MAD Ear+ Purist HD thread.
Jul 11, 2011 at 6:31 PM Post #871 of 1,382
So I just need to change the single input tube? 

Quote:
Dr LLoyd has stated, and its come up in this thread a couple times, that changing the power tubes have a much smaller effect.  I have not tried but there is a set up tubes that I'd like to try so if I ever see them I'll swap out power tubes myself.

I don't normally give tonal/ sound signature answers because I don't feel qualified but - I found the Genelex tube to be a warm tube and though I do enjoy it, I don't like it at all with my HD650's.  And since I feel that the LCD-2 sounds to me to be a lot like the 650 (only obviously much nicer) then my guess is that it may not be the best fit.  But that's just me so if it goes against anyone else's recco then....

Jul 11, 2011 at 8:24 PM Post #872 of 1,382

Quote:

I have to say Dr. Peppard never ceases to impress me with his wares. Later this week i'm going to order a LR-1. Anyone know if they are point-to-point wired?

Probably better off asking Lloyd, but I can't imagine it any other way.

Quote:
So I just need to change the single input tube?

For starters, yes.  Rumor has it the power tubes do not change the sound very much.  Keeps tube rolling simple and cheap(ish).
biggrin.gif

Jul 11, 2011 at 8:28 PM Post #873 of 1,382

I'm no expert, but the 5751/12AX7 tube is known as the input tube.  The Ear+ HD amps are not tube-rectified.  Someone please correct me if I'm mistaken.

Someone like Macedonian Hero should chime in, but I asked this question (w.r.t. Ear+ HD) earlier in this thread.  I gathered that, in general, people thought the Ear+ HD sounded great with the LCD-2.  The Super II with about 4x more power on tap should drive the LCD-2 just... well, super.

I personally didn't like the MAD Ear+HD and my LCD-2s...regardless of which tube I rolled in (several 5751s and 12AX7s). It only puts out a maximum of 170mW and I felt it was underpowered and just too lush with the LCD-2s. I haven't heard the Super II, but by many reports it is a good match with them.

For under $500...or even $1000, I haven't heard a better amp with the LCD-2s than the Lyr (with the 6922 Genalex Gold Lions)...4 Watts into 50 ohms really kicks like a mule.

Jul 13, 2011 at 8:58 AM Post #874 of 1,382

Quote:
I have a pair of LCD-2 on it's way.  I currently use my Mad Ear HD with Grado RS1, but what tubes would provide the extra gain and treble extension for the LCD-2?

thanks

I think you may be disappointed with the pairing.  I run my LCD-2's with the Super, and it is barely adequate power-wise.  At my listening levels, however, I'm VERY happy with the sound.  But as Macedonian Hero said, I doubt you will be fully satisfied with the Ear HD.  Your best bet is to use higher-gain input tubes, unless you modify your amp to run higher B+ levels.  And if you are running Blackgates, you can't even do that, since you'll exceed the voltage limits of the caps that Dr. Lloyd uses (scraping the bottom of the Blackgate barrel -- sigh). 

So, I agree with the recommendations for 12AX7's in your amp, and the Gold Lions are the best of current production.  For NOS, try a set of Amperex Bugle Boys, from the 1960's, or for a cleaner but less-round sound perhaps a set of Siemens & Halske ECC83 from the same period.  Let us know what you think!

Jul 13, 2011 at 9:57 PM Post #875 of 1,382
Yes, even the Grado RA-1 sounds better with the LCD-2 than MAD EAR.  It's too lush.  I'll be in the future looking to the Lyr.

Quote:
I think you may be disappointed with the pairing.  I run my LCD-2's with the Super, and it is barely adequate power-wise.  At my listening levels, however, I'm VERY happy with the sound.  But as Macedonian Hero said, I doubt you will be fully satisfied with the Ear HD.  Your best bet is to use higher-gain input tubes, unless you modify your amp to run higher B+ levels.  And if you are running Blackgates, you can't even do that, since you'll exceed the voltage limits of the caps that Dr. Lloyd uses (scraping the bottom of the Blackgate barrel -- sigh). 

So, I agree with the recommendations for 12AX7's in your amp, and the Gold Lions are the best of current production.  For NOS, try a set of Amperex Bugle Boys, from the 1960's, or for a cleaner but less-round sound perhaps a set of Siemens & Halske ECC83 from the same period.  Let us know what you think!

Jul 14, 2011 at 12:23 AM Post #876 of 1,382

Quote:
I personally didn't like the MAD Ear+HD and my LCD-2s...regardless of which tube I rolled in (several 5751s and 12AX7s). It only puts out a maximum of 170mW and I felt it was underpowered and just too lush with the LCD-2s. I haven't heard the Super II, but by many reports it is a good match with them.

For under $500...or even $1000, I haven't heard a better amp with the LCD-2s than the Lyr (with the 6922 Genalex Gold Lions)...4 Watts into 50 ohms really kicks like a mule.

X2.  But my guess is that it's an issue of signatures- I've found that the lush sound of Ear+ HD is well suited for bright headphones that need taming (RS-1, Edition 8) and the brighter headphone amp on my dac (Lavry DA11) is better suited for dark headphones like LCD-2 & HE-500 that need treble extension & emphasis.  I suspect that it's not just an issue of current because a head-fier with a Lavry (.75 W @ 50 ohm) and a Lyr (4 W @ 50 ohm) couldn't hear a difference with LCD-2.

