Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Dec 15, 2014 at 8:33 AM Post #27,692 of 48,562
"Kickass 100w* Stereo Amplifier"

A high power, high efficiency Class-D digital amplifier TPA3116D2 delivers up to 100W power (2 x 50W @ 4Ω*), allowing you to connect to passive bookshelf or tower speakers. The Sound Blaster X7 features an impedance switch to select between 4Ω and 8Ω to match your speakers to deliver the best audio performance."

Excitement has dissipated entirely. I'm pretty certain the impedance switch is for the SPEAKER output, not the headphone one. I'm willing to bet it's the typical 10ohm for headphones. Meh.

Dec 15, 2014 at 8:52 AM Post #27,693 of 48,562
Damn I'm on a negative roll today.

Time for the HD 800 to avoid a potential mismatch 
evil_smiley.gif

Dec 15, 2014 at 9:31 AM Post #27,694 of 48,562
A high power, high efficiency Class-D digital amplifier TPA3116D2 delivers up to 100W power (2 x 50W @ 4Ω*), allowing you to connect to passive bookshelf or tower speakers. The Sound Blaster X7 features an impedance switch to select between 4Ω and 8Ω to match your speakers to deliver the best audio performance."

Excitement has dissipated entirely. I'm pretty certain the impedance switch is for the SPEAKER output, not the headphone one. I'm willing to bet it's the typical 10ohm for headphones. Meh.

Yes and to add to this, it looks like you have to purchase a separate AC adapter to get the full 100w for external speakers as well.

Dec 15, 2014 at 10:00 AM Post #27,695 of 48,562
Hey MLE or anyone else,

I figure from what I have seen from you, you also game on the PS4 and PC? Reason I ask, I decided to grab a pair of HD598s and I need assistance on which Amp/Dac to get which will work with my setup. 

I have my PS4 and PC both setup on a computer desk. I game on a 27" Samsung monitor, so both my PS4 and PC are with in 3 feet of each other. I'm trying to figure out what is the simplest route to go, which I can use the 598s on my PS4 and PC with the best sound. I know the Astro Mix Amp works for the PS4, but not sure if I want to go with VR surround or just a good amp to drive good stereo.

I was thinking maybe a Fiio E17? I'm not sure if it will work with PS4 or PC though. I also don't know if this is the easiest route. Is there a way to run the PS4 output to the PC then just run headphones from PC, then this way I can run headphones from one locating for both devices?

I'm rambling, just trying to find the most cost effective route to go. Hope this helps explain my situation.

Dec 15, 2014 at 10:07 AM Post #27,696 of 48,562
That kills the X7 for me. I mean, for $280, I would've went for it but 10ohms right now is not something want. The X2 is gonna be my main headphone, and at 30-ish ohms, sensitive at that, it doesn't make sense to get the X7.

What specifically irritates me is how these amps are made to use headsets which are almost always low ohm and sensitive.

Can't have everything, even if they got close.

I prefer the X1 over the 598 every single time. They sound quite different so just choose which you like more.

Hi
And how would you rate X2 for gaming? Is it similar good experience as with X1?
I wonder how they do with Dolby Headphone?

Dec 15, 2014 at 10:53 AM Post #27,697 of 48,562
That kills the X7 for me. I mean, for $280, I would've went for it but 10ohms right now is not something want. The X2 is gonna be my main headphone, and at 30-ish ohms, sensitive at that, it doesn't make sense to get the X7.

What specifically irritates me is how these amps are made to use headsets which are almost always low ohm and sensitive.

Can't have everything, even if they got close.

I prefer the X1 over the 598 every single time. They sound quite different so just choose which you like more.

thanks!
I'll prefer something with a good sound stage, allowing for clear vocals.

I have tried the X1 thus far. It's a little tight at the top of my head (I have a really big head...) and the ear cups get a little warm after awhile but other than that, it's really comfortable and good thus far.

I have yet to open the HD598. unless it's a definite upgrade, I would prefer to keep it sealed and sell it off. It does look bigger than the X1 on first look (from the box). Seems to be quite comfortable too! but I'm not too sure.

Dec 15, 2014 at 11:51 AM Post #27,699 of 48,562
  Hey MLE or anyone else,

I figure from what I have seen from you, you also game on the PS4 and PC? Reason I ask, I decided to grab a pair of HD598s and I need assistance on which Amp/Dac to get which will work with my setup. 

I have my PS4 and PC both setup on a computer desk. I game on a 27" Samsung monitor, so both my PS4 and PC are with in 3 feet of each other. I'm trying to figure out what is the simplest route to go, which I can use the 598s on my PS4 and PC with the best sound. I know the Astro Mix Amp works for the PS4, but not sure if I want to go with VR surround or just a good amp to drive good stereo.

I was thinking maybe a Fiio E17? I'm not sure if it will work with PS4 or PC though. I also don't know if this is the easiest route. Is there a way to run the PS4 output to the PC then just run headphones from PC, then this way I can run headphones from one locating for both devices?

I'm rambling, just trying to find the most cost effective route to go. Hope this helps explain my situation.

The easiest solution would be a Sound Blaster Recon3D (or X7, very different price point).  You plug the USB into your computer and the optical into your PS4, then you just flip a switch on the side of the unit (in the case of the Recon) to swap between PC and PS4.  Make sure the USB is plugged into an always-on port if you plan on playing PS4 with the PC turned off.

AFAIK, there's no way to pass your audio thru from the PS4 to the PC and still get surround.

There are other options that will sound better but involve more money and cables.

