Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
May 10, 2012 at 4:42 PM Post #5,416 of 48,561
20263070.jpg

> In the last 6 pages, I'm the first post in 5 of them
cool.gif

Quote:
What would you recommend for under $150 as an amp for the Q701? At that price point could you endorse the E9?

I would only get an amp for them if:
  • Your going to be using them for music and not just gaming, and
  • Your also plan on getting a decent source. (I'd rather listen to an E10 alone Vs.  an E9 alone used with my soundcard as a source)

The E9 is alright.  It is a bit dry and thin (slightly recessed mids) sounding.  If you go for an E9, I would buy it used off the FS forum and save yourself $30.  You would then have enough money to get a DAC.  There are always E9's for sale on the forum. 

Another option is this cheap bravo amp > http://www.bravoaudio.com/bravo2.html

Quote:
chicolom, I was pointing out no need for amp for volume for the Q701 when the modmic is added into the mixamp.

I use the Q701 strictly for gaming and nothing else.  It's just way too bright for me listening music to it

In that case, I wouldn't invent any more money into them.

May 10, 2012 at 5:13 PM Post #5,417 of 48,561
Hey thanks a lot! I was gaming last night and found that the Mixamp at full tilt gave plenty of volume but the problem is:

a. Would rather not have to run the amp all the way to the top like that.

b. more importantly when I turned up the chat it did get quiet in a hurry. I have the older wired Mixamp if it makes a difference.

I did not get to play the "can you hear me now game". While I still stand behind the statement that these do not NEED and amp to be enjoyed in most situations it is clear that they do WANT an amp. Besides, what the hell. I am not going back to my Razer headset for voice chat no way no sir.

So, am this far down the path I guess no turning back.

Mixamp - $130
Q701 - $250
Modmic - $40
Amp - ??

Time to sell the kids. 
Quote:

• Your also plan on getting a decent source. (I'd rather listen to an E10 alone Vs.  an E9 alone used with my sound card as a source)

The E9 is alright.  It is a bit dry and thin (slightly recessed mids) sounding.  If you go for an E9, I would buy it used off the FS forum and save yourself $30.  You would then have enough money to get a DAC.  There are always E9's for sale on the forum. 

May 10, 2012 at 5:33 PM Post #5,418 of 48,561
If throw a DAC into my gaming setup I lose Dolby headphone, right? I do not want that.
Quote:

• Your also plan on getting a decent source. (I'd rather listen to an E10 alone Vs.  an E9 alone used with my soundcard as a source)

May 10, 2012 at 5:43 PM Post #5,419 of 48,561
Quote:
Can anyone take the time to list, to their knowledge, the receivers with built in Dolby Headphone or CMSS 3D processing? I can't find all the models online, since the Harman Kardon's that did have Dolby Headphone are older models.

Yamaha receivers come with Silent Cinema, which is Yamaha's own version of surround sound for headphones.
I'm sure zero receivers come with Creative's CMSS-3D.
Very rare for any receiver to come with Dolby Virtual Headphone.

May 10, 2012 at 5:56 PM Post #5,420 of 48,561
Quote:
If throw a DAC into my gaming setup I lose Dolby headphone, right? I do not want that.

To me an Xonar DX sound card with the Fiio E11 would make a nice combo,
Dolby (7.1) Virtual Headphone, full Blu-ray audio support, decent DAC.
and it only $13 for a battery charger and two extra batteries for the E11.
The E11's low impedance should work well with AKG 700 series headphones.

May 10, 2012 at 6:28 PM Post #5,421 of 48,561
Heretic, only get a DAC if you plan on using them for music. The Mixamp is its own DAC, so for gaming or on any point you use the Mixamp, another DAC is useless. For $150, I'd probably look into the O2 amp. Epiphany Acoustics sells pre-built ones. The E9 is also an option, though for the Q701, I'd say a warmer amp would benefit them, and both of these are either neutral to slightly cold. I'm not a fan of tubes, so I personally won't recommend the Bravo.

And TOLD you about an amp when voice chat was added in. I swear, Chicolom must have some very sensitive ears, because the Q701 is just too low with the Mixamp drving chat at around 2 o clock.

May 10, 2012 at 9:47 PM Post #5,422 of 48,561
Quote:
Heretic, only get a DAC if you plan on using them for music. The Mixamp is its own DAC, so for gaming or on any point you use the Mixamp, another DAC is useless. For $150, I'd probably look into the O2 amp. Epiphany Acoustics sells pre-built ones. The E9 is also an option, though for the Q701, I'd say a warmer amp would benefit them, and both of these are either neutral to slightly cold. I'm not a fan of tubes, so I personally won't recommend the Bravo.
And TOLD you about an amp when voice chat was added in. I swear, Chicolom must have some very sensitive ears, because the Q701 is just too low with the Mixamp drving chat at around 2 o clock.

