1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

MAD Ear+ Purist HD thread.

Discussion in 'Headphone Amps (full-size)' started by lmilhan, May 22, 2007.
First

Back
82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91
  1. Unchi
    From my experience, it takes a while(hundreds of hours) to settle, but after that it remains consistent. This amp is in its own league, had it for a few years and never looking back.

BobG55 likes this.
  2. ToneDeath
    Hey Joe, I've been using the Schitt Gungnir Multibit DAC with my Ear+HD about a year now. Great combination, great company.

TD

3. ToneDeath
    Hey Joe, I'm using the Schiit Gungnir Multibit with the MAD Ear + HD. It sounds good to my ears, but what do I know, so many variables and everyone hears differentally.

4. canali
    i just bought the massdrop fostex th x00 ebony cans....still have my mad earplus purist hd
    and a chord mojo....a colleague of mine (a bit of a dick who disses chord products)
    suggested ditching both and getting the just released
    mass drop eddie current zdt jr....https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-eddie-current-zdt-jr

but to me my current amps are quite good in quality.
    any imput?

btw: i don't listen to cans nearly as much as i do to live music nowadays: thru my naim muso
    or desktop focal alpha 50s with the mojo as a (fab sounding) dac.

5. parbaked
    Your colleague is likely wrong.
    The Massdrop amp is based on a $350 Russian amp by a company called Laconic Audio.
    http://laconiclab.ru/laconic_night_blues_mini.html
    It has nothing to do with Eddie Current or the ZDT except that Craig bought one for fun and liked it.

There is nothing about the design or components that lead me to believe it will be better than your MAD...

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
    whirlwind likes this.
  6. ladavid
    I actually joined the drop - its pretty affordable and will be fun to compare to my MAD amp. Sadly not likely to ship til next summer so will be long wait for comparisons but have read good things about both night blues (great name) and Eddie Current amps. Have same cans as you (Fostex) - with the MAD amp they kicked my 650's good.

7. canali
    reading on super audio thread this eddie amp is good for high impedence cans....
    and the massdrops, in contrast, are pretty easy to drive right?

8. ladavid
    seems like it - may finally hear what all the fuss is about with the 650's as it does seem they are underpowered with the MAD amp when compared to the Fostex.

9. parbaked
    Dr P uses HD650 and design the Ear + to drive them well.
    If you feel gain is too low make sure you 're using 12ax7 tubes and not 5751 as the 12ax7 have approximately 40% more gain than the 5751 tubes.

10. ladavid
    the issue with the 650's is less gain and more lack of dynamics and tone when compared to the massdrop fostex

First

Back
82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91