Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jul 29, 2016 at 2:44 PM Post #36,091 of 48,560
Guys the ultimate audio gaming device has arrived, the Smyth Realizer A16 is about to launch its Kickstarter campaign.
Personalized HRTF, up to 16 virtual speakers and low latency game mode for 1/3rd the price of the original realizer (£750 for the first pledge) i think it's time to thow out my MixAmp!

Jul 29, 2016 at 2:58 PM Post #36,093 of 48,560
Even more awesome... and still way, way out of my budget.

I just wish Smyth Research would actually manage to license the SVS tech out to all those AVR manufacturers, where it would make the most sense to integrate. They'd have economies of scale going for them at that point.

Jul 29, 2016 at 4:15 PM Post #36,094 of 48,560
Unless the fiancé can make a compelling counter-argument, I'm going to make an A16 happen in my home, one way or another.

I've squirreled away money, I'm trying to sell some things, and two in-laws are determined to do our catering (actually despite our wishes) at my wedding, and the Realiser is one thing I've really wanted since hearing about it years ago. A personalized EQ for your head and headphones, head tracking, 16 virtual speaker support for a truly 3D directional support (7.1 is only a 2D "ring"), multiple HDMI inputs and independently-controlled dual headphone outputs (or optical/coax outputs for each), and decent internal headphone DAC and Amp components push it to the summit right now for capability. I think it's important that it's compatible with basically any media or source.

$1,600 is definitely a lot of money and definitely gives me pause. But, I can actually consider it as a "for life" investment, while the A8's $2,500 price just made me want to discount it as a possibility out of hand. The Realisers also aren't the easiest to set up... The personalized EQs only come from spending time with in-ear microphones and test tones, possibly/ideally visiting a music studio. There are generic HRTFs that sound pretty good, but if I've learned anything from Mad Lust Envy, NamelessPFG, and I (and others) hearing and sharing the same gear and media and yet having different personal preferences, is that everyone's sense of hearing is unique.

Lastly, I disagree that licensing out SVS to home theater manufacturers would help anything. Maybe SVS is a little better than Dolby Headphone or Silent Cinema, but that's only one one ingredient in the Realiser's secret sauce alongside the head-tracking and personalized auto-EQ. The way I look at it, if you want surround, get a Mixamp/DSS, if you want to listen with surround and upgraded components, get an X7, if you want surround and head-tracking, get a Beyerdynamic Headzone or a VR setup, but if you want the trifecta of surround, head-tracking, and realism from personalized EQ/HRTF, then Smyth sits at the top.

Jul 30, 2016 at 2:12 AM Post #36,095 of 48,560
Lastly, I disagree that licensing out SVS to home theater manufacturers would help anything. Maybe SVS is a little better than Dolby Headphone or Silent Cinema, but that's only one one ingredient in the Realiser's secret sauce alongside the head-tracking and personalized auto-EQ. The way I look at it, if you want surround, get a Mixamp/DSS, if you want to listen with surround and upgraded components, get an X7, if you want surround and head-tracking, get a Beyerdynamic Headzone or a VR setup, but if you want the trifecta of surround, head-tracking, and realism from personalized EQ/HRTF, then Smyth sits at the top.

The implication was that licensing out SVS would require the PRIR and head-tracking to be implemented into the AVR in the first place, otherwise it's just not SVS for the very reasons you mentioned.

I mean, think about it: the only people likely to have access to a decent surround sound speaker system to make a good PRIR with are those who'd pay good money for an AVR and the speakers connected to it, and many higher-end setups already support a microphone for channel level and room calibration to an extent. Earbud microphones are the logical next step.

Also, it's practically the only headphone surround processor to accept HDMI LPCM surround, which also means it's one of the few options to get proper headphone surround out of a Wii U if you can't hunt down a Dolby Headphone-enabled AVR.

Best of luck with the sales, by the way! I'm actually trying to sell some stuff myself, but nobody's biting, so I understand how hard it is.

Jul 30, 2016 at 3:17 AM Post #36,096 of 48,560
Unless the fiancé can make a compelling counter-argument, I'm going to make an A16 happen in my home, one way or another.

