Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Feb 19, 2014 at 7:10 AM Post #21,046 of 48,562
I'm kind of over headphones in general, and don't use my MA900s much either.

Why?

As for myself, I'll be waiting to move to a place where I can setup large speakers more freely and improve a bit on my HT. That would be the moment where I tone down the headphone collection. 

Feb 19, 2014 at 7:32 AM Post #21,047 of 48,562
I dunno, I guess its the comfort of not wearing anything? Kinda wanna get another soundbar for the tv. Whwnever I need headphones... the monster cans are doing fine, as well as my clip ons

Feb 19, 2014 at 8:43 AM Post #21,048 of 48,562
hello,

I have a problem, i need closed (isolating) headphones with the best possible "competitive rating" to use at counter strike global offensive lan's. I understand its better to be open for surround, but for me this is pretty much impossible, or i'd keep using my pc363d. I know im talking PC here, but i need headphone advice and am having trouble finding it.

I dont have a sound card, i intend to buy one as well so no restrictions there (advice on this issue would also be appreciated, but im here for headphones).

From what i can gather, Mad Dogs are my best option, because the alpha dogs and the d7000 are much more expensive. However in the review it says that they are more fun than competitive. Are there other options available with better "competitive"?

How would the mad dogs compare to something like the g4me zero, the akg 550 or the ath-a900x in competitive terms?

Feb 19, 2014 at 10:30 AM Post #21,050 of 48,562
About to move out unexpectedly (in the coming weeks, due to a-hole roommate moving out and not paying his share of bills), so I need so emergency funds.

Selling my MA900: $140 total. PM if interested.

Feb 19, 2014 at 11:03 AM Post #21,051 of 48,562
I'd look into the Soundmagic HP100, Mad Dog, or even the new AKG K545 for closed options at your price range.

Thank you for you reply.

I have read (and reread about 50x) the OP guide. To be straight-forward, I get rather confused with the scoring. I understand each score pertains to each headphone BUT it would be nice if the cans were separated into Open/Closed categories. His recommendations for "All-a-rounders" is also confusing. Some are listed in the competitive section but not in the fun category and vice-verse.

Simple question: are there any CLOSED (great isolation from outside noise) cans that can be regard as the #1 go-to for both great sounding music and gaming? HP100's/HP200's? I find the Mad Dogs ugly but will definitely sacrifice the "look" for great cans. They are also rather expensive. Finally, I have read mixed reviews on the AKG K545's. If it helps, my main genre of music is hip-hop, RnB, some rock and electronica. My main gaming perspective is FPS (COD, BF) on consoles. Again, I own the A40's along with the 5.8 Mixamp. Thanks again for all replies.

Feb 19, 2014 at 11:09 AM Post #21,053 of 48,562
  Thank you for you reply.

I have read (and reread about 50x) the OP guide. To be straight-forward, I get rather confused with the scoring. I understand each score pertains to each headphone BUT it would be nice if the cans were separated into Open/Closed categories. His recommendations for "All-a-rounders" is also confusing. Some are listed in the competitive section but not in the fun category and vice-verse.

Simple question: are there any CLOSED (great isolation from outside noise) cans that can be regard as the #1 go-to for both great sounding music and gaming? HP100's/HP200's? I find the Mad Dogs ugly but will definitely sacrifice the "look" for great cans. They are also rather expensive. Finally, I have read mixed reviews on the AKG K545's. If it helps, my main genre of music is hip-hop, RnB, some rock and electronica. My main gaming perspective is FPS (COD, BF) on consoles. Again, I own the A40's along with the 5.8 Mixamp. Thanks again for all replies.

There's always the MMX 300's or their equivalent non-headset model.

Feb 19, 2014 at 1:02 PM Post #21,057 of 48,562
No. the only closed headphones that isolate well that I've experienced are:

HD201
Pro 900
DT770 Pro 80
M50
SHP2500
DT770 600 ohm
HP800
Mad Dog
Alpha Dog
DNA Pro

Out of all of these, the ones I'd use for gaming and music are the last 3. Only the Alpha Dog truly impresses on all fronts. The Mad Dog and DNA pro are amazing for music, good for gaming, but not blow your socks off amazing in pure competitive gameplay.

I'm not really a fan of closed headphone gaming.

Feb 19, 2014 at 1:05 PM Post #21,058 of 48,562
No. the only closed headphones that isolate well that I've experienced are:

Pro 900
DT770 Pro 80
HP800
Mad Dog
Alpha Dog
DNA Pro

Out of all of these, the ones I'd use for gaming and music are the last 3. Only the Alpha Dog truly impresses on all fronts. the Mad Dog and DNA pro are amazing for music, good for gaming, but not blow your socks off amazing in pure competitiv gameplay.

Thank you for making this a lot clearer. I have been searching your thread and various other sites for a straight forward answer. Hopefully, your post here will help others; if not save them time. Much appreciated!

Feb 19, 2014 at 1:12 PM Post #21,059 of 48,562
I've added a few more to the last post.

My favorite closed headphones in general (all forms of media):

Creative Aurvana Live
D7000
Alpha Dog
Mad Dog

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back