Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Nov 13, 2020 at 3:12 PM Post #45,511 of 48,561
low ohm =/= easy to drive.

There are 20-ish ohm headphones that needs vastly more power than 600ohm headphones. Correlation some times, but causation, absolutely not.

To get a nice volume out of the 6XX, I needed to max out the G6 volume. If you think that's enough, well, I dunno what to tell you. Literally no headroom. So I'd definitely be cautious about what gear you have. You may find a G6 alone to not be enough.

I'd practice caution. Yes, easier to drive headphones should be fine for the G6 (and maybe the G5). But if you own multiple headphones, make sure they're not hard to drive.

I was simply stating my headphones and headsets are under 50ohm & easy to drive. Simple as that.

Nov 13, 2020 at 3:39 PM Post #45,512 of 48,561
Hey, all!

Wanted to put my two cents in; I have a JDS Labs Element 1st gen.

The PS5 *does* recognize it and it shows up as USB headphones. It allows me to select 3D audio and pick the "level" and everything.

However, no audio is output *at all* to it. Really freakin' weird. I expected it to work or not be recognized at all, not to be recognized but not work.

Right there with envy that I wish we could output "headphone" audio via hdmi.

Also, shoutout to envy; I saw you in Maximilian's stream a week or so ago!

Edit: plugged my Element back into my PC (last used it 3 days ago) and it seems to have actually just kicked the bucket. The USB port has been loose for quite some time and I guess I just jostled it enough between using it on my PC and hooking it up to my PS5 that it had enough.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2020 at 4:08 PM Post #45,514 of 48,561
Better 3D audio is fine, but it's still limited to a headphone headspace. VSS transforms to something else entirely.

3D audio may have vertical cues, which VSS does not. But in terms of rear audio legibility, I'd take VSS any time.

I've tried Black Ops Cold War and Astro's Playroom, so far. Both have it. Like I said, I really love it, but it wouldn't replace VSS for me.

It's different, and GREAT. But better? I'd argue not.

I'd get killed by people behind me much more with Tempest, than with VSS.

But I'd wager most general consumers WILL prefer Tempest. Because it affects a headphone's sound quality much less. With VSS you sacrifice quality for the benefit of surround speaker-like audio.
Thanks !
And what about it? Can you please try it?
“What’s about amp from dual sense? Amp power = DualShock 4? Or maybe dual sense has better amp for 3,5 jack for low ohm headphones?”

@stavros.m

Sorry, the Mobius is picked up only as a Microphone device. So it doesn't work.

Yup, just get a 3.5mm male to RCA male audio cable. 3.5mm to the G6's analog output on the rear, to the Magni 3's audio input.
Mobius bont work via usb? Omg! And what about new audeze Penrose? It’s work via usb connection by wireless?

Nov 13, 2020 at 11:42 PM Post #45,515 of 48,561
Guys, I have to say manage your expectations when using things like the G6 for the PS5. REMEMBER that the source volume is SUPER low, and you're brute forcing getting a decent volume with an amp. It's far from line level, so expect dynamics to possibly be a bit lower than on a decent source with a moderate line livel output. I haven't tested it enough to say its anything close to ideal in terms of sound quality.

Until Sony allows 3D audio through hdmi, this is just a workaround to get our gear working. I'll test out controller volume output with an amp to see just how much level you can get in that method.

Hey, all!

Wanted to put my two cents in; I have a JDS Labs Element 1st gen.

The PS5 *does* recognize it and it shows up as USB headphones. It allows me to select 3D audio and pick the "level" and everything.

However, no audio is output *at all* to it. Really freakin' weird. I expected it to work or not be recognized at all, not to be recognized but not work.

Right there with envy that I wish we could output "headphone" audio via hdmi.

Also, shoutout to envy; I saw you in Maximilian's stream a week or so ago!

Edit: plugged my Element back into my PC (last used it 3 days ago) and it seems to have actually just kicked the bucket. The USB port has been loose for quite some time and I guess I just jostled it enough between using it on my PC and hooking it up to my PS5 that it had enough.
Yeah, I frequent Max's channel. It's hard getting through to him in terms of audio though. 🤣 My voice in a literal sea of thousands of comments. He does tend to see my comments from time to time. I tried helping him with the PS5 3D audio but it didn't quite reach him.

Sorry about the Element dying on you. :frowning2:

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2020 at 11:50 PM Post #45,516 of 48,561
Thanks !
And what about it? Can you please try it?
“What’s about amp from dual sense? Amp power = DualShock 4? Or maybe dual sense has better amp for 3,5 jack for low ohm headphones?”

Mobius bont work via usb? Omg! And what about new audeze Penrose? It’s work via usb connection by wireless?
I'll test out the controller output and with an amp when I get home from work in 8-ish hours.

The Penrose works perfectly with the PS5. I mean it's supposed to lol. It was designed for the PS5.

Nov 14, 2020 at 4:07 AM Post #45,518 of 48,561
You can plug any amplifier to any headphone jack. However, a headphone jack is already pre-amplified, so adding another amplifier is detrimental to sound quality, and should mainly be done only as last resorts when there's no other option.

Why is it detrimental? Because whatever imperfections the headphone jack has (like potential noise, hiss, distortion, etc), is then amplified by your amp. This is why you typically want to avoid connecting amps to headphone jacks. Not sure how well performing the controller's internal amp is.

Plenty of amps that instead of rca inputs use 3.5mm inputs, like the G6.

If it were ideal, we wouldn't be having this conversation about trying to find a method with the ps5 that DOESN'T include connecting to the controller jack.

If you're referring to using an amplifier that doesn't need any other cable but JUST a cable to the headphone jack, there's plenty of internal battery powered portable amps. The old Fiio E12 literally on the first page of this guide is one of them.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2020 at 4:11 AM Post #45,519 of 48,561
Any headphone amp indeed, desktop or portable or full size.
You don't even need a 3,5mm input, you can use a 3,5mm to RCA cable available anywhere.
Usually, best practice would be to max out the power on the first amp (the controller) and then use the volume control on the second amp.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2020 at 6:15 AM Post #45,524 of 48,561
Hey MLE just stopping by to say thank you for all your hard work over the years to keeping this guide updated. Appreciate your thorough reviews as well. Cheers. :beerchug:
Ah that's really nice to hear, thank you so much! ✌

Users who are viewing this thread

Back