Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Dec 29, 2019 at 2:49 PM Post #43,578 of 48,561
I just wanted to ask i recently bought astro mixamp and akg 702 for my ps4 they are brilliant
but i need to buy a mic for party chat
I had a clip on mic i bought years ago what you guys here recomend to me but i recently gave away my old setup to my nepthew
So i need a new mic please could you recomend to go with my akg702 astro mixamp pro tr with ps4

ModMic

Dec 29, 2019 at 8:25 PM Post #43,580 of 48,561
I was wondering is Dolby Atoms superior to sound blaster G6 VSS? this is just for comp gaming related.
I own G6, Dolby atmos win 10, to be honest I cannot distinguish big differences between both... the only thing I know G6 as portable DAC AMP is a beast highly recommende, can run all kind of headphones and the "direct mode" + dolby atmos is a great combo. I have had Xduoo XD05 plus, Fiio K5 pro, Topping dx3 pro, and I've sold them cause I found this DAC much better.

Dec 29, 2019 at 11:57 PM Post #43,581 of 48,561
I own G6, Dolby atmos win 10, to be honest I cannot distinguish big differences between both... the only thing I know G6 as portable DAC AMP is a beast highly recommende, can run all kind of headphones and the "direct mode" + dolby atmos is a great combo. I have had Xduoo XD05 plus, Fiio K5 pro, Topping dx3 pro, and I've sold them cause I found this DAC much better.

Thank you appreciate it! Yea I have the G6 but I was wondering if Atoms is better since I hear people talking about it. I have been eyeing the Schiit Hel but I know it doesnt have VSS, so it seems G6 is still best all in one.

Dec 30, 2019 at 5:15 PM Post #43,582 of 48,561
I am currently deciding between the following 4 gaming headphones and the reviews on youtube haven't done much in the way of narrowing down my choices lol.

I will be exclusively gaming on the PC and will be swapping between amp/dac combo and an astro mixamp pro TR (just came in today, really excited to try it out with Battlefield V tonight).

I should preface this by saying that I am not at all concerned about mic quality, nor the price difference amongst the options, just looking to find out which ones would have best audio for gaming essentially.

Deciding between:
  1. HyperX Cloud 2
  2. Logitech G Pro X headset
  3. CoolerMaster MH751
  4. Drop x Sennheiser PC37X.

Lots of awesome helpful people in this thread, I would greatly appreciate any help in narrowing down my choices. For what it's worth, I will be selling off my HD600 to replace them with HD6XX, so if the HD6XX is better than the aforementioned choices, please do let me know.

Happy holidays and new year to everyone :)

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2019 at 5:43 PM Post #43,583 of 48,561
Do you prefer open or closed headphones? Out of that list I would go with the PC37X, but the Hyper X Clouds are a decent option for closed back at their price point. I have not tried the other two options listed. I'd skip the HD6XX for primarily FPS gaming.

Dec 31, 2019 at 12:30 AM Post #43,584 of 48,561
Im here with my own nightmare trying to find a good closed back headphones (for office and home) all in one (games, movies, music) with a decent price (max 300USD). Actually I own m40X, Fidelio x2hr.
any recommendation?
Thanks

Dec 31, 2019 at 11:21 AM Post #43,586 of 48,561
Im here with my own nightmare trying to find a good closed back headphones (for office and home) all in one (games, movies, music) with a decent price (max 300USD). Actually I own m40X, Fidelio x2hr.
any recommendation?
Thanks
Try the Sennheiser GSP600. It is a closed headset with a good microphone. I find it very comfortable to wear. It runs well from a mainboard if needed. The sound is quite good for music gaming and Skype.

Dec 31, 2019 at 11:40 AM Post #43,587 of 48,561
Continuation of the GSP 670 impressions:

I moved my PC back to my bedroom, connected the internet and the gamepad over cable, still get hiss and dropouts.
Positioning is pretty good (when the headset doesn't randomly switch to 2.0 mode). Walking around Velen (I finally gave up and bought W3) I can easily locate voices of npcs and grunts of monsters in the 3D space which is nice. Played a few hours of Apex Legends and was thoroughly impressed with positioning accuracy. However considering the fact the soundstage isn't that big I'd attribute the surround quality to the VSS algorithm itself and not to the headset.

Hardware game/voice balance is a brilliant feature and more headsets should use it.

Music sounds meh, lacks dynamics and punch. My Fiio FH5 (which can be had for half the price of the GSP670 now) sound livelier.

Overall, 5/10. It's not terrible but I expected better given the brand and the money. I'd love Sennheiser to take their VSS and implement it in a product that allows players to plug their own headphones while simultaneously retaining the wireless aspect of it (like the old Astro Mixamp 5.8). I'll see if I can return it and if yes I'll probably buy Astro, at least they use 5.8Ghz for audio transmission.

Dec 31, 2019 at 11:58 AM Post #43,588 of 48,561
Using the same settings, 2 different users hear it as in the video 00:53 vs 1:55. What could be the reason? We both enabled Binaural in-game settings, plugged in a stereo headphone, and enabled Dolby atmos in Windows. We both have same windows version and build number. Binaural does not seem to work for me (00:53) whereas it does for him (1:55). Using same game version and files off Steam.

Back up for a second, you are using binaural in game with dolby atmos for headphones in windows? That might be your problem, you are only supposed to have virtual surround sound once in the chain. Shouldn't have it enabled in game and in windows at the same time. Once it is binaural, you can't binaural-ize it again.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2019 at 12:14 PM Post #43,589 of 48,561
Back up for a second, you are using binaural in game with dolby atmos for headphones in windows? That might be your problem, you are only supposed to have virtual surround sound once in the chain. Shouldn't have it enabled in game and in windows at the same time. Once it is binaural, you can't binaural-ize it again.

But the other user has it working well as you can hear in 1:55 with the same settings. that's not the problem. His surround is activated while mine is not. Turning Dolby Atmos for headphones makes absolutely no difference for me in game. The game is locked to playing the same stereo sound no matter what combination of settings I use in Windows and in game. It is baffling. Whereas the other user has Binaural toggling properly. We have same everything.
For readers, we are referring to 00:53 vs 1:55 in the above video in RE2. Notice the sound of the falling shelf rack.

EDIT: What questions should I ask the other user to investigate the reason behind this? He tried USB soundcard AND on-board audio chip and got surround sound in both cases. He has same Windows build number. Same game version. Is there something about Windows being enabled to decode Dolby and DTS? He might have this function enabled but I don't at Windows level? What shall i ask him to get to the bottom of this?

EDIT 2: You can all download the demo for free from steam. Here is another comparison video from the demo. Please focus on 00:04 vs 1:36. Why?? Can anyone explain it? We both have same version, same Windows version, same windows audio settings, and same in-game audio settings. No matter what I change, my sound is locked in stereo mode as in 00:04.

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2020 at 5:08 AM Post #43,590 of 48,561
I'm still learning my G6. It's not super complicated but the instructions that come with it are not the clearest on how to use it. Sometimes I don't know when I'm in direct mode or not. Sometimes it's a solid white ring and sometimes it's blinking seems to change based on if I have it plugged into my PC or plugged into wall outlet...*Edit Okay I'm dumb. I think i just realized that you can't use direct mode for consoles and or through a cell phone. Only on PC..

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back