Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jan 18, 2020 at 2:06 PM Post #43,696 of 48,561
I wasnt sure about this but does the X3 have normal VSS outside of Super X-fi? As in I can still use dolby from my games without using Super Xfi and using SBX instead?
As others have stated, the X3 does offer SBX but given that you mention still being able to “use Dolby from games” it sounds like you mean using it with Xbox or PS to convert bitstreamed Dolby digital 5.1 into SBX virtual surround? The X3 is only compatible with the PS4 and Switch and can’t process multichannel surround from either (or any currently available console). You won’t get the full benefit of SBX for games (or your SXFI preference for movies) as the X3 does not have optical in (it has optical-out only) and consoles are unable to send multichannel over usb (things are limited to 2 channel stereo over USB for PS and Switch while Xbox doesn’t do usb audio at all).

If, on the other hand, you meant PC, then Dolby Digital decoding is kind of irrelevant for PC gaming as PC versions of games are nearly always in multichannel PCM format rather than Dolby Digital. You can use either SBX or SXFI for games or movies, whichever you prefer.

Jan 19, 2020 at 3:54 AM Post #43,697 of 48,561
@SierraMadre

Yes, they ditched the surround box in Winows, I have the latest version of Windows 10.
With the GSX it seems to work best when put on stereo indeed.
I tested with the phones out of my monitor via DP and I must say I got nice results enabling Atmos for headphones.
On Xbox I did it via the headphone out of the TV screen.
I don't have a receiver in my desktop setup yet but I'll get me a cheap one so I can connect my computers and consoles to it via HDMI and go from there to the screen.
I'll either use the phones out on the receiver or connect the stereo pre-out to my desktop amp.

Thanks for you help! :)

Jan 20, 2020 at 1:09 AM Post #43,698 of 48,561
What is a closed back headphone for single player games that has similar layering, separation and detailing of open-back (K702) but packs meatier bass with rumble? My cheap closed-back gaming headset, Steelseries Arctis 7 2019, packs very immersive rumble when shooting heavy cannons or when using melee weapons that make a whoosh sound in the air, but lacks the fidelity, detailing, and separation of the AKG K702 obviously. The K702 on the other hand has a relatively thin and anemic representation of those 2 sounds described before (not sure if it's treble or bass?). So I am looking for a closed back headphone that is an upgrade to the Steelseries Arctis 7 2019. No need for a Mic. M1060c? AD99z? Mobius? Argon MK3? Fostex? or...etc? Don't get me wrong, i am not asking for the same soundstage and imaging in a closed-back as in the K702; I know there will be a compromise.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2020 at 1:25 AM Post #43,699 of 48,561
What is a closed back headphone for single player games that has similar layering, separation and detailing of open-back (K702) but packs meatier bass with rumble? My cheap closed-back gaming headset, Steelseries Arctis 7 2019, packs very immersive rumble when shooting heavy cannons or when using melee weapons that make a whoosh sound in the air, but lacks the fidelity, detailing, and separation of the AKG K702 obviously. The K702 on the other hand has a relatively thin and anemic representation of those 2 sounds described before (not sure if it's treble or bass?). So I am looking for a closed back headphone that is an upgrade to the Steelseries Arctis 7 2019. No need for a Mic. M1060c? AD99z? Mobius? Argon MK3? Fostex? or...etc? Don't get me wrong, i am not asking for the same soundstage and imaging in a closed-back as in the K702; I know there will be a compromise.
You might want to try the Mobius. If so order it with the new gel pads for comfort.

Jan 20, 2020 at 8:09 AM Post #43,700 of 48,561
If you decide to try the Mobius, ensure you buy from somewhere with no-quibble refund/returns. Aside from the usual caveats that apply to most headphones for the individual user (comfort / fit / sound etc.), with Mobius, if you want anything approaching a big soundstage, you *have* to use the built-in Waves NX VSS personalised VSS. If you don’t like it, you can of course turn it off and just pump stereo or another VSS solution into it, but the Mobius has a rather small and intimate soundstage in vanilla stereo mode and other VSS solutions don’t synergise with the Mobius well enough to create the same magnitude of soundstage as the built-in Waves solution does.

Jan 20, 2020 at 9:47 AM Post #43,701 of 48,561
If you decide to try the Mobius, ensure you buy from somewhere with no-quibble refund/returns. Aside from the usual caveats that apply to most headphones for the individual user (comfort / fit / sound etc.), with Mobius, if you want anything approaching a big soundstage, you *have* to use the built-in Waves NX VSS personalised VSS. If you don’t like it, you can of course turn it off and just pump stereo or another VSS solution into it, but the Mobius has a rather small and intimate soundstage in vanilla stereo mode and other VSS solutions don’t synergise with the Mobius well enough to create the same magnitude of soundstage as the built-in Waves solution does.
Firsthand he wanted bass. The Mobius has a clean and deep bass. And yes the soundstage is limited without VSS to begin with. But to me Waves NX is quite well implemented here.