Dec 15, 2014 at 12:52 PM Post #27,700 of 48,562
144Hz for PS4? Okay. Better buy a bigger TV with a quick repsonse time. Sorry for OT, back to Topic.

Dec 15, 2014 at 12:55 PM Post #27,701 of 48,562
I have a BenQ 24" that I've had for a few years (like quite a few).  It was one of the best at the time I bought it.  It's got major banding issues now tho.  Sooner or later I'm going to have to stop spending money on headphone gear so I can get a nice IPS monitor.  :-D

Dec 15, 2014 at 1:07 PM Post #27,702 of 48,562

The easiest solution would be a Sound Blaster Recon3D (or X7, very different price point).  You plug the USB into your computer and the optical into your PS4, then you just flip a switch on the side of the unit (in the case of the Recon) to swap between PC and PS4.  Make sure the USB is plugged into an always-on port if you plan on playing PS4 with the PC turned off.

AFAIK, there's no way to pass your audio thru from the PS4 to the PC and still get surround.

There are other options that will sound better but involve more money and cables.

You think this is a better option than a Fiio E17?

I have a BenQ 24" that I've had for a few years (like quite a few).  It was one of the best at the time I bought it.  It's got major banding issues now tho.  Sooner or later I'm going to have to stop spending money on headphone gear so I can get a nice IPS monitor.  :-D

I'm running the Samsun S27D590P. Its their version of a IPS, with their "PLS" technology. Even though the monitor has a higher ms time of 8ms, I notice no ghosting . It has beautiful color and I take advantage of the AVS HD 709 calibration software every couple months to keep my games looking their best. Now its time to match the sound with the visuals.
http://www.samsung.com/levant/consumer/computers-peripherals/monitors/led-monitor/LS27D590PS/ZN

Dec 15, 2014 at 1:08 PM Post #27,703 of 48,562
thanks!
I'll prefer something with a good sound stage, allowing for clear vocals.

I have tried the X1 thus far. It's a little tight at the top of my head (I have a really big head...) and the ear cups get a little warm after awhile but other than that, it's really comfortable and good thus far.

I have yet to open the HD598. unless it's a definite upgrade, I would prefer to keep it sealed and sell it off. It does look bigger than the X1 on first look (from the box). Seems to be quite comfortable too! but I'm not too sure.

How much you would like for the 598s, I'm looking for a pair. PM if interested

Dec 15, 2014 at 1:12 PM Post #27,704 of 48,562
  You think this is a better option than a Fiio E17?

I'm running the Samsun S27D590P. Its their version of a IPS, with their "PLS" technology. Even though the monitor has a higher ms time of 8ms, I notice no ghosting . It has beautiful color and I take advantage of the AVS HD 709 calibration software every couple months to keep my games looking their best. Now its time to match the sound with the visuals.
http://www.samsung.com/levant/consumer/computers-peripherals/monitors/led-monitor/LS27D590PS/ZN

The E17 won't give you surround.  This thread is all about gaming with surround so yeah, I think the Recon is a better option than the E17.  :-D

If you want it to have similar functionality but sound better, the X7 is probably the next easiest option.  After that you're getting into things like buying a sound card for your computer and a Mixamp/Recon/DSS for your PS4 and then running them into a switch and then into an amp.

I'm not looking into monitors anytime soon, but I find it amusing that you're worried about ghosting at 8ms.  I've been gaming since well before LCD panels so I don't even pay attention to refresh rate anymore since all monitors are so absurdly good these days (also, they all lie about their refresh rates by using interesting math).  The big thing I look for is input lag.  Monitors with too much processing will have a lot of input lag.  Samsung is generally one of the major offenders with adding way too much processing to their TV's.  I don't know how their monitors are...

Dec 15, 2014 at 1:53 PM Post #27,705 of 48,562
  The E17 won't give you surround.  This thread is all about gaming with surround so yeah, I think the Recon is a better option than the E17.  :-D

If you want it to have similar functionality but sound better, the X7 is probably the next easiest option.  After that you're getting into things like buying a sound card for your computer and a Mixamp/Recon/DSS for your PS4 and then running them into a switch and then into an amp.

I'm not looking into monitors anytime soon, but I find it amusing that you're worried about ghosting at 8ms.  I've been gaming since well before LCD panels so I don't even pay attention to refresh rate anymore since all monitors are so absurdly good these days (also, they all lie about their refresh rates by using interesting math).  The big thing I look for is input lag.  Monitors with too much processing will have a lot of input lag.  Samsung is generally one of the major offenders with adding way too much processing to their TV's.  I don't know how their monitors are...

I've been gaming since the early 80s and things have changed, not always for the better (Take PS2 keyboards for instance but that is a whole other rant).

When it comes to PC monitors, anything above 8ms response time has a chance for ghosting depending on manufacturer and of course other variables. Generally you want 5ms or lower for a gaming monitor, but I sacrificed response time for accurate color production of IPS.

So its far from amusing and I'll use this line to explain "I've been gaming since well before LCD panels so I don't even pay attention to refresh rate anymore since all monitors are so absurdly good these days". CRT monitors which were BEFORE LCD were better in many ways for gaming. Their response times are extremely low (1ms or under), their color production was better at 32 bit and their black levels deeper, and they also have no "native resolution" so no image quality lose depending on res used which allowed for system flexibility with your current hardware.

If you would purchase a IPS monitor which can have response times in the 14 to 16ms, I promise you will see a lot of ghosting. IPS is generally more used in the marketing image editing areas where they want accurate color production and don't need fast response times. 

On topic,
Much debate could be had on if virtual surround is better than just good ol stereo amp correctly. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back