Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jan 11, 2020 at 6:59 PM Post #43,651 of 48,561
Does anyone know which driver they used in the Sennheiser GSP 500/600 line and if there are any mods a person could do to make them faster? I'd consider camping or more in depth mods for these.

I know the G6 has that option, so I am going to assume the X7 does too. Check the Speakers config (Setup...Speakers...Output Mode), you should see an option for "Apply Headphone Virtualization to Line/Optical Out"

That works beautifully on the G6. You could use it to output a dsp stereo signal to another DAC/amp, which means you can have SBX already apply the virtual audio stream to your next DAC, and ultimately amp, which is the use-case here. It makes the signaling a lot cleaner and allows you to use more dacs and headphones down the chain that would otherwise be unable to be in a dsp signal chain. You can do this for console as well, which I have been doing for Blackout on the PS4. Nothing quite like better components and cans for gaming.
[merged]

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 11, 2020 at 7:49 PM Post #43,652 of 48,561
That works beautifully on the G6. You could use it to output a dsp stereo signal to another DAC/amp, which means you can have SBX already apply the virtual audio stream to your next DAC, and ultimately amp, which is the use-case here. It makes the signaling a lot cleaner and allows you to use more dacs and headphones down the chain that would otherwise be unable to be in a dsp signal chain. You can do this for console as well, which I have been doing for Blackout on the PS4. Nothing quite like better components and cans for gaming.

So this way I can using my main listening amp/dac combo with something like the G6, while retaining the VSS effect? I guess the DSP stere signal being output is the same one that a headphone would receive being plugged in directly into the G6? In this scenario the G6 is still receiving the non stereo signal intact right?

Jan 11, 2020 at 10:54 PM Post #43,653 of 48,561
So this way I can using my main listening amp/dac combo with something like the G6, while retaining the VSS effect? I guess the DSP stere signal being output is the same one that a headphone would receive being plugged in directly into the G6? In this scenario the G6 is still receiving the non stereo signal intact right?
The G6 takes the 7.1 audio, and transcodes it to HRTF Stereo, which it can either output to analog Line-Out or digital Optical-Out (up to 24/96 stereo). If optical out, this can be passed to your DAC of choice. As analog, you can pass it to your favorite amp, which is what I do.

Jan 12, 2020 at 12:24 PM Post #43,654 of 48,561
Does anyone know which driver they used in the Sennheiser GSP 500/600 line and if there are any mods a person could do to make them faster? I'd consider camping or more in depth mods for these.

What do you need to mod on them? Have both, like both as they are.

[merged]

The new X3 has the same option, here is the way to do it:
upload_2020-1-12_18-21-27.png

It seems to not work with the Super X-Fi mode though. Only with the standard SBX.

Jan 12, 2020 at 2:26 PM Post #43,656 of 48,561
I wasnt sure about this but does the X3 have normal VSS outside of Super X-fi? As in I can still use dolby from my games without using Super Xfi and using SBX instead?
It comes with the standard SBX sofftware suite, I think the latest and gratest version plus the Super X-fi. For that you need to have an extra chip which the X3 has.
So yoes your standard SBX is all there and available.

Jan 12, 2020 at 3:13 PM Post #43,657 of 48,561
It comes with the standard SBX sofftware suite, I think the latest and gratest version plus the Super X-fi. For that you need to have an extra chip which the X3 has.
So yoes your standard SBX is all there and available.

Thanks for the clarification, means I can use the standard SBX suite for gaming and the Super X-fi for video watching :)

Jan 12, 2020 at 4:18 PM Post #43,658 of 48,561
Thanks for the clarification, means I can use the standard SBX suite for gaming and the Super X-fi for video watching :)
You might want to try the Super X-Fi for gaming too. There is a risk that you might like it.

Jan 12, 2020 at 6:56 PM Post #43,659 of 48,561
You might want to try the Super X-Fi for gaming too. There is a risk that you might like it.

That is true, Is the mix amp feature on the X3 well implemented? I like plugging in my phone and listening to podcasts and twitch streams while I play and use the computer. After doing a bit of research it seems that the X3 has a habit of resetting its settings - I wonder how widespread that is, it certainly would be a pain in the rear to keep adjusting settings. Nonetheless, as soon as it is on amazon prime Canada, I intend on getting it. As it stands, out of the X3, X7, G5, and G6, only the G5 is on amazon prime. I really hope the X3 comes to amazon prime soon as the 2nd gen X-fi impressions from CES 2020 seem amazing!

Jan 13, 2020 at 5:19 PM Post #43,660 of 48,561
Looking to get rid of VSS and go full on stereo for my HD800S on my PC/XOX/PS4PRO. I feel like I’m not getting the highest quality sound out of my headphones because of all the processing. I am looking for some help on how I get the most direct unaltered stereo sound out of each console and PC. What settings should I be using on both devices to achieve this. I also want to try in game headphone processing to hear how that compares to SBX. As of now I am not happy with SBX and HD800S as I don’t hear as distinct of an advantage as others are describing with HD800S.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2020 at 2:58 AM Post #43,661 of 48,561
Looking to get rid of VSS and go full on stereo for my HD800S on my PC/XOX/PS4PRO. I feel like I’m not getting the highest quality sound out of my headphones because of all the processing. I am looking for some help on how I get the most direct unaltered stereo sound out of each console and PC. What settings should I be using on both devices to achieve this. I also want to try in game headphone processing to hear how that compares to SBX. As of now I am not happy with SBX and HD800S as I don’t hear as distinct of an advantage as others are describing with HD800S.
Regular stereo will give you even less of an advantage. But if you really want to then just buy a dac/amp with both optical and ub inputs and plug hd800s directly to that.

Jan 14, 2020 at 3:05 AM Post #43,662 of 48,561
I'd mod the PS4's HDMI and feed the audio through a custom I2S Design with a Dual ESS9038Pro DAC attached to it and a tube output section after the conversion for maximum holographicness.

It's the only way to defeat a blindfolded MLE sporting Porta Pros on his Mixamp 5.8 on a lazy, rainy Sunday afternoon.

Jan 14, 2020 at 6:50 AM Post #43,663 of 48,561
Regular stereo will give you even less of an advantage. But if you really want to then just buy a dac/amp with both optical and ub inputs and plug hd800s directly to that.
What are the optimal settings in the Xbox or PlayStation for VSS and Stereo? Is it bitstream DD for VSS and Uncompressed Stereo or should I not be using bitstream? Also any advantage in using Dolby Atmos or windows sonic settings in Xbox?

Jan 14, 2020 at 8:23 AM Post #43,664 of 48,561
Just set it to output regular stereo pcm, bitstream is to be used only if you want the X7 to process it with SBX. Although now that I've seen your sig I suspect the reason you're not getting expected results with your hd800s is that you're trying to drive them with an X7.

Jan 14, 2020 at 9:47 AM Post #43,665 of 48,561
Just set it to output regular stereo pcm, bitstream is to be used only if you want the X7 to process it with SBX. Although now that I've seen your sig I suspect the reason you're not getting expected results with your hd800s is that you're trying to drive them with an X7.
Now that I own the X3 I use it to power my HD800. It works quite well. Not audiophile endgame, but quite well. I talk about stereo use for music here. Why should a X7 be a problem with sound from a console then?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back