MAD Ear+ Purist HD thread.
Feb 24, 2012 at 10:23 AM Post #886 of 1,382

Quote:
I think it wasn't just a power thing, but also a synergy thing with the MAD Ear+HD. That said, the Super II looks like it might be a better match in both regards.
smile.gif

I recently asked Dr. Lloyd about using LCD-2/3 and HE-500 with his amps. He said the same thing, recommending the Super II over the +HD
I wonder if he'd consider building a new more powerful amp, suited to both dynamic and planar ... I'd buy one for sure
atsmile.gif

Feb 29, 2012 at 10:11 AM Post #887 of 1,382
I want to pose a question;
It seems that the amount of discussion about the EAR+ has died down quite a bit.  Is there a reason?  Is it the rise of the Orthos, and the apparent inability of the EAR+ to drive them, or is there just better (or less expensive) alternatives that have become available in the past year?  Don't get me wrong, I've placed my order (& actually bumped it up to the Super), so my decision has been made.  Just interested.

Feb 29, 2012 at 1:58 PM Post #888 of 1,382
I think the MAD amps still represent good value for a mid-tier/priced amp especially if you have Grado's or other low impedance phones. The headphone amp market has grown considerably since when I started this hobby and there's just too many options and flavors to choose from. Rise of orthos and other hard to drive headphones probably have something to do with it too. People are always looking for more power even when they don't really need it.

I've since moved on and do most of my listening with speakers at the moment. Only because it's more convenient for me versus wearing headphones, I feel a bit constricted. I do enjoy listening with headphones every now and then though.

Feb 29, 2012 at 2:12 PM Post #889 of 1,382
I think the MAD Ear is just a proven established design and everything in this thread is still valid.  Adding more would probably be repetitive info.  It could be like the LCD-2 thread that gets 100 posts a day because of ridiculous comments and continuously repeated questions.

I still listen to my Ear+ HD often even though I have a couple of other fancier and more powerful amps.  In fact, I regularly listen to my LCD-2's on my MAD.

If you look, it does not look like the the que for amp builds at Mapletree has ever emptied out so there must be  a steady continuous demand for new amps.  The thread may have gone a little stale but requests for new amps must not have.

It is unfortunate that the explosive growth in ortho's has everything thinking they must have the newest most powerful amps out there.

Feb 29, 2012 at 5:45 PM Post #890 of 1,382
Thanks for your comments, it makes me feel better.  I have a constant feeling that I'm at least 2 years behind everyone else when it comes to "What's Hot".  Maybe that's a good thing
biggrin.gif

Feb 29, 2012 at 8:01 PM Post #891 of 1,382
I'll never get rid of my MAD Ear+ HD. It's a wonderful amp that drives high and low impedance headphones alike just fine. It has no problem driving my 600 ohm Beyers as well as the LCD-2. Great amp from a great builder.

As far as why this thread hasn't gotten much attention as of late...well, in this hobby people tend to always want the latest thing that comes around, but that doesn't diminish the quality of the tried and true products like the Ear+.

Mar 14, 2012 at 8:38 PM Post #896 of 1,382
OK, Super II has arrived!  I'll give it a few days of break in before I'll comment.  So far, it's a significant improvement over the Darkvoice 336SE I had been using.  I can't wait to start tube rolling.

Mar 15, 2012 at 9:18 AM Post #897 of 1,382
Doesn't seem that the LCD-2s are a good match for the Super II as well.  Bloated base & definately runs out of steam during more complicated passages.  VERY BUMMED!  I'm going to let the amp burn in today and try again tonight.  I love the RS1s, but I really got to enjoy the LCD-2s tight base when being driven by my pre-amp.  Anyone have opinions on other options?  Beyer T1? Senn HD700? Denon A-7000?

Mar 16, 2012 at 10:32 AM Post #898 of 1,382
Update, after letting the amp burn in for the day yesterday, and changing the 5751s, the LCD-2s sound so much better then last night.  So, I'm using the Genalex Gold Line GL84s and GE 5751 TMBP halo top getters.  As an aside, I found that the LCD-2 head positioning makes a huge difference in the sound sign.  I guess it's more specific & pronounced to Orthos.

Mar 19, 2012 at 6:12 PM Post #899 of 1,382
My newest toy set up - the MAD Ear +HD LR 1+

I didin't mean for the bottom part to have a different front panel.  It looks a lot better the way it is individually but I think when combined they should be the same?

I've been looking for a high quality switch for a while and then just had the LR 1+ custom made.  I can connect 4 sources to it and 2 outputs (individually or combined).  I haven't hooked it up yet.  But I think no matter what amp/amps I'm using the line router will be useful.  But I thought this was a logical product for Dr P to have and was assuming there would be interest in it so I'm posting it here...

Mar 19, 2012 at 9:56 PM Post #900 of 1,382

Quote:
Update, after letting the amp burn in for the day yesterday, and changing the 5751s, the LCD-2s sound so much better then last night.  So, I'm using the Genalex Gold Line GL84s and GE 5751 TMBP halo top getters.  As an aside, I found that the LCD-2 head positioning makes a huge difference in the sound sign.  I guess it's more specific & pronounced to Ortho

Maybe you could try some 12AX7 instead of the 5751 ??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back