't occur.

I noticed this while playing Black Ops. I tested the Penrose, and tested other headphones connected to the controller. They all exhibited the same issue...

MLE, have you already reviewed the Penrose somewhere?
I can’t find it on the first page.

Nov 22, 2020 at 8:03 PM Post #45,641 of 48,560

Does the console itself have a volume setting? Can you check if it goes away at lower volumes?

Nov 22, 2020 at 8:37 PM Post #45,642 of 48,560

No, optical is limited to 2 channels unless it is compressed, e.g. Dolby Digital.

Nov 22, 2020 at 11:44 PM Post #45,643 of 48,560
Does the console itself have a volume setting? Can you check if it goes away at lower volumes?

It does but I wasn't maxed out.

I'll keep looking into it.

Nov 23, 2020 at 9:58 AM Post #45,645 of 48,560
Probably a silly question, but I'm an audio noob... I've been thinking about buying an external DAC to use with the PS5, but would that mean it will "overwrite" whatever audio capabilities the PS5 has? So loss of 3D audio and would an external DAC still be worth it then?

Buy Creative G6

It allows you to use 3D audio through USB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back