Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Feb 20, 2014 at 6:46 AM Post #21,091 of 48,561
Mika, can you repeat that? Not understanding what you're saying.

The D600 is dual entry, so something like the Vmoda boom pro (which works with single 3.5mm inputs on the headphone) won't work. You'll have to go the old route of using a standard external mic like the Antlion mod mic. Any headphone can become a headset, but you'll have to contend with another wire going from your headphone to your source.
I was curious if anyone has used the d600s. I believe their chord has a built in mic. But if I got a pair of ma900/all etc, I wasn't sure if they had mic u can get seperately, I've never used headphones for games b4.

Feb 20, 2014 at 8:08 AM Post #21,092 of 48,561
Hi, I think I know your issue.

The problem is that your E17 isn't making proper contact with the E09k. The E17 needs to sit straight up in order for it to make proper contact with the E09k's dock.
This issue can be fixed by removing the bump on the wall of the E09k's dock, and sticking a thicker piece of rubber to hold up the E17.

If you don't understand what I'm saying, watch this video - http://youtu.be/bZck_ZDT0FY?t=6m55s
He has the same issue as you do. 

I can try doing what he did first by sticking the little rubber cover behind it, but he isn't really having the same problem. My device never disconnected like his did in the video. My device would still be listed in windows like it was connected properly. I will give it a shot later though

Feb 20, 2014 at 8:16 AM Post #21,093 of 48,561
So, i've been searching around,

Pro900 - 302 euros
Mad Dogs - 291 euros

I saw other reviews of the Monster DNA pro and they look pretty uncomfortable with that tight grip and not being flexible, plus i dont like how they look. They look like headphones for rappers to show off.

Which one should i get? Do the prices make some difference? Because the Pro900 are being sold for something like 550USD - 400 euros, but on german amazon its 302 euros. The Mad Dogs are the 300 USD ones, but they incur in 30 dollar transport and 23% tax. I'm from Portugal.

Reminder: they are for PC use, i still dont have a soundcard (but planning to buy one that matches the headphones i pick) and its for competitive gaming. They need to be closed.

Thank you :D

Feb 20, 2014 at 9:28 AM Post #21,094 of 48,561
A fine starter (possibly end) would be the Fidelio X1 + Vmoda BoomPro.

I highly doubt that combo will disappoint many, especially first timers.

The reasons why I suggest something like the Mixamp is on the first page. I wholeheartedly recommend getting either that or at LEAST a Creative Recon3D as an alternative.

This is assuming you game on consoles. If you game on PC, I'd say go for something cheap like a Xonar DG (internal), or Xonar U3 (external). Both can be found for like $30 or so.

So you would recommend the X1? Hmm, seems to be almost identical in price to both the HD598 and Ma900.

I was actually reading through the forums here, and the Sennheiser Momentum On Ear Headphones seem like the sort of cans I'd love to use. How would these fare as gaming headphones? And I've seen a few people stating that their sound is a bit more 'fun' than the 598's. What exactly do they mean when they say that? Sorry, I probably sound like an absolute idiot, but beyond a few threads that I've read here, I have literally no knowledge on this topic. 

Feb 20, 2014 at 9:41 AM Post #21,095 of 48,561
Hey Mad Lust,

I've just ordered the MA900 on the basis of your recommendations. This thread is an amazing resource. I can't thank you (and all the contributors) enough.

One question, though, about mic options for the MA900. I currently have the Zalman clip-on which I don't like much. Just wondering how straightforward (and advisable) it would be to do a detachable cable mod? I like the idea of the BoomPro's simplified cable management. I know The ModMic is an option but it means more cables.

Any suggestions would be most welcome. Thanks again :D

Feb 20, 2014 at 9:56 AM Post #21,096 of 48,561

So you would recommend the X1? Hmm, seems to be almost identical in price to both the HD598 and Ma900.

I was actually reading through the forums here, and the Sennheiser Momentum On Ear Headphones seem like the sort of cans I'd love to use. How would these fare as gaming headphones? And I've seen a few people stating that their sound is a bit more 'fun' than the 598's. What exactly do they mean when they say that? Sorry, I probably sound like an absolute idiot, but beyond a few threads that I've read here, I have literally no knowledge on this topic. 

IMO "fun" usually describes a sound that is colored(emphasized) in some way, usually in the bass region. I own the X1s and passed on the HD598s as the consensus is they're a bit light in the bass- this can be a good thing for gaming if a competitive advantage is more important than the "fun" factor. I'm quite happy with the X1s as they have more bass than my other open headphones(which is generally the tradeoff you make vs. closed cans). 

Feb 20, 2014 at 10:30 AM Post #21,097 of 48,561
I have tested the MA900, Q701 and X1 over the past 2 weeks or so as an upgrade to my AD700 and though each had their positives and negatives, I'd have to say the X1 was the overall victor.

