Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Nov 25, 2014 at 1:11 PM Post #27,211 of 48,561
  Oke, but under specs it says on the Sennheiser website "connector: 2x3.5mm for desktop/laptop pc" and also in the box a 3D USB adaptor. So it does uses two 3.5mm jacks or am I reading something wrong? 

Source http://en-us.sennheiser.com/gaming-headset-pc-363d

It looks like the USB bit isn't attached, it's just a dongle that you plug the 3.5mm things into?  

Nov 25, 2014 at 1:41 PM Post #27,212 of 48,561

It looks like the USB bit isn't attached, it's just a dongle that you plug the 3.5mm things into?  

Yeah the headset just has 2 x 3.5mm jack as you can see in the video posted by Martin just above your own post. And then you can choose to attach the USB surround dongle, but that won't work on PS4 I guess? For PS4 just attach it to the Mixamp and then the Mixamp with optical and usb to PS4? 

Soundwise, what do you guys think of the PC 363D, is it a worth buy? The guy on the video calls it an upgraded version of the PC 360 and MLE was positive in his review of the PC 360. 

Nov 25, 2014 at 1:49 PM Post #27,213 of 48,561
  Yeah the headset just has 2 x 3.5mm jack as you can see in the video posted by Martin just above your own post. And then you can choose to attach the USB surround dongle, but that won't work on PS4 I guess? For PS4 just attach it to the Mixamp and then the Mixamp with optical and usb to PS4? 

Soundwise, what do you guys think of the PC 363D, is it a worth buy? The guy on the video calls it an upgraded version of the PC 360 and MLE was positive in his review of the PC 360. 

Yeah, Martin likes posting videos, but I'm at work so I can't watch them.  :wink:

But yeah, can't use the USB bit on the console.  Save $50 and get the G4ME One (which is also an upgraded version of the PC360) IMO.  You're paying more for the dongle that you'll never use.

Nov 25, 2014 at 2:08 PM Post #27,214 of 48,561
Ok so I have pc360s right now and they are fantastic although I am not properly using them to their fullest extent (X7 hopefully will do wonders!) and now I am reeealllyy tempted to get the AKG K7XX. Should I? I kinda want to cuz of how amazing I hear they are and the price and ARGH. Input? A little less than 500 left before hitting 2000

Nov 25, 2014 at 2:14 PM Post #27,215 of 48,561
  Ok so I have pc360s right now and they are fantastic although I am not properly using them to their fullest extent (X7 hopefully will do wonders!) and now I am reeealllyy tempted to get the AKG K7XX. Should I? I kinda want to cuz of how amazing I hear they are and the price and ARGH. Input? A little less than 500 left before hitting 2000

Some dude in the comments on Massdrop said he contacted AKG and they said it's based off the K712 with the Annie pads.  Go read the K712 review and see what you think.

Nov 25, 2014 at 2:26 PM Post #27,216 of 48,561
Guys, does anyone know whether the Massdrop K7XX earpads are deeper than the stock K612 earpads, thus more similar to the classic K702 pads?
Thanks in advance :}

Nov 25, 2014 at 2:32 PM Post #27,217 of 48,561
  Guys, does anyone know whether the Massdrop K7XX earpads are deeper than the stock K612 earpads, thus more similar to the classic K702 pads?
Thanks in advance :}

People are guessing it's the "early" Annie pads, before they changed them to be the same as the K712.  I don't know if this helps at all...

Nov 25, 2014 at 2:34 PM Post #27,218 of 48,561

Some dude in the comments on Massdrop said he contacted AKG and they said it's based off the K712 with the Annie pads.  Go read the K712 review and see what you think.

Interesting. Well I have yet to see anything about the K712 being bad in anyway. I wanted to hold off until I saw some good closed cans for gaming but the AKG K7XX are looking like a steal the more I research. PC360s are great for gaming but seem like not as much fun as the 712s... ok i will stop writing as now I am just thinking out loud on here lol

Nov 25, 2014 at 2:37 PM Post #27,219 of 48,561

People are guessing it's the "early" Annie pads, before they changed them to be the same as the K712.  I don't know if this helps at all...

Does not, sorry 
redface.gif

I needed to know how they compare to the K612 or K702 pads, I am not familiar with the early K712 ones, the latest ones are the deepest of the bunch. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 25, 2014 at 2:42 PM Post #27,220 of 48,561
By the way, I was watching Linus Tech Tips on youtube and he has now talked about the AKGs on his youtube account sooo i think they are going to start selling fast. I am gonna buy them. Whats the worst that could happen? Lol.

Edit: Typo lol and also, I have now bought them so thats one less! 

Nov 25, 2014 at 3:02 PM Post #27,221 of 48,561
With all the hoopla about the AKG K7XX, I'm trying to process all the info and come to a decision. I would really appreciate feedback.

