Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Feb 19, 2014 at 1:46 PM Post #21,061 of 48,561
Quote:
No. the only closed headphones that isolate well that I've experienced are:

HD201
Pro 900
DT770 Pro 80
M50
SHP2500
DT770 600 ohm
HP800
Mad Dog
Alpha Dog
DNA Pro

Out of all of these, the ones I'd use for gaming and music are the last 3. Only the Alpha Dog truly impresses on all fronts. The Mad Dog and DNA pro are amazing for music, good for gaming, but not blow your socks off amazing in pure competitive gameplay.

I'm not really a fan of closed headphone gaming.

what closed(good isolation) headphones would you prefer for competitive gaming?

He literally just answered that question.

Feb 19, 2014 at 1:50 PM Post #21,062 of 48,561
He literally did not, he said that on that list as the headphones that are closed and isolate well. The last 3 are for gaming/music.

Now in that list i suppose there are 3 categories
-good for music only
-good for competitive gaming
-good for music/gaming (balanced)

Or did i miss something?

Feb 19, 2014 at 3:33 PM Post #21,063 of 48,561
He literally did not, he said that on that list as the headphones that are closed and isolate well. The last 3 are for gaming/music.

-good for music only

Or did i miss something?

I believe the "go to" closed headset for competitive sound whoring would be alpha dogs, then mad dogs then, from what I have both read and got answered, a mix from dt770, hp100s and Aurvana. Please correct me if I'm incorrect. Myself, leaning towards dt770s but leaning more toward the hp100s.

To me, both dogs are physically ugly but sound phenomenal. The downside is they cost 2x more than my car payment/month.

Feb 19, 2014 at 4:04 PM Post #21,064 of 48,561

-good for music only

Or did i miss something?

You missed something. Re-read his comments and check out the ones he mentioned in the guide. The impressions make it pretty clear which ones are favored for what.

Feb 19, 2014 at 5:37 PM Post #21,065 of 48,561
Yes, i get it now, thanks.

So im thinking based on the reviews,
-DNA pro
-Pro 900
-Mad Dog (not sure they ship to portugal, and if they do its probably way more expensive than for US[shipping+tax], no?)

Also the Alpha dogs and the D7000, but the alpha are too expensive for me, same for D7000.

I also came across the new Creative Aurvana Live 2 Platinum which have ANC, any opinions on these for competitive gaming?

Feb 19, 2014 at 5:44 PM Post #21,066 of 48,561
  I also came across the new Creative Aurvana Live 2 Platinum which have ANC, any opinions on these for competitive gaming?

FWIR the CAL2! is ineferior to the original CAL! (which is also cheaper).

Feb 19, 2014 at 6:02 PM Post #21,068 of 48,561
  EDIT: Did you read stuff about the Platinum edition or the others or both? The platinum have 50mm, while the others have 40mm

I don't know anything about the "platinum", but for $300 it had better be pretty damn good.  Given that it has a similar housing design as the CAL2, I'm going to assume that the "platinum" is not worth the price until proven otherwise.

Feb 19, 2014 at 7:55 PM Post #21,070 of 48,561
I just received the dt990 pro 250 ohms and FiiO e17+e09k combo that I ordered.  I seem to be having some issues though.  I have the e09k plugged into my computer via usb, e17 docked, headphones plugged in, and can power on the device.  I can hear audio but only for a short amount of time (anywhere from a few seconds to a few minutes) and then the audio just stops all together.  If I turn the e09k off and then back on I again have audio for a short amount of time only for it to stop again.  What am I doing wrong/missing? 

Feb 19, 2014 at 8:37 PM Post #21,071 of 48,561
  I just received the dt990 pro 250 ohms and FiiO e17+e09k combo that I ordered.  I seem to be having some issues though.  I have the e09k plugged into my computer via usb, e17 docked, headphones plugged in, and can power on the device.  I can hear audio but only for a short amount of time (anywhere from a few seconds to a few minutes) and then the audio just stops all together.  If I turn the e09k off and then back on I again have audio for a short amount of time only for it to stop again.  What am I doing wrong/missing? 

Try undocking the E17 and plug that directly into the computer.  PC USB > E17 > Headphones.  See if it cuts out then.  If it keeps playing fine, then you've got a defective E09k.  I bought a E09k that was DOA just after xmas.  Swapped it at the store for another one, and the new one... the blue LED is dying, like sometimes it stays on, sometimes it'll flicker, then go out completely.  Audio still works though.  This thing is only 2 months old.  Gotta find time to bring it back to the store again.  Ugh.  I wish the store would hurry up and restock the Asgard 2 so I could buy that.

Feb 19, 2014 at 8:44 PM Post #21,072 of 48,561

Try undocking the E17 and plug that directly into the computer.  PC USB > E17 > Headphones.  See if it cuts out then.  If it keeps playing fine, then you've got a defective E09k.  I bought a E09k that was DOA just after xmas.  Swapped it at the store for another one, and the new one... the blue LED is dying, like sometimes it stays on, sometimes it'll flicker, then go out completely.  Audio still works though.  This thing is only 2 months old.  Gotta find time to bring it back to the store again.  Ugh.  I wish the store would hurry up and restock the Asgard 2 so I could buy that.

Okay.  I'll give this a try.  

Progress Update:  I actually made it through a song with just the e17 and not the e09k!

Edit:  So Since I have just gone directly out of the e17 I have had no issues.  I think we have found the problem.  A bad e09k.

I guess I will be returning it for a refund unless there is just simply some option/setting I am missing somewhere?

Feb 19, 2014 at 11:06 PM Post #21,075 of 48,561
  Hi MadLustEnvy,

im currently use Creative Aurana Live for gaming and movies.

i find that the volume and bass is lacking ?

any recommendation of amplifier to amplify the sound ?

You need to give more info. 

Gaming and movies...on PC or on a console?  What's your current setup/source?  The CALs aren't hard to drive, so you either have a weak source or something is off.

The CALs are already bass-heavy, and an amp won't really increase the bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back