I know about the (Digital to Analog Converter) DAC thing. Which is why I said I would lose Dolby Headphone. You can't very well run an analog signal back through a DAC now can you?
tongue_smile.gif

I do not at present intend to by a USB DAC or for that matter upgrade my soundcard in my PC. I just want to drive these phones closer to their potential for movies, MP3's and Gaming with chat. So it looks like I built myself into a corner here.

AND yes you did try to tell me. Another user I think Ironsnake er something (forgive me, lazy) said Mixamp with chat was fine...boy is that wrong. You touch that dial and the volume falls off a cliff!!!

No offense to the poster but it simply will not do for me

May 10, 2012 at 10:06 PM Post #5,423 of 48,561
While I love my HD598's, I am in the minority of people whom for some reason finds them uncomfortable.  I don't know what it is about my head or if it is just headphones in general, but they become uncomfortable after awhile, and I always feel much better when I take them off (pressure/headaches).  I'm not looking to necessarily replace them, as it might just be how I feel about all headphones, but I wanted to know if there was anyone else out there with my experience whom went on to try other headphones with different band styles and what they'd recommend for me?  I use my headphones 80% of the time for gaming.

May 10, 2012 at 10:27 PM Post #5,425 of 48,561
Isn't the Altoids box for the Cmoy amp. not the O2?

And I actually meant JDS Labs, not Epiphany Acoustics... they both sell pre-built ones but JDS Labs sells them in the states. Dunno why I got mixed up.

That amp should be all you need for practically any headphone. Just make sure the parts you get are for the O2. If I didn't have the E9 as my secondary, I would have bought an O2 myself. Though I'd prefer to wait for the ODA/ODAC combo coming out in the future, as it's more appropriately sized.

May 10, 2012 at 10:52 PM Post #5,426 of 48,561
Quote:
I swear, Chicolom must have some very sensitive ears, because the Q701 is just too low with the Mixamp drving chat at around 2 o clock.

What, your mixamp doesn't have the high gain switch?
cool.gif

May 10, 2012 at 11:58 PM Post #5,427 of 48,561
Hahaha, if only. Though it'd probably add some pretty serious hiss.

May 11, 2012 at 1:08 AM Post #5,428 of 48,561
For my ears, the Mixamp has plenty volume mixed in with the modmic. My wife's ears are even more sensitive to where she says I'm deaf having the volume that loud--and I'm only at 60% gaming online with voice. Everyone's hearing is different, so if the volume not enough for you, bi-amp it. Getting our setup sounding the way we want is what makes all this so fun.

Like I said, I bought the FiiO E11 thinking I would need it, but ended up not needing it. However, I do want to try down the road pairing the Q701 with the M-Stage since it increases its soundstage. I'm also a sucker for large soundstages.

May 11, 2012 at 1:14 AM Post #5,429 of 48,561
Quote:
Isn't the Altoids box for the Cmoy amp. not the O2?
And I actually meant JDS Labs, not Epiphany Acoustics... they both sell pre-built ones but JDS Labs sells them in the states. Dunno why I got mixed up.
That amp should be all you need for practically any headphone. Just make sure the parts you get are for the O2. If I didn't have the E9 as my secondary, I would have bought an O2 myself. Though I'd prefer to wait for the ODA/ODAC combo coming out in the future, as it's more appropriately sized.

Yeah, I got confused on the website. I clicked a link for a BOM and thought it was still for the O2 amp
blink.gif

That sucks. I was excited because I troubleshoot boards to the component level (among other things) for a living. So, when I saw a DIY list I was like Sheeeeet I can do this blindfolded and still do it better than most machine processes. (I am a damn artist with a soldering iron.) Seriously, when I do a 64 pin fine pitch I.C. it looks better than the Pick n' Place machine and I.R. Re-flow oven. The head Electrical Engineer once accused me of lying after replacing one.
cool.gif
  I do not have a big ego. This is just one thing I AM good at.

Well, without a PCB and parts list, the idea of making my own loses it's appeal. I would rather pay than spec. the individual parts. (pain in the *****)

ODA/ODAC??????? I will look this up.

May 11, 2012 at 1:48 AM Post #5,430 of 48,561
The ODA is the desktop version of the O2, though its still a ways off. The ODAC is the DAC made by the guy who brought the O2, so it should be great. Its near release.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back