Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Nov 9, 2020 at 6:33 PM Post #45,421 of 48,562
Is the normal K702 that you can buy on Amazon the same as the K701 reviewed here? I know you have a K702 65th Anniversary Edition on the list and said it was more like the Q701, but I'm looking for the competitive gaming performance of the K701. Also it is true the new no bump and 8 bump K701 that's on Amazon is not as good for gaming as the old K701? I'm playing Warzone on PC and wanting to get the best positional headphones possible.

i have the K702. Never had the K701

People say they're similar in sound

Nov 10, 2020 at 9:47 AM Post #45,425 of 48,562
Just a quick one: do I have to tick the surround box under windows enhancements when using atoms for headphones, or it that a separate thing and will cause double processing?

Nov 10, 2020 at 11:06 AM Post #45,426 of 48,562
Thanks to @dandiego here, I'll be hopefully receiving the PS5 soon. Which I'll be testing for functionality with the Penrose, Mobius, Modi/Magni 3, Hel.

It's all thanks to him that I'll be able to do this. :)

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2020 at 11:43 AM Post #45,427 of 48,562
Thanks to @dandiego here, I'll be hopefully receiving the PS5 soon. Which I'll be testing for functionality with the Penrose, Mobius, Modi/Magni 3, Hel.

It's all thanks to him that I'll be able to do this. :)
Gotta love the great people in this community :relaxed:

Nov 10, 2020 at 12:00 PM Post #45,428 of 48,562
He really saved the day, that's for sure. As far as I'm concerned he can bother me about what headphones to get at any time. :ksc75smile:

Nov 10, 2020 at 3:56 PM Post #45,429 of 48,562
Mainly FPS. From the reviews I've read, the 177x Soundstage seems to be on par with the 6xx (which is good not great) but the 177x seem to have excellent imaging for positional audio.
I've owned enumerous headphones on the hunt for the perfect fps headphone and the 177x is far from the top. Soundstage is tolerable for a close back but the bass response is far too great drowning out the footsteps. Much better options for fps gaming

Nov 10, 2020 at 5:54 PM Post #45,430 of 48,562
Mainly FPS. From the reviews I've read, the 177x Soundstage seems to be on par with the 6xx (which is good not great) but the 177x seem to have excellent imaging for positional audio.
Did you mean DT 1990? That is the headphone I see recommended all the time for FPS.

Nov 10, 2020 at 6:28 PM Post #45,431 of 48,562
Hopefully my Fiio K5 Pro will work with the PS5 (unlikely). Back when I had the Fidelio X2 they were barely tolerable using the DS4 jack. I'll be getting my PS5 Monday so I'll be testing the K5 and the Dualsense controller output.

Nov 10, 2020 at 10:48 PM Post #45,432 of 48,562
Well, after the 5XX review and impressions, I'm at a bit of a loss. My HE-4XX headband is in absolutely terrible condition, but without a cost effective replacement available I'm basically stuck in new headphone territory, and unsure what to get. Currently leaning towards the K712 Pro, but also considering going in deep on the E-MU Teak, Fostex 610, or something alike.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2020 at 8:09 AM Post #45,433 of 48,562
Been lurking on this thread for years, purchasing a HD598 based on MLE's impressions. Paired with the Mixamp, they've been awesome for the 6 years I've used them.

With the PS5 coming out and the uncertainty around the USB capabilities, I thought I'd replace the 598 with the PC38x, I wanted less hassle and wires with the in-built mic, and perhaps the Dualsense would more easily drive them considering they have a lower impedence, 28 vs the 598's 50 ohms.

However, upon using the 38x I'm not particularly keen on them. Personally, I find them really uncomfortable. Despite the fact that my head is kinda small, the PC38x are really tight, and I mean too snug to be comfortable for even short gaming sessions for me. My ears just barely fit in the pads, which is a strange sensation being used to the bigger roomier pads of the 598 for so long.

In terms of comparing the competitiveness, I had assumed, based on various reviews, the PC38x would have the advantage.
But testing repeatedly on MW2019 both in private match with bots and in regular public matches, I was better able to discern audio cues with the HD598. But the 38x was very close (and do bear in mind that I am very familiar with the sound signature of the 598s in MW).

Curiously, with the mixamp on the same volume, the 598s were louder than the 38x. Considering their respective impedance measurements, this was not what I expected. It could just be the emphasis of certain tones, but to me the 598s were louder in every respect, leading me to believe they were easier to drive than the 38x.

All in all the PC38x are great, but severely let down by its comfort. Despite its convenience over the 598, the latter is infinitely more comfortable.

Nov 12, 2020 at 8:14 AM Post #45,434 of 48,562
Been lurking on this thread for years, purchasing a HD598 based on MLE's impressions. Paired with the Mixamp, they've been awesome for the 6 years I've used them.

With the PS5 coming out and the uncertainty around the USB capabilities, I thought I'd replace the 598 with the PC38x, I wanted less hassle and wires with the in-built mic, and perhaps the Dualsense would more easily drive them considering they have a lower impedence, 28 vs the 598's 50 ohms.

However, upon using the 38x I'm not particularly keen on them. Personally, I find them really uncomfortable. Despite the fact that my head is kinda small, the PC38x are really tight, and I mean too snug to be comfortable for even short gaming sessions for me. My ears just barely fit in the pads, which is a strange sensation being used to the bigger roomier pads of the 598 for so long.

In terms of comparing the competitiveness, I had assumed, based on various reviews, the PC38x would have the advantage.
But testing repeatedly on MW2019 both in private match with bots and in regular public matches, I was better able to discern audio cues with the HD598. But the 38x was very close (and do bear in mind that I am very familiar with the sound signature of the 598s in MW).

Curiously, with the mixamp on the same volume, the 598s were louder than the 38x. Considering their respective impedance measurements, this was not what I expected. It could just be the emphasis of certain tones, but to me the 598s were louder in every respect, leading me to believe they were easier to drive than the 38x.

All in all the PC38x are great, but severely let down by its comfort. Despite its convenience over the 598, the latter is infinitely more comfortable.

They are clampy at first. I suggest doing what I always do: fold a pillow and mount the headset to it overnight. Make sure when it's mounted that it's been stretched out a little. If you're worried about the pads, just snap then off before doing this.

This will loosen the clamp.

Nov 12, 2020 at 11:11 AM Post #45,435 of 48,562
With my 37X I had to stretch them quite a bit, holding an ear cup in each hand and pulling them away from each other. After that, I think they are plenty comfortable. I do wish Sennheiser would sell the 38X headband and fabric (not velour) earcups as replacement parts so I could try them on my 37X.

Side note, I received some MMCX modded KSC75's last week and have been using those lately. I think these will be my go to for non-competitive games like dungeon crawlers and such. Comfort is king for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back