The Q701 seemed to yearn for more amplification than I could provide and forget about mixing in voice with the Astro Mixamp. I never felt like I could get a balance that worked well and the sound definitely seemed anemic, though powered through the DG on my PC it seemed a bit better in BF3/4.

The MA900 is absolutely fantastic except I had to adjust them constantly and at least on my head/ears I never felt like I could get them positioned appropriately unless I pushed them well forward on my head so the tops of my ears were basically in the lip of the pads, which yielded a nice effect for gaming in terms of soundstage and spacing. I will likely revisit these, but the $250 price tag was a bit too much.

The X1 have a lot of bass for an open can, more than I think I've ever heard short of my DT770s, and if I could tone down the bass with my original mixamp I think I might a bit, but it doesn't take anything away from the other positional cues needed for competitive BF3/4/CoD and the convenience of the 3.5mm port with my vmoda boom mic is hard to beat. I can simply leave that cable in my mixamp and unplug the headphones and use another cable at my PC or when listening to music. They also are killer for EDM which I've been listening to very heavily recently.

Overall, musically they were all enjoyable in their own ways and I would probably keep all 3 if I had the money and wanted to put money into a good amp for the Q701, but the X1 are the best of the 3 for my purposes.

Feb 20, 2014 at 11:11 AM Post #21,098 of 48,561
Razer Kraken Forged? That's one hell of a nice looking headphone. I say headphone because it comes with a detachable 3.5mm cable. Again though, it twists and locks, so not sure the BoomPro would work in this case, though it comes with an inline mic cable.

I will admit it looks pretty cool, but it's probably your typical overpriced Razer flash with underwhelming function. 

Feb 20, 2014 at 11:30 AM Post #21,099 of 48,561
Contrary to popular belief, in many reviews I have heard that high end IEMs such as the JH13 can have a soundstage and imaging that rivals the HD800.

I am thinking of getting an IEM for gaming as the BA drivers used have immaculate detail and pinpoint accuracy from what I have heard when listening to music.
Part if the reason for getting an IEM is because they are easy to drive and the isolation they provide. Does anyone know if this means then that they would be suitable for gaming?
All opinions are welcome.

Feb 20, 2014 at 1:43 PM Post #21,100 of 48,561

Hi, I think I know your issue.

The problem is that your E17 isn't making proper contact with the E09k. The E17 needs to sit straight up in order for it to make proper contact with the E09k's dock.
This issue can be fixed by removing the bump on the wall of the E09k's dock, and sticking a thicker piece of rubber to hold up the E17.

If you don't understand what I'm saying, watch this video - http://youtu.be/bZck_ZDT0FY?t=6m55s
He has the same issue as you do. 

So I tried putting the rubber piece behind it and it did not work.  However after taking the rubber out it been playing properly since then.  I have docked and undocked it a few times to see if it was a fluke and so far it has continued to play properly.  I will continue to monitor and test it but so far the issue seems to have been resolved.

Feb 20, 2014 at 1:59 PM Post #21,101 of 48,561
I bought today an MA900 + Zalman Mic. :D

Can't wait to play BF4 with this set....want to listen the so called huge soundstage. :D

Feb 20, 2014 at 2:08 PM Post #21,102 of 48,561
  I bought today an MA900 + Zalman Mic. :D

Can't wait to play BF4 with this set....want to listen the so called huge soundstage. :D

I'd suggest you look into a different mic. Those Zalman mics have poor quality control IMO and they only sound ok at best. MLE recently updated the front page with some mic options, so check it out. Even those cheap Neewer packs are better than the Zalman. I have a Labtec LVA-7330 and I have no complaints.  

Feb 20, 2014 at 2:21 PM Post #21,103 of 48,561
  I'd suggest you look into a different mic. Those Zalman mics have poor quality control IMO and they only sound ok at best. MLE recently updated the front page with some mic options, so check it out. Even those cheap Neewer packs are better than the Zalman. I have a Labtec LVA-7330 and I have no complaints.  

yes, i'm wanting and will buy later the modmic V4.0 with mute. 

Feb 20, 2014 at 6:46 PM Post #21,105 of 48,561
  So I tried putting the rubber piece behind it and it did not work.  However after taking the rubber out it been playing properly since then.  I have docked and undocked it a few times to see if it was a fluke and so far it has continued to play properly.  I will continue to monitor and test it but so far the issue seems to have been resolved.

After initial success, the problem persists.  It is hit and miss with docking the e17 to the e09k and getting continual functionality.  Too inconsistent so will probably end up returning the e09k.  

On a positive note, I love the 990s that I got.  Any suggestions on a good closed back pair?  The quality of a good pair of headphones really amazed me and going from my 990s at home to normal cheap earbuds (which before now I thought sounded fine) was very saddening and I don't want to keep doing it!  So I guess maybe a pair that sounds similar to the 990s if that is possible? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back