Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Oct 29, 2020 at 10:54 PM Post #45,346 of 48,562
Forgive me for my newb questions, but is a dac/amp + HE-5xx or the Sennheiser 6xx not doable on a console like PS5? I'm going to be doing half my gaming on PS5, so would that mean I need headphones that do not require an amp? Also, would something like PS5 3d audio be possible with this combo?

Oct 30, 2020 at 12:19 AM Post #45,347 of 48,562
Forgive me for my newb questions, but is a dac/amp + HE-5xx or the Sennheiser 6xx not doable on a console like PS5? I'm going to be doing half my gaming on PS5, so would that mean I need headphones that do not require an amp? Also, would something like PS5 3d audio be possible with this combo?
Wondering the same thing. Most likely the tempest 3d audio can pass through usb dac amp.

Oct 30, 2020 at 1:36 AM Post #45,348 of 48,562
No one is going to know for sure until the new consoles are out. Patience.

3D audio via USB on PS5 has been confirmed but:

If your USB DAC didn't work on PS4, I'd be surprised if it works on PS5. If you have something standard like a USB sound card that works on PS4, I'm willing to bet it also works on PS5.

You can plug any 3.5mm headphone into the DualSense and get 3D audio. Whether you require an amp or not is dependent on what headphones you have and your own expectations from them. IMO, everything sounds better when properly amped.

Oct 30, 2020 at 2:44 AM Post #45,349 of 48,562
No one is going to know for sure until the new consoles are out. Patience.

3D audio via USB on PS5 has been confirmed but:

If your USB DAC didn't work on PS4, I'd be surprised if it works on PS5. If you have something standard like a USB sound card that works on PS4, I'm willing to bet it also works on PS5.

You can plug any 3.5mm headphone into the DualSense and get 3D audio. Whether you require an amp or not is dependent on what headphones you have and your own expectations from them. IMO, everything sounds better when properly amped.
Luckily, my dac amp is the sound blasterx g6 which works with ps4 so I hope it will work with ps5 as well and 3d audio can pass through. Will never use the port on controller. Utter crap.

Oct 30, 2020 at 3:56 AM Post #45,350 of 48,562
Offtopic question: Is Drop even worth iy for people outside the US?

depends where you are and whether you have to pay tax on imports. I've bought many things through drop, and haven't had to pay tax on anything (based in NZ), but I'm now in Europe, so suspect I'd get stung with VAT on entry, but sounds like it's just luck as to whether you get pinged or not.

Oct 30, 2020 at 5:03 AM Post #45,351 of 48,562
Offtopic question: Is Drop even worth iy for people outside the US?

Depends quite a bit on your local reseller / headphone prices. Sometimes, when there is a good clearance on drop.com (USA) it still makes sense to import the headphones to, say EU with +5% customs and say 20% VAT. Then again, many drops from USA, at their full price with extra for shipping + customs + VAT just become too expensive after imported to EU.

Of course, this is not just EU specific, you can plug in your own country's customs fee % for headphones and the VAT % and see if it makes sense.

Often it does not.

Oct 30, 2020 at 9:02 AM Post #45,353 of 48,562
Yes, I've connected the Penrose to my Modi 3's line out. The Xonar U3 feeding dolby headphone to the Modi 3. It was fine yesterday, but today I'm getting a lot of distortion through this connection. I'm certain its something to do with how weird the setup is. Or something glitchy with the Aux input on the Penrose's pre-production. Remember this is not a finalized Penrose, and there are kinks. In any case, you shouldn't be getting a Penrose if you plan on mainly using it through its AUX input, which defeats the purpose of having it be wireless to begin with. I'm merely testing it this way for the sake of testing.

Anyways, you can get Dolby atmos from the wireless connection through windows 10, though I don't like it anywhere near as much as Dolby Headphone.

The Penrose shouldn't have any problem getting whatever the PS5's virtual surround is gonna be. The Penrose is picked up by the PS4 natively as well.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2020 at 10:59 AM Post #45,354 of 48,562
Yes, I've connected the Penrose to my Modi 3's line out. The Xonar U3 feeding dolby headphone to the Modi 3. It was fine yesterday, but today I'm getting a lot of distortion through this connection. I'm certain its something to do with how weird the setup is. Or something glitchy with the Aux input on the Penrose's pre-production. Remember this is not a finalized Penrose, and there are kinks. In any case, you shouldn't be getting a Penrose if you plan on mainly using it through its AUX input, which defeats the purpose of having it be wireless to begin with. I'm merely testing it this way for the sake of testing.

Anyways, you can get Dolby atmos from the wireless connection through windows 10, though I don't like it anywhere near as much as Dolby Headphone.

The Penrose shouldn't have any problem getting whatever the PS5's virtual surround is gonna be. The Penrose is picked up by the PS4 natively as well.
thank you for the reply back

Oct 30, 2020 at 12:11 PM Post #45,355 of 48,562

R u going to make a detailed review for the audeze penrose just like how u did one for the hifiman he-55x

Oct 30, 2020 at 2:21 PM Post #45,358 of 48,562
R u going to make a detailed review for the audeze penrose just like how u did one for the hifiman he-55x
Of course. That's why they're sent to me.

Oct 30, 2020 at 9:54 PM Post #45,360 of 48,562
Of course. That's why they're sent to me.
Curious, do you know if the penrose works in low latency wireless on mobile via apple donger usb adapter / android equivalent?

Also great review for the he5xx! If you still remember the sound, can you compare the 5xx to the edition xx or the ananda?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back