Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Dec 14, 2014 at 7:48 PM Post #27,676 of 48,561
Ok thanks! And yes, I've noticed that about some web-specs of Amos using the TPA6120 too, but I think a large part of that is because TI recommends it (to prevent DC current or something?). I'm not a big fan of the Guy, but He-WhoMust-Not-Be-Named mentioned in his E9 review that there could be ways to not need a 10 ohm output resistance.
Well, I think my Recon3D and Omni came with an adapter to combine the mic and headphone jacks into one TRRS plug like you would need for the BoomPro. Creative's usually pretty thorough about useful cables/accessories (lol@ Draven's power cables!), but even if it wasn't included the adapter is cheap and widely available. In fact, did the BoomPro come wi any accessories?

The BoomPro comes with the cable you describe but I'm not sure if SB X7 will recognize it properly. I had this issue with the DSS but not the Mixamp Pro. So I was wondering how the X7 will handle it.

Dec 14, 2014 at 7:59 PM Post #27,677 of 48,561
Evshrug, you were right. I installed the X7 app and turned on SBX surround while using the PS4. Let me say, this is an awesome feature. Being able to change the settings on the fly without using my PC is very handy. Kudos Creative.

Once I turned it on and set it to 100%, I could hear the SBX Surround effect and let me say, it's quite impressive. Within 5 seconds of turning it on I knew I preferred it to the Dolby surround on my DSS. It's nice and clear and the imaging is precise. Good stuff.

Thanks for the help!

Now, i just need to figure out how to get mic chat working through the PS4 while using the X7. I had so many issues trying to get this to work when I used the DSS that I gave up on it and just used my Sony Gold headset when I wanted to chat. If I can get that working reliably with the X7, I will be very happy.

Dec 14, 2014 at 8:47 PM Post #27,678 of 48,561
Do you think Creative would bother tweaking the TPA6120 to be anything less than 10ohms though?

Well the 10 ohms doesn't come from the chip itself. It probably will have 10 ohms, but maybe maybe :wink:

The BoomPro comes with the cable you describe but I'm not sure if SB X7 will recognize it properly. I had this issue with the DSS but not the Mixamp Pro. So I was wondering how the X7 will handle it.

Well the DSS doesn't have a 3.5mm mic input, only a USB passthrough. The Recon3D worked perfectly via USB and optical to the PS4, I'm sure they thought it through.

Evshrug, you were right. I installed the X7 app and turned on SBX surround while using the PS4. Let me say, this is an awesome feature. Being able to change the settings on the fly without using my PC is very handy. Kudos Creative.

Once I turned it on and set it to 100%, I could hear the SBX Surround effect and let me say, it's quite impressive. Within 5 seconds of turning it on I knew I preferred it to the Dolby surround on my DSS. It's nice and clear and the imaging is precise. Good stuff.

Thanks for the help!

Now, i just need to figure out how to get mic chat working through the PS4 while using the X7. I had so many issues trying to get this to work when I used the DSS that I gave up on it and just used my Sony Gold headset when I wanted to chat. If I can get that working reliably with the X7, I will be very happy.

Plug the USB into the PS4, it'll automatically recoignize it as a USB mic. There should be a map included that illustrates the setup?

Dec 14, 2014 at 9:51 PM Post #27,679 of 48,561
Nope, I can't see any coupon other than the free shipping, nothing automatically gets applied when I add the X7 to my cart. Link?

EDIT EDIT EDIT!!!
RetailMeNot helped me find an even better coupon, code HOHOHO3

Tried it, it isnt working anymore....?

:frowning2: :frowning2:

confused.gif

Why is this happening to me....

Now I feel like I want to return my Sound Blaster Z, sell my Recon3D and buy this instead.......if the coupon actually worked.

But I guess it doesnt anymore. Tried looking for the X7 on the list of what products are eligible for the discount...and it seems they took the x7 out of that list.....

boooo creative.....booooo lol

Dec 15, 2014 at 12:46 AM Post #27,680 of 48,561
Output impedance is 8 or 40 Ohms, depending on the Switch position.

HOHOHO3 doesn't work in the EU

Dec 15, 2014 at 5:10 AM Post #27,682 of 48,561
this is gonna be awkward amidst all the X7 discussion (though I should check out the price locally).

I'm currently using the Fidelio X1. I recently bought the HD598 thanks to the Amazon Lightning Deal. Intended for my brother so he can upgrade from his Steelseries but he doesn't want.

So the question is - is it worth keeping or the 598? or should I sell my X1? I probably can only keep 1 of the two

Dec 15, 2014 at 7:16 AM Post #27,683 of 48,561
That kills the X7 for me. I mean, for $280, I would've went for it but 10ohms right now is not something want. The X2 is gonna be my main headphone, and at 30-ish ohms, sensitive at that, it doesn't make sense to get the X7.

What specifically irritates me is how these amps are made to use headsets which are almost always low ohm and sensitive.

Can't have everything, even if they got close.

I prefer the X1 over the 598 every single time. They sound quite different so just choose which you like more.

Dec 15, 2014 at 7:34 AM Post #27,684 of 48,561
I don't know, to me it seems these amps (ZxR, X7) are made with the Beyer/Sennheiser mindset of the "last" generation (DT880, 990, 600/650) as in generally harder to drive "high end" with high impedance. Not sure if my English makes sense here. 

Dec 15, 2014 at 7:36 AM Post #27,685 of 48,561
Plug the USB into the PS4, it'll automatically recoignize it as a USB mic. There should be a map included that illustrates the setup?

I'll give that a shot later to see.  Thanks again for the help.

Here are a few pics I took when I unboxed it yesterday.  Yes, almost all of the cords in the last pic are power cords.  You can also see the headphone 'stand'.  I tried it, didn't like it.  It's pretty flimsy and not quite tall enough.  I just looks kind of odd sticking out of the top of the unit as well.

Dec 15, 2014 at 7:41 AM Post #27,686 of 48,561
There it is, that impedance switch.

Dec 15, 2014 at 8:01 AM Post #27,688 of 48,561
Never mind, the impedance switch is for the speaker output, not headphone.

Dec 15, 2014 at 8:14 AM Post #27,689 of 48,561
Doh, I read 8-40 in an earlier post in another forum. So it's really 4-8. That's quite different. And much better too. 

I TAKE EVERYTHING BACK. IT'S MADE FOR ALL OF YOUR BEAUTIFUL HEADPHONES GUYS.

Dec 15, 2014 at 8:19 AM Post #27,690 of 48,561
Hmmmmm... if you guys can get me the X7 for those $280... I'm in.

4ohm is critical damping for 32ohm headphones, so it's PERFECT. 8ohm would be ideal for all the AKG 700 series.

Excitement over the X7 just skyrocketed, as long as it can be had for $280. That's a DAC/amp/sbx surround all in one. I'd sell my e17 and Mixamp to make up some of the loss too.

I don't know if the $280 deal is still available.  It irks me a little that I missed that deal, but to me it's worth the $400 I paid for it. 

I should be able to recoup most of the cost by selling the gear that it will replace.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back