$1,600 is definitely a lot of money and definitely gives me pause. But, I can actually consider it as a "for life" investment, while the A8's $2,500 price just made me want to discount it as a possibility out of hand. The Realisers also aren't the easiest to set up... The personalized EQs only come from spending time with in-ear microphones and test tones, possibly/ideally visiting a music studio. There are generic HRTFs that sound pretty good, but if I've learned anything from Mad Lust Envy, NamelessPFG, and I (and others) hearing and sharing the same gear and media and yet having different personal preferences, is that everyone's sense of hearing is unique.

I'd get a comfier couch just in case.

If I remember correctly, it's possible to get personalized Smyth measurements at any of their dealers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NamelessPFG /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Also, it's practically the only headphone surround processor to accept HDMI LPCM surround, which also means it's one of the few options to get proper headphone surround out of a Wii U if you can't hunt down a Dolby Headphone-enabled AVR.

Tritton Katana is such a device.

Jul 30, 2016 at 3:48 AM Post #36,097 of 48,560
Tritton Katana is such a device.

I'd never even considered it because it's a wireless gaming headset - a deadly combination around these parts for people who want to use their audiophile-grade headphones.

It doesn't even have a typical headphone jack on the DSP/transceiver box, so it only works with the headset.

Here's hoping we see more options soon that close the gap between the typical S/PDIF-only devices and the new Realiser A16.

Jul 30, 2016 at 4:05 AM Post #36,098 of 48,560

I'd never even considered it because it's a wireless gaming headset - a deadly combination around these parts for people who want to use their audiophile-grade headphones.

It doesn't even have a typical headphone jack on the DSP/transceiver box, so it only works with the headset.

Here's hoping we see more options soon that close the gap between the typical S/PDIF-only devices and the new Realiser A16.

The headset itself is probably mediocre. However I think that it's possible to extract the wireless receiver from the headset and solder a 3.5mm headphones and microphone jacks to it and use it like the Mixamp 5.8

Jul 30, 2016 at 7:36 AM Post #36,099 of 48,560
16 virtual speaker support for a truly 3D directional support (7.1 is only a 2D "ring")

Isn't that kind of pointless unless content is specifically produced for it?

One of my gripes with surround sound in video games is the fact that you have no real sense of up and down. Allegedly one Creative's old technologies did use similar kind of techniques to how they give the impression for in front/behind you for cues that are supposed to be above or below, but it was scrapped for some reason (less devs wanting to use their proprietary technology and having to pay the license fee?). It also allegedly modeled the Dopler effect (which sounds pretty cool to me).

There was a point where basically any self respecting gamer had a Sound Blaster in their PC. Nowadays most people are perfectly happy to use onboard audio unless they need specific features or consider themselves audiophiles. This means that we are dependant on Dolby or DTS to move the technology forward, but because their efforts aren't exclusively tied to improving gaming audio, gamer-centric features don't get the kind of attention they did when Creative had the market largely to themselves.

Jul 30, 2016 at 1:31 PM Post #36,101 of 48,560
Sennheiser is releasing another headset, with 7.1 surround. Honestly looks like a PC360/Game One but with an inherent surround dsp.

Still, it IS Sennheiser, so color me interested.

ALso, for the price of the new Realizer, I'd DEFINITELY use those funds for a new PC rig instead. :D

Jul 30, 2016 at 1:40 PM Post #36,103 of 48,560
What's it called, or does it not have a name yet?

It's on the front page of head-fi.

Sennheiser is releasing another headset, with 7.1 surround. Honestly looks like a PC360/Game One but with an inherent surround dsp.

Still, it IS Sennheiser, so color me interested.

ALso, for the price of the new Realizer, I'd DEFINITELY use those funds for a new PC rig instead. :D

I thought you wanted a headset that was completely wireless?

Jul 30, 2016 at 1:58 PM Post #36,104 of 48,560
It's on the front page of head-fi.

Thanks. The lack of details regarding the specifics of the hardware (drivers etc) in the OP gives me the feeling it's going to be basically the same as one of their existing headsets, just with the Dolby dongle. If that's the case, I'm really not interested. Any dongle/processor has to be multi-platform to grab my interest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back