Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jan 5, 2014 at 5:02 PM Post #19,651 of 48,560
I wonder if anyone could give some input into my situation. I am an only-PC gamer but this seems to be the more active place for headphone advice.

Currently I'm using Goldring NS1000s and a Xonar DG, and I'm looking to upgrade since these are beginning to have issues and my birthday is approaching. Isolation isn't an issue, and most of my time is spent playing competitive FPS. When I do listen to music, it's generally classical or stuff like Elbow/Adele/Coldplay/occasionally-guilty-musicals.

I don't have a huge budget, and I would like to avoid having to get external DACs/Amps. Q701s look ideal (if on the very high end of the budget - £150 imported from US) for me, but from what I've read the Xonar DG would struggle to drive them properly. I could alternatively get DT770/990 Pro 80Ohms for £118, which I hear also benefit greatly from amping but holy **** they look comfortable. The headphones I'm leaning towards right now are the AD700s, which I can get for £92.

Would appreciate any thoughts on the best solution.

On another note, to get Dolby Headphone I should just have 5.1 selected in game and DH enabled in Xonar menu right?

Thanks

Jan 5, 2014 at 5:16 PM Post #19,652 of 48,560
  I wonder if anyone could give some input into my situation. I am an only-PC gamer but this seems to be the more active place for headphone advice.
Currently I'm using Goldring NS1000s and a Xonar DG, and I'm looking to upgrade since these are beginning to have issues and my birthday is approaching. Isolation isn't an issue, and most of my time is spent playing competitive FPS. When I do listen to music, it's generally classical or stuff like Elbow/Adele/Coldplay/occasionally-guilty-musicals.
I don't have a huge budget, and I would like to avoid having to get external DACs/Amps. Q701s look ideal (if on the very high end of the budget - £150 imported from US) for me, but from what I've read the Xonar DG would struggle to drive them properly. I could alternatively get DT770/990 Pro 80Ohms for £118, which I hear also benefit greatly from amping but holy **** they look comfortable. The headphones I'm leaning towards right now are the AD700s, which I can get for £92.
On another note, to get Dolby Headphone I should just have 5.1 selected in game and DH enabled in Xonar menu right?

Check out the AKG K612 Pro (120-Ohm) headphones, 120 GBP.

Setting the game to 5.1 (6-channel) sounds right.
Also assuming you have set the Xonar DG's Audio Channel to "6-channel"
and enabled "Dolby Headphone" in the DG's Audio Output

Hopefully you have disabled the motherboard's on-board audio, in the BIOS
Have you tried the Unified Xonar drivers? with the Xonar DG.

Jan 5, 2014 at 5:38 PM Post #19,653 of 48,560

Thanks

The ATH AD700X are more comfortable!

Jan 5, 2014 at 5:51 PM Post #19,654 of 48,560
  Check out the AKG K612 Pro (120-Ohm) headphones, 120 GBP.

Setting the game to 5.1 (6-channel) sounds right.
Also assuming you have set the Xonar DG's Audio Channel to "6-channel"
and enabled "Dolby Headphone" in the DG's Audio Output

Hopefully you have disabled the motherboard's on-board audio, in the BIOS
Have you tried the Unified Xonar drivers? with the Xonar DG.

Thanks for the suggestion, looks like a definite possibility.
Fairly sure I've done all that, although I seem to remember it being irritatingly difficult/non-intuitive to disable onboard. Definitely running the unified drivers.

The ATH AD700X are more comfortable!

They are? Excellent, might go for them instead. I can actually get them slightly cheaper, although whether they would arrive in time for birthday is up in the air. 

Jan 5, 2014 at 7:27 PM Post #19,656 of 48,560
I am just wondering what those of you with handheld consoles (Vita & 3DS) are using for headphones? 

Jan 5, 2014 at 7:30 PM Post #19,657 of 48,560
The Koss clip ons have been well known around here for those who game on the go. I have none, myself, but have read great things about them... especially at their price...

Jan 6, 2014 at 12:52 AM Post #19,662 of 48,560
Yeah.  I was emphasizing that you're getting a brand new pair for 250. 

Normally new ones are 300 and used ones go for ~250, so it's a good price for a new pair.

Jan 6, 2014 at 4:19 AM Post #19,663 of 48,560
Is the beyerdynamic dt 990 250 ohm can the one I need? I have a mixamp and creative sound blaster z and sennheiser hd 598. Basically listen to dubstep (skrillex, deadmau), or Metalica type stuff. Either game on 360 or PC. Not really looking for the greatest soundwhoring can as I already have the 598s I just want something alot of fun that can also do double duty for gaming. Im thinking x1, sony ma 900, but just feel gravitated to the dt 990, especialy for ~150$. Anyone got any better ideas or opinions?

Jan 6, 2014 at 5:18 AM Post #19,664 of 48,560
+1 for the Koss clip ons.

As always, I recommend buying both the Sportapro ($20), and KSC75 ($10-15). You snap off the Sportapro drivers, and use them with the KSC75 clips. Instant KSC35 (with comfier clips), all for no more than $35. Or just get the KSC75 first and see how that works out for you. If you want more warmth, the Sportapro will have that.

Just remember, you MUST bend the KSC75 clips inward, as out of the box, they are way too separated from the drivers, making you lose a lot of the bass and making the drivers overly bright. the more the drivers press towards your ear, the better.

The Koss clip ons have been well known around here for those who game on the go. I have none, myself, but have read great things about them... especially at their price...

I'll send you my leftover Sportapro/ksc35 drivers with the PE headband for you to try out. I can't give up my KSC35 clips though. :p

I think I may have ruined my PE headband which may fit too loosely, so I'll have to check.

I'll even throw in the Px100-II modded with KSC75 clips, though they are less comfy.

I guarantee it's gonna take you an eternity to get them to go on right. At first, it's a monumental task to put on the clips right, lol. I may have to do a video on just putting them on right, lol.

You can send them back at your leisure, and in super small packaging. :)

I'm gonna start writing my 1840 review today (as in an hour).

Jan 6, 2014 at 5:56 AM Post #19,665 of 48,560
Hi guys.. im going to buy the fidelio and connect it with a xonar u3 but i read that this setup alone will mess up the sq due to impedance.. so i decided to connect a dac/amp combo in between.. i was just wondering which is better to connect with this setup.. the e7 or the e10? E17 is kinda out of the budget.. i hope someone can help me.. thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back