My primary use - or the use that I weigh more heavily - for headphones will be gaming, a combination of competitive fps (COD, Halo), sports games (FIFA), racing games (Forza) and some single player games. I currently have a 2014 Mixamp Pro and Audio Technica AD700. I have had my eye on the Q701 for some time, and was planning on purchasing it at some point. The release of the K7XX has changed things. 

Considering these things would the AKG K7XX be a no-brainer over the Q701? I could always try the Q701 pads to see if I prefer them for competitive gaming over the K7XX pads. Plus the AKG K7XX has a more comfortable headband. 

I will try the AKG + mic with the Mixamp Pro alone, but if I find it lacking power, what DAC/Amp would you guys recommend I pair with the K7XX? I would like to keep the price in the $100 range. 

Nov 25, 2014 at 3:04 PM Post #27,222 of 48,561
The AKGs are amazing and great values... You can have headphones a little more technically proficient when you buy Summit-Fi headphones, but even with my STAX I still find that I really enjoy listening to my K612 too.

According to reports, the original Annie pads were less deep and if the KXX are using those then they're probably about as deep as the K612 pads (though memory foam), while K712 pads are juuuust a little bit deeper, like hard-to-see-how-much deeper. On many-hour gaming sessions, sometimes I miss the featherweight AD700, it was easier for me to forget the partially on-ear pads of the AD700 (meant to push/angle your ears against your head) than the slight weight increase of the AKGs (235g or 238g is still really light!), but both were great for me and five hours of gaming... This includes the K612.

If you have a Mixamp already and want more power, you won't find a substantially better DAC that processes virtual surround until you get the X7 which is definitely a higher-grade component than fits in a $100 budget. A few inexpensive options for just an AMP that you can plug into the Mixamp (and thus use the chat balance feature) would be a FiiO E11k or a Fred_Fred_2004 3-channels amp (custom built in an Altoids tin, with a 9v battery, reviewed in head-Fi member ClieOS portable amp roundup). Of the entry-level DACs that process surround sound (wish we could call them gamer DACs, calling them "Mixamps" is like Kleenex, using one brand that's not the best to name an entire product segment), I haven't heard Tritton's processor but all the other gamer DACs sound a little better than a Mixamp... I choose to get by without external chat balance mixing.

Nov 25, 2014 at 3:06 PM Post #27,223 of 48,561
  With all the hoopla about the AKG K7XX, I'm trying to process all the info and come to a decision. I would really appreciate feedback.

My primary use - or the use that I weigh more heavily - for headphones will be gaming, a combination of competitive fps (COD, Halo), sports games (FIFA), racing games (Forza) and some single player games. I currently have a 2014 Mixamp Pro and Audio Technica AD700. I have had my eye on the Q701 for some time, and was planning on purchasing it at some point. The release of the K7XX has changed things. 

Considering these things would the AKG K7XX be a no-brainer over the Q701? I could always try the Q701 pads to see if I prefer them for competitive gaming over the K7XX pads. Plus the AKG K7XX has a more comfortable headband. 

I will try the AKG + mic with the Mixamp Pro alone, but if I find it lacking power, what DAC/Amp would you guys recommend I pair with the K7XX? I would like to keep the price in the $100 range. 

IMHO, yes, the K7XX is a no-brainer over the Q701.  Are you looking for a desktop amp or a portable amp?  Pretty much anything in the amp section of the guide will work fine.

Nov 25, 2014 at 3:21 PM Post #27,225 of 48,561
The AKGs are amazing and great values... You can have headphones a little more technically proficient when you buy Summit-Fi headphones, but even with my STAX I still find that I really enjoy listening to my K612 too.

According to reports, the original Annie pads were less deep and if the KXX are using those then they're probably about as deep as the K612 pads (though memory foam), while K712 pads are juuuust a little bit deeper, like hard-to-see-how-much deeper. On many-hour gaming sessions, sometimes I miss the featherweight AD700, it was easier for me to forget the partially on-ear pads of the AD700 (meant to push/angle your ears against your head) than the slight weight increase of the AKGs (235g or 238g is still really light!), but both were great for me and five hours of gaming... This includes the K612.

If you have a Mixamp already and want more power, you won't find a substantially better DAC that processes virtual surround until you get the X7 which is definitely a higher-grade component than fits in a $100 budget. A few inexpensive options for just an AMP that you can plug into the Mixamp (and thus use the chat balance feature) would be a FiiO E11k or a Fred_Fred_2004 3-channels amp (custom built in an Altoids tin, with a 9v battery, reviewed in head-Fi member ClieOS portable amp roundup). Of the entry-level DACs that process surround sound (wish we could call them gamer DACs, calling them "Mixamps" is like Kleenex, using one brand that's not the best to name an entire product segment), I haven't heard Tritton's processor but all the other gamer DACs sound a little better than a Mixamp... I choose to get by without external chat balance mixing.

Does that mean the K702 pads are deeper than both? I had both the K612 and K702 pads with me and found the K702 substantially deeper and more comfortable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back