Jan 20, 2020 at 12:46 PM Post #43,702 of 48,561
Thank you. Any other options than the mobius in this regard? Does the argon mk3 achieve these requirements? Any other fostex? M1060c? Ad99z? Sony? DT770? The few reviews of the mobius on amazon.ca totally threw me off.
Just to make sure i have the right selection in my mind.

Jan 20, 2020 at 1:41 PM Post #43,703 of 48,561
Firsthand he wanted bass.
. . . - but with an expansive soundstage. . .

Mobius has a clean and deep bass. And yes the soundstage is limited without VSS to begin with. But to me Waves NX is quite well implemented here.

I know the Mobius has good bass. I wasn't warning him/her off your recommendation, or slating Waves NX, I think it's one of the better VSS implementations out there, but fact is not everyone likes it and if bought from somewhere that doesn't offer no-quibble returns then he/she could be stuck with excellent bass but little of the desired soundstage.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2020 at 1:51 PM Post #43,704 of 48,561

I have the Argon MK2's (well the Argon version of the Mass Drop T-X0) and I use them for just about all of my gaming. They aren't completely closed, but they isolate better than anything I currently own. I do not like them though for Call of Duty MW. I use the ATH-AD700X mostly, but sometimes the HD58X. The Argon's need an amp though, so don't expect them to work well straight out of a controller if on console.

I'd love to hear anyone who has the M1060C though. I've got the M1060 and curious about the closed version.

Jan 20, 2020 at 2:08 PM Post #43,705 of 48,561
Thank you. Any other options than the mobius in this regard? Does the argon mk3 achieve these requirements? Any other fostex? M1060c? Ad99z? Sony? DT770? The few reviews of the mobius on amazon.ca totally threw me off.
Just to make sure i have the right selection in my mind.
The argons are very good headphones for bass. Yet they still sound very clear. It’s the only headphone I know of that has head shaking levels of bass while maintaining excellent clarity. The cool thing is that it’s not just bass all the time only when the music calls for it. Pretty wide sound stage decent imaging. With the zmf oval pads it comes with is not the best for competitive because the bass becomes a distraction. However if you swap perf universe Lambskin pads on them now they’re awesome for competitive.

Jan 20, 2020 at 3:27 PM Post #43,706 of 48,561
. . . - but with an expansive soundstage. . .

I know the Mobius has good bass. I wasn't warning him/her off your recommendation, or slating Waves NX, I think it's one of the better VSS implementations out there, but fact is not everyone likes it and if bought from somewhere that doesn't offer no-quibble returns then he/she could be stuck with excellent bass but little of the desired soundstage.
Well then let me recommend the Sony Z7. It has a big bass and a reasonable soundstage without VSS at all. He can then use the VSS he likes best.

Jan 20, 2020 at 3:53 PM Post #43,707 of 48,561
Well then let me recommend the Sony Z7. It has a big bass and a reasonable soundstage without VSS at all. He can then use the VSS he likes best.

Ditto on the Z7, it has a nice mellow sound signature. I owned a Z5 and even that was really nice for gaming. I regret selling my Z5 and EX1000 (I left this hobby 2 years ago and just came back thanks to PC gaming lol, I used to talk to you about sony gears back in the day, been awhile!).

@ronfifer Some other closed backs or semi open: Audioquest Nighthawks and Nightowl, as well as Sennheiser HD 630VB. The Audioquest headphones go for really cheap on the used market and the sennheiser one has a bass dial IIRC.

Jan 20, 2020 at 4:42 PM Post #43,708 of 48,561
Ditto on the Z7, it has a nice mellow sound signature. I owned a Z5 and even that was really nice for gaming. I regret selling my Z5 and EX1000 (I left this hobby 2 years ago and just came back thanks to PC gaming lol, I used to talk to you about sony gears back in the day, been awhile!).

@ronfifer Some other closed backs or semi open: Audioquest Nighthawks and Nightowl, as well as Sennheiser HD 630VB. The Audioquest headphones go for really cheap on the used market and the sennheiser one has a bass dial IIRC.
Welcome back then my friend.

Jan 21, 2020 at 3:26 PM Post #43,709 of 48,561
My gaming headset is now complete. :)

y4mSu1np2bg8w5WORo8lHY2ZRA0bWYhIDbbqnqvUnWBC_iv123PkRuDdkvm0-4v-VFGc49gGrkRTxVuk8vEvWzeBBbLyQIgHw3zGk3hlVXIs2U-M6wtZ49HcnS_M1BExu355GWWdDGm5oGwOmcnQ9jhdnBEHoZ2HU_IKYFe_6t9wAtV1hjJH93NUUJLg6JQ5SYUVv5U-3gulyYjFPz2HqLXlQ

Added an Antilon Modmic Uni, and snaked the mic cable through the coiled stock cable. Mic plugged into the G6, and since I don't adjust main volume off the G6, I can keep the kewl red LED lighting for the mic volume up 24/7. Darth Vader Girl approves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back