Jul 14, 2011 at 8:36 PM Post #877 of 1,382

X2.  But my guess is that it's an issue of signatures- I've found that the lush sound of Ear+ HD is well suited for bright headphones that need taming (RS-1, Edition 8) and the brighter headphone amp on my dac (Lavry DA11) is better suited for dark headphones like LCD-2 & HE-500 that need treble extension & emphasis.  I suspect that it's not just an issue of current because a head-fier with a Lavry (.75 W @ 50 ohm) and a Lyr (4 W @ 50 ohm) couldn't hear a difference with LCD-2.

But the Ear+HD puts on a MAX of only 0.17W....not enough to get your foot in the door with orthos IMO.

Aug 21, 2011 at 12:06 AM Post #878 of 1,382
Quick question!

I currently use three headphones: Westone ES5, Grado HF2 and HD600.
My source is an iBasso D6 hooked up to foobar + FLAC which probably is not doing any of the headphones justice.
As a result, I am looking to purchase my first desktop amp.

Based on what I have read, I believe the HD+ or Super II would be a good match for all three headphones?
Always wanted to hear the magical Grado and MAD synergy.
Just hoping the HD600 will play nice with a MAD amp as well.
Would be looking to pair the MAD amp with a Cambridge DACmagic.

Aug 21, 2011 at 1:27 AM Post #879 of 1,382
I don't have any experience with the Westones, so I have no observations to offer pertaining to them.  What I can say, though, about the Grado HF2 and the Senn HD600 is that the MAD Ear+ HD drives them both really well.  And here's the nice bonus - they are both driven really well using the same tubes, in my experience and estimation.  So, no need to stock up on different manufacturers or vintages of tubes to optimize each of them.  Nope, the same tubes which bring out the best from the HF2 will also work really well with the HD600.  While I've touched on the subject of tubes, for the past few years, my favorites in the MAD Ear+ HD are: a Sovtek 12AX7 sold by sandyphoto on eBay, usually with the title - "Best 12AX7 I've ever heard - No Really!"  And the 12B4A tubes that I've liked the best so far are: NOS RCA or Marconi.  I purchased one set of what "National Electronics 12B4A's" because they had a red label on each tube.  I was hoping to purchase a pair of GE Red Label 12B4A's (which marroyo has recommended a few times), and I was hoping that these Nat Elec Red Label tubes might be (because of the red label) rebranded GE's and offer me the same goodness of which marroyo had posted.  And, to my pleasant surprise, I heard an appreciable - but more subtle than striking - improvement in sound quality using the Nat Elec red label 12B4A's.  Unfortunately, I've looked a number of times since, and I can't find more of the Nat Elec red label 12B4A's or any of the GE Red Label 12B4A's.  So, when this pair I've got goes, I'll replace them from the stock of NOS RCA's and Marconi's I've laid in and keep on listenin'.

But, I'll end on the topic at hand - to my listening, the MAD Ear+ HD works really well with both Grado HF2 and Senn HD600 phones - with the same tubes used in it for both phones.  What I've just posted for the HD600 does not also apply to the HD650 (as I've also previously posted).  The MAD Ear+ HD is not my favorite amp for the HD650 - the Purity Audio KICAS Caliente is - so that's not at all an issue for me.

Feb 23, 2012 at 3:07 PM Post #882 of 1,382
I know this thread has been dormant for a while, but I'd like to pose a question.  I have a EAR+ HD on order from Dr. Peppard, after reading much about the way this amp matches with both RS1is & Senn HD-600s.  That being said, I've been putting some serious thought to getting HE-500s.  How does this headphone match with the EAR+?  I've heard that the HE-5 & HE-6 are really power hungry, but the HE-500 has better sensitivity to make them friendlier to tube amps.  Any opinions/advice would be welcomed.
Thanks,
Bob

Edit - I have decided to upgrade to the Super II.  I figure the additional flexibility of more power is worth the extra $150.

Feb 23, 2012 at 9:20 PM Post #884 of 1,382

Quote:
What MacedonianHero wrote about his Audeze LCD-2 would definitely still apply to the HiFiMan HE-500
In fact, it might be even more obviously under-powered because the Audeze is more efficient than the HiFiMan.

I think it wasn't just a power thing, but also a synergy thing with the MAD Ear+HD. That said, the Super II looks like it might be a better match in both regards.
smile.gif

Feb 24, 2012 at 5:45 AM Post #885 of 1,382
I currently own the RS1i paired with the EAR+ HD and the HE-500 paired with the Lyr. While I was waiting for my Lyr on backorder I was using the high impedance output with the HE-500 and was very impressed with the sound.

Until my Lyr arrived.

I love the RS1i and the synergy with the MAD is legendary but the HE-500 really does open up with the extra power the Lyr delivers. I don't have thousands for the dark star or other equally expensive amps but I really do believe that Schiit has delivered an amazing product for an equally amazing price that gives the orthos the power to shine.
Quote:
I know this thread has been dormant for a while, but I'd like to pose a question.  I have a EAR+ HD on order from Dr. Peppard, after reading much about the way this amp matches with both RS1is & Senn HD-600s.  That being said, I've been putting some serious thought to getting HE-500s.  How does this headphone match with the EAR+?  I've heard that the HE-5 & HE-6 are really power hungry, but the HE-500 has better sensitivity to make them friendlier to tube amps.  Any opinions/advice would be welcomed.
Thanks,
Bob

Users who are viewing this thread

Back